Seeking Advice

Hi all. This is my first post, so please excuse me if I either ask a stupid question, a very stupid question or one already asked.

My situation: Divorced one year now, and totally stressed out with my 'rat race' job. Have been to Thailand a couple of times to visit friends living in CMX, and have fallen in love with the place. It really has made me question why I work all the hours, only to be ripped off in every direction from my own country (UK).

I wont ask you all the normal Visa questions, as I am going into London tomorrow, and will take a trip to the Thai Embassy. In addition to this, there is plenty of info on the net, if not already covered off in this forum.

The Plan: Apply for a 3 month tourist visa (probably a double), and in that time find a business (probably a bar or something to do with motorbikes) that I can buy, so that I stand a chance of satisfying the non B visa requirements so that I can stay much longer. The long and short of it is, that I have money in the bank, but it wont last forever, so I need some sort of investment to keep the money topped up.

Sorry if this has turned into 3 page SA. Any advice, guidance and pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

My guess is that you are in your mid-20s.......my advice would be come here for holidays until you are able to support yourself indefinetly might sound hard but the odds of you making a bar or motorbike shop work are small. Obviously this is without me knowing your financial situation......the way i did was to build up a property portfolio back in the UK which i now live off here in Thailand. Anyways goodluck.

You have three choices.

1. Get a job here… the pay however is much lower than the UK here, even if you’re fortunate to get a job.

2. Start a business. Traditionally these would be high odds of failure even in your own country.

3. Buy a business. First off a disclaimer. I’m the Managing Director of Sunbelt Asia, were part of the Worlds largest business advisor network consisting of 389 offices in the world that bring buyers and sellers together. I’m biased on acquiring an existing business but facts also prove year in and year out that I’m right. Logic alone would dictate your odds of success is much higher by looking at 10-15 actual businesses that are up and going rather than one business on the drawing board. What a huge advantage to have cash flow the first day, having clients, trained staff, suppliers and best of all… training from the Seller who will tell you his mistakes and methods that he did find worked. You may be asking “If it’s so good…why they are selling?” A number of GOOD businesses are available because of partnership disputes, divorce, relocation, kid’s school, retirement and even burn out. Feel free to review www.sunbeltasia.com It doesn’t cost you anything to look at the businesses available and if anything you’ll gain valuable knowledge on what does work in Thailand. You'll see good businesses and ones that don't compare in your mind. We have 4 offices in Thailand so we have staff in most cities that can help you.

If you decide to form a company, get a work permit and visa. We can help as well. Our licensed lawyers welcome the opportunity to do so. Accurate advice with low fees. Go to Birmingham or Hull and get a one year multi entry 'B" visa for starters. Please don't come here on a tourist visa.

http://www.thailand-visa.com

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com

Greg Lange

Managing Director

Sunbelt Asia

www.sunbeltasia.com

Hi Chaps, thanks for your replies.

Nam: As I have only been out of a 15 year marriage for one year, I am not keen on getting re-married just yet. But thanks anyway.

Thaiflyer: If only your guess was true!! I am 39 and tipical of someone who didn't get on the property ladder until I was in my late 20's. Before that I just squandered my money on my hobbies and enjoying myself. Now I am paying for it, in as much as I didn't end up with vast sums of money after my divorce, and settlement. The problem I have with your idea is, I now do not own any property. I can afford to buy again, but would end up with a motgage to high, to be of any benefit to live off the rent.

The reason I metioned about buying a bar, is that a friend of mine did just that, and has been there for just over a year now, and appears to be making it work ok. He went out there with about the same amount of money as I will (below 50K).

Greg: Thank you for you reply, some interesting comments. I will look at your web site. I did think about coming out on a tourist visa, as I didn't think I would stand a chance of getting a 1 year 'B' to start with.

I suppose it would be to much to ask if you ave any jobs going that I could do? (LOL).

All: Thanks again for you replies, I am more than happy to listen to any advice.

Regards

Hi all.  This is my first post, so please excuse me if I either ask a stupid question, a very stupid question or one already asked.

My situation:  Divorced one year now, and totally stressed out with my 'rat race' job.  Have been to Thailand a couple of times to visit friends living in CMX, and have fallen in love with the place.  It really has made me question why I work all the hours, only to be ripped off in every direction from my own country (UK).

I wont ask you all the normal Visa questions, as I am going into London tomorrow, and will take a trip to the Thai Embassy.  In addition to this, there is plenty of info on the net, if not already covered off in this forum.

The Plan:  Apply for a 3 month tourist visa (probably a double), and in that time find a business (probably a bar or something to do with motorbikes) that I can buy, so that I stand a chance of satisfying the non B visa requirements so that I can stay much longer.  The long and short of it is, that I have money in the bank, but it wont last forever, so I need some sort of investment to keep the money topped up.

Sorry if this has turned into 3 page SA.  Any advice, guidance and pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

If you need some sincere advice, try to think about this. There are approx. 162 countries on this earth. Which things are better in Thailand than in other countries? How do you plan to stay longterm here? Did you check the immigration laws? Why would Thailand be interested in someone who appears to be in the middle of a midlife crises? Which kind of people does Thailand want to attract? How's the situation at other countries?

I don't wanna sound negative, but please check out other countries too. There are girls in other countries too, life may even be better or similar. The Tom Yam Kung however is best in Thailand but it doesn't come with a visa, only with a bill.

Good luck

Dutchy

PS your comment about being ripped off in your own country was interesting, you don't think people will try to rip you off here?

Blade

There are two Bars for sale in Washington Square

(Sukhumvit Soi 22 - I Think!)

See details at:

http://BangkokAtoZ.com/The_Rounds_09JUL2004.htm

Crystal Bar in Washington Square Available

Another Washington Square Bar Available: Prince of Wales

I do not know if they are still "going concerns" or not ...

AND

in the July 12th Asian edition of TIME Magazine

an article about Washington Square in general:

http://www.time.com/time/asia/tga/article/...-660995,00.html

Roger

Dutchy: Thanks for the comments. The reason Thailand appeals to me is, not only the weather, the girls and a relaxed way of life, but also I have friends and family living there. I do plan to visit other countries as well, as I don't want to get to blinkered.

Perhaps the 'being ripped off' statement was a bit to strong. What I mean is, that it is not until you actually visit a place like Thailand, that you realise how much more you pay for the very same thing in the UK. I except that there is a massive wage difference though.

Your probably right about the 'midlife crises' thing, but hopefully not. The bottom line is, I have a chance to do something different in life. I am not lazy or afraid of hard work. I have spent all my working life in a very good job, working long hours (might explain the marriage breakdown). I am not looking for a meal ticket, just something different.

I have and keep checking the immigration web sites. I am worried that I don't stand a chance, hence I thought I would ask people like yourself with the experiance.

Roger: Thanks, I will check them out.

Regards

Go for it.

Visit on the tourist visa, enjoy yourself and if things work out you can always pop out to Malaysia and get the Non Imm B to go with the job.

As you will have gathered most of the people in this forum love Thailand. However I have seen people sent here to work, who could not wait to leave. It is the sort of country you either love or hate.

See how it works for you.