Suspected industrial waste found in Rayong compound of Win Process Co.

image.jpeg

Officials from the Industrial Works Department have found what they suspect is industrial waste, buried in a landfill next to the warehouse of the Win Process recycling plant in Ban Khai district of Rayong province.

With the help of neighbourhood residents, who pointed out the suspect landfill, officials used a backhoe to excavate.

Three holes were dug and the officials found waste, which emits a very strong odour. They took samples to be tested in a laboratory, to determine whether the waste is aluminium dross or other chemicals.

Many used car tires were also found in one of the holes.

It is suspected that Win Process did not recycle industrial waste, of which it took deliveries from other factories in the industrial estate, but merely buried it, resulting in toxic substances seeping through the ground and into natural waterways.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-06-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

On the June 2, it is reported that Police Lieutenant Colonel Witthaya Kulbun, Deputy Superintendent (Investigation), Ban Khai Police Station, brought the owner/director of the Winprocess factory to Rayong Court for a custody hearing, accused of possessing dangerous substances.

A request was made for bail which was denied, and the owner was then sent to be held at Rayong Central Prison.

He had initially , been arrested by police at Phachi Police Station, Ayutthaya, on charges of forgery of documents on May 29th, and was released on 20000 baht bail there, before being transferred to Ban Khai Police Station, for questioning.

Further details of the previous incidents at these factories, can be found below.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1325863-fire-sparks-arson-concerns-at-rayong-chemical-warehouse/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1326393-chemical-store-blaze-in-ayutthaya-triggers-evacuation-of-hospital-and-local-community/?_fromLogin=1&_fromLogout=1#google_vignette

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Close the factory down... Jail the owners.

Time to get serious.

Fully agree.

The 2 factories have never been operated legally, and been subject to previous prosecutions. iI is also now, being investigated that the fires at the factories were possible arson, to hid evidence, as possible incendiary devices we found at the scene.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Theory said:

🤔😆🤣Amazing 

Not defending the small bail sum, but at that time he was only facing a forgery of documents charge.

When released on bail he was taken by police, firstly to Map Ta Phut Police Station to face charges of possession of dangerous substances. and a charge of violating an official order regarding such possession, as there was an outstanding arrest warrant, which is not related to the fires.

After being questioned on those charges, he was bailed again and then taken to Ban Khai Police Station, which has led to his detention at Rayong Central Prison.

The full police and Ministry of Industry investigation, into the fires and the operations of the factories, is on going, and there is expected to be further charges.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, bradiston said:

When this story first broke, I found a listing of shareholders online, revealing that 17% of the stock was held by a government ministry. There is no trace of that listing that I can find right now. I wonder why?

Neither can I find any info on the shareholders of Win Process Co Ltd.

• Like 1

Found this picture of one of the sample holes, the black material, believed to be chemical waste, has been taken away for test, to determine what it contains and what is a suitable way to clean the site.

IMG_3089.jpeg

On 6/4/2024 at 6:36 AM, bradiston said:

When this story first broke, I found a listing of shareholders online, revealing that 17% of the stock was held by a government ministry. There is no trace of that listing that I can find right now. I wonder why?

I was about to post something similar. 

I know some of the owners of another 'Win' company... surely must be related.