I was told I live in a police state...

Posted (edited)

(Voice typing enabled - not an excuse, just an explanation.) I recently learned, that's the way laws tend to get changed in Thailand, it's by petition. We all are thankful for the recent changes to TM 30 law allowing us to file our own. However there's still landlords who don't want to. Whether it be for taxes or just so they don't have to be scrutinized by the government. We all admit that it's difficult to get legal help because in a civil matter you shouldn't need lawyers.“ discuss it with your landlord. If your landlord won't discuss it discuss it with your landlord.” to us westerners that seems absurd. When in Rome come to mind?

Over the last 4 1/2 months, for those of you who might be familiar with psychology, imagine a Holmes and Rahe  Stress Index score of 3200. 

For those of you that are not familiar a score of 300 in one year, in a normal healthy adult, would begin to display physical manifestations. Imagine what a score of 3200 over 4 1/2 months does to a man with Parkinson's disease it was doing quite well until then.

Why you ask? I worked with immigration to document what they were doing made it so they had no choice but to go to immigration with the lease, stand there all day proving that day were the landlord by getting documents from me via messenger, and now the lease is attached to them.

An expired lease. Perfectly normal section 570 of the Thai CCC accounts for this. Misunderstanding that only leases written for more than three years have to be registered forget the fact that an expired lease is an expired lease. Whether it's expired by the date and you continue to live there, or it's expired naturally by the three-year limit, really doesn't matter.

This landlord actually told me how he did it. Told me how by not filing with immigration, he avoids scrutiny. Do you really think immigration doesn't know? Didn't know the last four years?

Now landlord understands that, you wouldn't believe the things that are happening. Trespasses for corrosion to sign a new lease. Wouldn't you in the face of nearly getting caught decided to step back and start following the law? The new lease is actually following the exact same pattern of purposely going for one year but now has an entrapment for 10 years paying everybody's taxes. They honestly think this is OK. When they came to my door one day they stood there crowds can be. As if they were doing everything right to come and trespass and say, “ get out of the room. Give me the room.” while pointing outside and declaring he's a lawyer and the owner who i is a lawyer, and the owner, that i've never met before in four years.

Now we've got defamation. They're telling the neighbors that I'm the one being rude. Said I refuse to pay the rent. When in reality a legal review shows that they changed the entire lease on me. Using legal language in a chat that says that if I make any payment at all, I'm either entrapped to a new lease, or is it the current lease I have has something in it that they're going to hold me to. Their demand letter saying I was late paying the rent had no legal basis whatsoever. I pay the rent by the 10th by convention. It was the 8th and they were trying to say it was eight days late. That if I didn't pay on time they were going to take legal action to hold me to the lease. So I have the least checked out. Yep. The new lease that they've slipped in without my signature certainly doesn't trap me to 10 years.

It's kind of like transparency in communication, except being transparent about intentions that should be kept hidden. One has to wonder. Is this real? I ordered a translation of the lease from Fiverr. The woman was so appalled she's willing to send a petition.

Not only are these things unlawful. But being done by a lawyer, or let us keep in mind someone who's saying they're a lawyer. Hold certain moral implications. Now add to it a UN Convention that Thailand fully participates in about the rights of people with disabilities. Yet for every time I point out to them the obviousness of what they're doing rather than backing down they do more.

In all seriousness I've been through so much in my life then it seems trivial to me but you my Parkinson's disease... I'm totally debilitated. Can't even care for myself anymore. Meanwhile they keep trespassing, coercing, using my disease against me to keep me from going to the police. Having the neighbors do it for them isolating me because what Thai person wants to  get involved involved with conflict, at what sane person when there's a lawyer involved who has acted in a volatile manner wants to be a party to that. They don't realize that by helping me, under the disabilities acts, they're actually protected.

For those of my brothers and sisters, my fellow expats, I now feel your pains that you've been feeling for the 14 years that I've been here. It petitions the way the laws get changed let's do that. Let's not embarrassed Thailand like we did about TM 30 in the past by discussing the problem of TN 30 online and its potential civil rights or whatever it was everyone was arguing. Let's discuss the need for a petition.

It's better for everyone. Effects change. It's doing something about it. I'm not gonna leave it because I simply can't. But if anyone would like to join the petition, one simple e-mail to the civil rights office here in thailand on my behalf I'll be happy to tell you the story.

And yes, i'm smiling. I've been here for 14 years. I know how to smile 😉

I'll come check on this every few days if I can. Have gone through some pretty extensive recovery right now that I really can't recover because the stress isn't over. I've gotta have relief from them enough to be able to build the police report over 4 1/2 months spanning 300 documents. Any volunteers ha ha ha?

Edited by SailingHome
Voice typing error
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

Stress free life is easy.  Just ask if prospective landlord will do TM30.

So much easier.   Why would anyone try to force someone to do something (provide a service to you) that they don't want to.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, your post is very hard to follow. You are having problems with a lease, a landlord, TM30 ? You want to start a petition ?

If you have a specific question or request, maybe ask it directly in a simple form.

Not hard to follow at all ... 

... OP comes to a foreign country and wants everyone to cater to his/her/its wishes, whether they want to or not.

Wish they'd stay home, as the world doesn't revolve around them, and they are not important.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2024 at 8:30 AM, KhunLA said:

Not hard to follow at all ... 

... OP comes to a foreign country and wants everyone to cater to his/her/its wishes, whether they want to or not.

Wish they'd stay home, as the world doesn't revolve around them, and they are not important.

Yes, how dare OP expect people to follow laws and being honest...

1 hour ago, zappalot said:

Yes, how dare OP expect people to follow laws and being honest...

What country are you or the OP from, where everyone follows the law and is honest ?

They have a civil & criminal court system, along with prisons for a reason ... worldwide.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

What country are you or the OP from, where everyone follows the law and is honest ?

They have a civil & criminal court system, along with prisons for a reason ... worldwide.

I can not find the statement where someone said that in his/her country everyone follows the law and is honest...

If someone runs into a fraud it is his/her right to publish it, why not? Independent from the country.

In addition: you do not seem to know much about this countries legal system. I do, having been at court and won against fraudsters, here in Bangkok. In a case impossible to happen in a civilized country...

• Haha 1