Kodi boxes

carlyai

On 6/22/2024 at 2:23 AM, KhunHeineken said:

Can it play Windows apps?  No.  I didn't think so.

You say that as if it's a plus. My mini-pc, even though it came with a licensed windows installation, has never run windows. I overwrote the windows installation before letting it install that windows garbage and installed debian. I'm pretty sure I can do much more with my linux mini-pc than you can do with your windows one.

And I use android tv boxes to watch tv in multiple locations in my home. Having a mini pc in each location would be ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/22/2024 at 2:33 AM, KhunHeineken said:

A lot of these android boxes can not update to the latest android OS, but a mini PC with Blue Stacks running can.

I've received a number of OTA updates for my tox 3 and now tox 4 boxes, some upgrading the OS. I have an HK box in a drawer somewhere that never received updates. It was a POS anyway compared to the same spec'ed tox 3. It's all about the manufacturer, whether they compile in ntfs/exfat, drivers for more remote functionality, etc etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

If it's easier/faster to use on your PC, then you purchased an Android box barely fit for purpose.

Booting into Windows and then into Android and then on to your applications will not be easier and faster than just turning on your Android box. 

We can time it if you like. 

Which sequences are you claiming are easier and faster?

''Booting into Windows and then into Android and then on to your applications" 

Why do you think I would do that ??  Have shortcut Icon on Desktop named TV = takes me direct to that Harddrive to all I want to watch 

Few years ago Not Possible so yes used to use Bluestacks Android Emulator, for watching on PC not anymore   > uninstalled Bluestacks last year off my PC as no longer in this day and age needed

Kodi is available as a native application for Android, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS and Windows operating systems, running on most common processor architectures

+ all the other TV programme's I watch also run directly on PC  Just download the APK for Windows on PC or Android for a Android box >  so have the same sites on both

No idea about the New version Android 14 box + speed > my newest box is Android 10 also have a Android 3 + a 5 + a 7 box

45 minutes ago, ignis said:

Why do you think I would do that ??  Have shortcut Icon on Desktop named TV = takes me direct to that Harddrive to all I want to watch 

Few years ago Not Possible so yes used to use Bluestacks Android Emulator, for watching on PC not anymore   > uninstalled Bluestacks last year off my PC as no longer in this day and age needed

Kodi is available as a native application for Android, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS and Windows operating systems, running on most common processor architectures

+ all the other TV programme's I watch also run directly on PC  Just download the APK for Windows on PC or Android for a Android box >  so have the same sites on both

No idea about the New version Android 14 box + speed > my newest box is Android 10 also have a Android 3 + a 5 + a 7 box

So you boot into Windows and then go to your storage and double click on your media....or open your media player of choice and select your media via the media player GUI. With an Android box, you can do exactly the same. Switch on, select KODI and it opens up with access to all of your locally stored media and media in the cloud or NAS.

What can be easier and faster than that?

Aside from that, no one is suggesting that using an existing PC is not a viable proposition. What is being discussed is that it is not necessary to buy a PC over an Android box for the tasks described. It doesn't do the job any better and just costs more. 

Edited by NowNow
  • Agree 1

On 6/22/2024 at 1:55 AM, KhunHeineken said:

No such thing as a "Kodi box." 

Can you post a link for a "Kodi box" for sale? 

"Kodi box" is a common term for Android media boxes because they're most often used primarily just to run Kodi. But you could call your mini PC your Kodi box if you wished. The OP clearly specified he was only looking for suggestions about the Android ones. Android ones. Got that yet?

This'll suffice as a link; thanks, @bkk6060:

Moving on:

If it was a mini PC, just update the android emulator which emulates the latest android OS, thus, it's never "too old." 

Like you merely updated your old WinXP machine to run Win 10? But you said you just got a new machine. WOT??? Someday your beloved mini PC will suffer the same fate, one way or the other. Hardware & software die, become obsolete, evolve.

OP didn't say it was the version of Android that got too old, you see. False assumption.

A member keeps banging on about a mini PC costing "4x more." 

As said, 4x of not much is still not much. 

Not much is relative to what's wanted and needed for a particular purpose, in this case merely to stream and play media files. Paying 4x more for useless features is--too much. Nor did anyone suggest the cheapest option. Android media boxes have a range of price/quality ratios, and mid-range or above is what's been suggested here.

If I started a thread, "Any suggestions for a mini PC" would you recommend an android box to me?  :cheesy:

No, as it would be irrelevant and off-topic. I don't share the obsession with mini PCs we have around here. 

That "narrow particular purpose" could be expanded, for not that much more money, and offer longevity.  Simple, really, yet lost on some here. 

But the OP has expressed no need or desire to expand that particular purpose. Nor would longevity necessarily be an issue. Say each Android box lasted 5 years. Buying 3 more then, w/ the latest features, means he's good for 20 years. And your mini PC? And you, in 20 years? Simple, really, yet perpetually lost on--you.

Edited by BigStar

On 6/21/2024 at 7:37 PM, bkk6060 said:

Some people really need to get over themselves and their arrogance.  Anyone with common sense knows what a Kodi box refers too.  Just search it plenty of Ads and reports referring to these boxes as "Kodi boxes".   Unless one is so dumb they cannot figure it out.

20240621_122950.jpg

But what if, just if, there was a device that could do both, and do it better, and faster, and for longer, even over future android OS releases? 

Yes, some people really need to get over themselves.  :smile:

Those Nvidia Shields are more expensive than a mini PC.  :smile:

On 6/22/2024 at 1:20 AM, ignis said:

Problem is buying a loaded Kodi box, it has been Illegal for a Seller to sell a loaded Kodi Box from 2018 in many part of Europe, and illegal here in Thailand since 2020 

So you are buying a Android box = legal, what Apps you put in the box is up to you......... last Android 10 box I bought here there was NOTHING in Kodi icon up to me to put what apps I wanted......  do find the old XBMC Apps was far easier to use

So is it a Android Box  or a Kodi Box or a Media Player ?

Legal  so say Kodi Box has nothing on it, yet million of people still call it a Kodi Box 😖

On the point of legality.

Interesting article.  Thailand related. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39947622

"In a statement, the Premier League said that it had supported Thai police in efforts to crack down on the illegal use of Kodi and IPTV boxes." 

I'm sure no member of AN would ever watch a pirate stream on their "Kodi box."   :cheesy:

11 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

On the point of legality.

Interesting article.  Thailand related. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39947622

"In a statement, the Premier League said that it had supported Thai police in efforts to crack down on the illegal use of Kodi and IPTV boxes." 

I'm sure no member of AN would ever watch a pirate stream on their "Kodi box."   :cheesy:

You really need to dig up 7 year old articles to make your point? What a loser you are, and then I don't mean only in this thread, but every thread on any forum you engage in.

Android boxes have never been illegal in Thailand, from a certain year they required an import licence, if you purchased from abroad.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2024 at 5:38 AM, NowNow said:

Can your laptop play and stream 4k video? If so, would you sell it for 1400 baht?

I am still using the Android box I bought years ago with Android 9. No issues with 'app developers no longer supporting...' So boxes with Android 13 should be ok for many years.

OP doesn't need to run Windows and your 4x the cost mini PC does not outperform the Android box for when it comes to the criteria supplied by the OP.

It's you 'banging on' on price. Everyone else is discussing devices suitable to the task. Android box does the job. Running Windows is not part of the criteria, so no need to spend 4x more to get the same result. 

The decent android boxes are well over 1400 baht, so, for a lousy "4x" as you put it, a mini PC does it all, and long after developers stop supporting the current android OS. 

It really is you banging on about the bare minimum requirements.  Not everyone is a Cheap Charlie here.  Once again, different if it was 1,400 baht v 20,000 baht, but it's not. 

You talk out performance, but what about versatility?  What about all the extra options available?  What about the 2 in 1 nature of my suggestion? 

No, you just go back to suggesting cheap rubbish, which, I freely admit will work, and never said otherwise.  All I have said is for not much more money, you get a whole lot more device in a mini PC.

4x of not much is still not much. 

On 6/22/2024 at 5:42 AM, NowNow said:

No, price has nothing to do with it. @BigStar mentioned the nVidia Shield, that's more expensive than your mini PC but overkill for what is needed. The 1200 to 1400 baht Android box will easily cover what is needed.

No need for you to lose your marbles over it.

There are cheaper boxes than the 1400 baht box you suggest that can still do the job as well.  Why don't you suggest them?  Of, that's right, you sell the 1400 baht boxes.  :smile:

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Sad 1

On 6/22/2024 at 5:44 AM, NowNow said:

Actually most Android Boxes that I seen have a form of KODI installed. It's not always called KODI. If they call it a KODI box that the likelihood is that there are purchasing it in order to run KODI. Hence...KODI box. No need to be pedantic about it.

It should be a "vanilla" box, right?  Straight from the factory.  Brand new. No 3rd Party apps installed.  Anything else, well, could be anything else.  :smile:

On 6/22/2024 at 9:26 AM, treetops said:

Well said, but I think KhunH is just bored and likes to pontificate, even if it does make him sound out of touch or a bit retarded (or both as in this case).

Hardly. 

When it comes to electronics, you get what you pay for. 

Some may like to put up with buffering and having to restart all the time, but not me.  I pay a bit more, because I want a better experience.  Simple as that. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, ignis said:

Somehow it is easier and faster to use on PC .. maybe because better faster CPU ? better Graphics card ? far more Ram ?

So can understand why some would rather use a Mini PC over a Android box.....  these days can download the APK in Android or Windows or for that matter Linux or macOS

That about sums it up. 

As I said, you get what you pay for. 

If someone's budget is only 1400 baht, fine, but I rely on my electronics to stream when I want, uninterupted, as well as other things.  A 1400 baht android box can't deliver to performance I require.  

I merely suggested a mini PC, because for a bit more money, you get a superior device, and the other member has been like a dog with a bone ever since trying to sell his 1400 baht boxes.   

12 hours ago, gargamon said:

You say that as if it's a plus. My mini-pc, even though it came with a licensed windows installation, has never run windows. I overwrote the windows installation before letting it install that windows garbage and installed debian. I'm pretty sure I can do much more with my linux mini-pc than you can do with your windows one.

And I use android tv boxes to watch tv in multiple locations in my home. Having a mini pc in each location would be ridiculous.

Good for you.

I have a mini PC and an android box because sometimes I run two sports streams at the same time, on two different screens in my lounge room.

I have never said "don't buy an android box."  I merely suggested a mini PC and another member criticized the suggest, for nothing other than "4x, 4x, 4x,4x." 

4x of not much is not much.  It's laughable. 

12 hours ago, gargamon said:

I've received a number of OTA updates for my tox 3 and now tox 4 boxes, some upgrading the OS. I have an HK box in a drawer somewhere that never received updates. It was a POS anyway compared to the same spec'ed tox 3. It's all about the manufacturer, whether they compile in ntfs/exfat, drivers for more remote functionality, etc etc.

What type of "manufacturer" do you think you would get for 1400 baht?   Surely they would offer OTA updates until Android 20 for 1400 baht.  :cheesy:

Edited by KhunHeineken

10 hours ago, NowNow said:

Aside from that, no one is suggesting that using an existing PC is not a viable proposition. What is being discussed is that it is not necessary to buy a PC over an Android box for the tasks described. It doesn't do the job any better and just costs more. 

So, if the OP has an old laptop laying around, repurpose it and save 1400 baht.  After all, why pay even 1400 baht?  :smile:

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

But you could call your mini PC your Kodi box if you wished. The OP clearly specified he was only looking for suggestions about the Android ones.

Maybe the OP didn't know android can run on a PC.

Maybe when he found out, the OP thought, "Wow.  I'll just put Kodi on my everyday PC and run a HDMI cable to my TV."  Got that? 

Like you merely updated your old WinXP machine to run Win 10? But you said you just got a new machine. WOT??? Someday your beloved mini PC will suffer the same fate, one way or the other. Hardware & software die, become obsolete, evolve.

Never suggested otherwise. 

1400 baht boxes wouldn't offer much by way of OTA android OS updates, where as Windows can run emulators pretty much until death. 

mid-range or above is what's been suggested here.

1400 baht is not mid range.  It's rubbish range.

I don't share the obsession with mini PCs we have around here. 

No obsession. 

Mini PC's have come down in price to the point they can compete with android boxes, but offer a lot more.  Simple as that.  However, if one can only afford 1400 baht, then fine. 

But the OP has expressed no need or desire to expand that particular purpose.

That's why it's called an internet forum.  For the exchange of information. 

Maybe the OP didn't know a mini PC could run android.  Maybe the OP didn't know how cheap mini PC's are now. 

I merely suggested a mini PC as an option to consider. 

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

You really need to dig up 7 year old articles to make your point? What a loser you are, and then I don't mean only in this thread, but every thread on any forum you engage in.

Android boxes have never been illegal in Thailand, from a certain year they required an import licence, if you purchased from abroad.

You are a 128 post troll.  No doubt banned before, and back with a new username. 

Did I say android boxes are illegal????  No. 

The article just showed that "fully loaded" often means illegal streaming, as the other member alluded to, and the article shows that sometimes the people getting paid for the streams are arrested, and when they do, there goes your "fully loaded." 

Edited by KhunHeineken

on the Web it appears I am not alone  'easier faster and smoother on a computer'  many reports resent 2024 and going back to 2017

eg:

The reason why streaming is easier and smoother on your computer is because your computer is more powerful than your android box, Because streaming is so intensive, it affects the quality of how the stream goes. Usually for most, it cuts your framerates in half. Your android box are not as powerful as your computer and probably don't have a dedicated graphics card, so they have a hard time streaming.

Hardware Differences: Your PC likely has more powerful hardware compared to your Android TV box. PCs typically have faster processors, more RAM, and better storage capabilities than most Android TV boxes. This extra processing power can make a significant difference in how quickly the Kodi application can search for and retrieve movie links.

+ 100 more of why a PC is easier and faster on your computer than most Android boxes

but again it all to do with price you want to pay > Android Box 1,400+ vs decent Mini PC 12,000+, mid range good PC 30.000+

Some people have it installed on there Laptops, when at home plug into TV to view on big screen 

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

The decent android boxes are well over 1400 baht, so, for a lousy "4x" as you put it, a mini PC does it all, and long after developers stop supporting the current android OS. 

It really is you banging on about the bare minimum requirements.  Not everyone is a Cheap Charlie here.  Once again, different if it was 1,400 baht v 20,000 baht, but it's not. 

You talk out performance, but what about versatility?  What about all the extra options available?  What about the 2 in 1 nature of my suggestion? 

No, you just go back to suggesting cheap rubbish, which, I freely admit will work, and never said otherwise.  All I have said is for not much more money, you get a whole lot more device in a mini PC.

4x of not much is still not much. 

What makes an Android box decent in your eyes? It seem the 1200 to 1400 baht ToX4 is more than adequate to the task. @gargamon appears quite satisfied with his purchase. Job done for no more than 1400 baht. Why pay more for things that aren't necessary?

• Thumbs Up 1

Good for you.

I have a mini PC and an android box because sometimes I run two sports streams at the same time, on two different screens in my lounge room.

I have never said "don't buy an android box."  I merely suggested a mini PC and another member criticized the suggest, for nothing other than "4x, 4x, 4x,4x." 

4x of not much is not much.  It's laughable. 

Because it was a laughably stupid suggestion to buy mini PCs as opposed to Android boxes. Spending 4x more to get the same job done. Idiotic.

• Agree 1

What type of "manufacturer" do you think you would get for 1400 baht?   Surely they would offer OTA updates until Android 20 for 1400 baht.  :cheesy:

He's told you MANY times. A good manufacturer. Do you think your mini PC will be good for Windows 20? Why post utter rubbish?

• Love It 1

Maybe the OP didn't know android can run on a PC.

Maybe when he found out, the OP thought, "Wow.  I'll just put Kodi on my everyday PC and run a HDMI cable to my TV."  Got that? 

Never suggested otherwise. 

1400 baht boxes wouldn't offer much by way of OTA android OS updates, where as Windows can run emulators pretty much until death. 

1400 baht is not mid range.  It's rubbish range.

No obsession. 

Mini PC's have come down in price to the point they can compete with android boxes, but offer a lot more.  Simple as that.  However, if one can only afford 1400 baht, then fine. 

That's why it's called an internet forum.  For the exchange of information. 

Maybe the OP didn't know a mini PC could run android.  Maybe the OP didn't know how cheap mini PC's are now. 

I merely suggested a mini PC as an option to consider. 

OP knows.

Mini PC don't compete with Android boxes. Android box at 1400 baht can output 4k resolution at 60fps. How much would you have to pay for a mini PC or laptop in order to do the same? Answers on a postcard please.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are cheaper boxes than the 1400 baht box you suggest that can still do the job as well.  Why don't you suggest them?  Of, that's right, you sell the 1400 baht boxes.  :smile:

They aren't all equal. For example, the box the OP purchased is really an 800 baht box. It will only reliably play FHD material. Fine for the light usage criteria of the OP. 800 baht, not 7000+ baht.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ignis said:

on the Web it appears I am not alone  'easier faster and smoother on a computer'  many reports resent 2024 and going back to 2017

eg:

The reason why streaming is easier and smoother on your computer is because your computer is more powerful than your android box, Because streaming is so intensive, it affects the quality of how the stream goes. Usually for most, it cuts your framerates in half. Your android box are not as powerful as your computer and probably don't have a dedicated graphics card, so they have a hard time streaming.

Hardware Differences: Your PC likely has more powerful hardware compared to your Android TV box. PCs typically have faster processors, more RAM, and better storage capabilities than most Android TV boxes. This extra processing power can make a significant difference in how quickly the Kodi application can search for and retrieve movie links.

+ 100 more of why a PC is easier and faster on your computer than most Android boxes

but again it all to do with price you want to pay > Android Box 1,400+ vs decent Mini PC 12,000+, mid range good PC 30.000+

Some people have it installed on there Laptops, when at home plug into TV to view on big screen 

My laptop cannot output 4k via HDMI. My ToX Android box can. There goes your theory....

• Love It 1

That about sums it up. 

As I said, you get what you pay for. 

If someone's budget is only 1400 baht, fine, but I rely on my electronics to stream when I want, uninterupted, as well as other things.  A 1400 baht android box can't deliver to performance I require.  

I merely suggested a mini PC, because for a bit more money, you get a superior device, and the other member has been like a dog with a bone ever since trying to sell his 1400 baht boxes.   

This thread is not about the performance you require. It's about the performance required by @carlyai

• Agree 1

It should be a "vanilla" box, right?  Straight from the factory.  Brand new. No 3rd Party apps installed.  Anything else, well, could be anything else.  :smile:

I don't understand what you are writing here. Does Windows come with no applications and Telemetry? You really seem to be 'losing it' here. Is this your normal behaviour?

• Haha 1

You are a 128 post troll.  No doubt banned before, and back with a new username. 

Did I say android boxes are illegal????  No. 

The article just showed that "fully loaded" often means illegal streaming, as the other member alluded to, and the article shows that sometimes the people getting paid for the streams are arrested, and when they do, there goes your "fully loaded." 

Did the OP ask for a 'fully loaded' KODI box, Mr Strawman?

• Agree 1