Non-O Extension and Visa Exemption

Hello

I know this is probably fairly easy question but I couldn't navigate my way around in the forum to find relevant topics. I had Non-O extension about 4 years by now but this year my passport was expiring earlier than my Non-O extension deadline so instead of 1 year extension, they stamp my passport expiration date as ending date. At the time, immigration officers haven't mentioned I would have to renew my extension by this date, I thought they would give me a new stamp for the full 1 year when my new passport comes. So today I have learnt this is not possible and 400k was not seasoned  by 2 months in the bank now while there is less than 20 days left for my extension to expire.

A few things to note,

-Before getting my first Non-O extension, I was just getting Non-O ME visa from Savanakkhet and doing border hops, during one of hops in Cambodia border, I was told by an immigration officer that this would no longer be allowed and I should apply for Non-O extension.

-I went to Penang and got a Non-O visa from there again and then got Non-O extension.

-60 days extension from this last Non-O visa was already used up so it is not possible.

I was wondering if I could just do a border hop to get a visa exemption, then extend it by 60 day extension to visit wife and then apply to Non-O extension again. Is it possible to convert visa exemption to Non-O extension this way or do I have to go get a Non-O visa from a nearby consulate again?

48 minutes ago, Mercurialm said:

was wondering if I could just do a border hop to get a visa exemption, then extend it by 60 day extension to visit wife and then apply to Non-O extension again. Is it possible to convert visa exemption to Non-O

It is possible to enter visa exempt and apply at local immigration office for non O based on marriage and subsequent 12 month extension.

Why need extra 60 day extension to visit wife? 

Process outlined in this thread 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/

Just now, DrJack54 said:

It is possible to enter visa exempt and apply at local immigration office for non O based on marriage and subsequent 12 month extension.

Why need extra 60 day extension to visit wife? 

Thanks for clarifying my doubts. I need the 60 days extension as the money in the bank hasn't been seasoned for 2 months. I have recently moved the money back to my account so I will need to wait 2 months for that.

Do you think whether would I have any problem at the border while re-entering the country?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mercurialm said:

Thanks for clarifying my doubts. I need the 60 days extension as the money in the bank hasn't been seasoned for 2 months.

You have not read the thread link I posted.

For money in the bank method to apply for non O based on marriage or retirement only needs to be in Thai bank account in your name only on day of application.

That will give you a 90 day stamp.

In last 30 days of that permit with funds having been in bank for 2 months you can obtain 12 month extension 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

For money in the bank method to apply for non O based on marriage or retirement only needs to be in Thai bank account in your name only on day of application.

That will give you a 90 day stamp.

Sorry I have just read the link you have posted.

I am not exactly sure if I have made a mistake while explaining my situation. I am not looking to get a Non-O visa from a nearby consulate. I am wondering If I can just make a border hop and get a 30 days visa exemption. Can I extend this 30 days by another 60 days and eventually convert it to Non-O extension? 

I haven't been out of the country for quite a long time, I am not sure where the 90 days you have mentioned comes from. If I'm not mistaken, 90 days only comes from if you get a Non-O marriage visa and it is not possible to get this within the Kingdom. I have to leave the country and visit a nearby consulate which I am trying to avoid unless I really have to.  

19 minutes ago, Mercurialm said:

If I'm not mistaken, 90 days only comes from if you get a Non-O marriage visa and it is not possible to get this within the Kingdom.

Not completely clear where you are.

If in Thailand you can do a border bounce enter visa exempt and apply for non O at your local immigration office.

Yes you could then obtain 60 day extension to visit wife however not required.

You can obtain the non O immediately at local Thai immigration office if you have Thai bank account in your name only. 

13 minutes ago, Mercurialm said:

I am not exactly sure if I have made a mistake while explaining my situation. I am not looking to get a Non-O visa from a nearby consulate. I am wondering If I can just make a border hop and get a 30 days visa exemption. Can I extend this 30 days by another 60 days and eventually convert it to Non-O extension? 

If you do a border hop, on entry you will be granted permission of stay for 30/60 days.

The procedure for applying for the Non O based on Thai spouse at local Immigration is here:  VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

The 400K is only required to be in the bank on the day you submit the Non O application (no seasoning period).

On being granted the Non O, you will be granted a further permission of stay of 90 days.

This 90 days gives ample time for the 400K to be seasoned for the required 2 months for the 1-year extension application.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't been out of the country for quite a long time, I am not sure where the 90 days you have mentioned comes from. If I'm not mistaken, 90 days only comes from if you get a Non-O marriage visa and it is not possible to get this within the Kingdom.

It is possible to apply for the Non O at Immigration.
I posted the procedure above.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not completely clear where you are.

If in Thailand you can do a border bounce enter visa exempt and apply for non O at your local immigration office.

Sorry my bad. I am in Thailand. I wasn't really aware of being able to convert visa exemption to Non-O visa based on marriage. I thought this could be obtained outside of the Kingdom only. I've understood how it works now. Thanks for your help once again.

Just now, Liquorice said:

If you do a border hop, on entry you will be granted permission of stay for 30/60 days.

The procedure for applying for the Non O based on Thai spouse is here:  VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

The 400K is only required to be in the bank on the day you submit the Non O application (no seasoning period).

On being granted the Non O, you will be granted a further permission of stay of 90 days.

This 90 days gives ample time for the 400K to be seasoned for the required 2 months for the 1-year extension application.

Thanks a lot, I've understood the procedure now. I have already got the money in my account now, just didn't put it 2 months earlier as I thought they would be changing the date on my passport. Getting the 90 days would be more than enough.

• Like 1

Sorry my bad. I am in Thailand. I wasn't really aware of being able to convert visa exemption to Non-O visa based on marriage

Which office will you be using? 

BTW in the links posted you will notice TM87. That is part of application for obtaining non O from visa exempt entry 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which office will you be using? 

BTW in the links posted you will notice TM87. That is part of application for obtaining non O from visa exempt entry 

I've read on the other topic it must be the place where I live in so it will be Chachoengsao Immigration Office. 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Mercurialm said:

Thanks a lot, I've understood the procedure now. I have already got the money in my account now, just didn't put it 2 months earlier as I thought they would be changing the date on my passport.

For future reference.
An extension can only be dated up to the expiry date of a Passport, so if you haven't got 12 months validity on your passport, your extension will be reduced accordingly.

It's a matter of personal choice when to renew an expiring passport, taking your extension renewal date into account.

My extensions are due in July. When my current passport expires, it will be in the month of May.
I'll opt for a 10 month extension, rather than lose 10 months validity of my passport in that situation.

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

From OP...,

".....so it will be Chachoengsao Immigration Office" 

Yep, but that was posted AFTER you posted that there was no seasoning requirement, at the time you posted, the OP had not stated which office he was using.    🙂

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Yep, but that was posted AFTER you posted that there was no seasoning requirement, at the time you posted, the OP had not stated which office he was using.    🙂

I stated...

"Which office will you be using? 

Reason being that I'm well aware Jomitien requires two months seasoning for non O application.

I'm not about to qualify every post I make re non O or whatever with exceptions to the rules. 

Jomitien plays its own games. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I stated...

"Which office will you be using? 

Reason being that I'm well aware Jomitien requires two months seasoning for non O application.

I'm not about to qualify every post I make re non O or whatever with exceptions to the rules. 

Jomitien plays its own games. 

Regarding this, I have visited Chachoengsao Immigration today to ask about this and they have confirmed I can get Non-O visa by having 400k in the account, no seasoning required. However, they have mentioned I should fly out get a tourist visa instead of border crossing. They insist Turkish citizens cannot enter on visa exemption scheme while both Turkish and Thai official government websites clearly states Turkish citizens are eligible for 30 days visa exemption. I didn't insist on this and left as all I needed to hear was I could get the Non-O visa without seasoning the money.

I would appreciate any info regarding the border crossings with less hassle preferably Cambodia and Malaysia. I can pay more if there are still agents at the borders handling the process. 

9 minutes ago, Mercurialm said:

However, they have mentioned I should fly out get a tourist visa instead of border crossing. They insist Turkish citizens cannot enter on visa exemption scheme while both Turkish and Thai official government websites clearly states Turkish citizens are eligible for 30 days visa

I don't understand what they are telling you.

With a bank book in place your should be able to enter visa exempt and apply virtually straight away for a non O with a TM87 and required funds in bank account.

Regards asking about border bounce, I don't follow....

14 minutes ago, Mercurialm said:

However, they have mentioned I should fly out get a tourist visa instead of border crossing.

They mentioned "obtain a tourist visa" that's not a border bounce.

Tourist visa is obtained in Thai consulate/embassies.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't understand what they are telling you.

With a bank book in place your should be able to enter visa exempt and apply virtually straight away for a non O with a TM87 and required funds in bank account.

Regards asking about border bounce, I don't follow....

They mentioned "obtain a tourist visa" that's not a border bounce.

Tourist visa is obtained in Thai consulate/embassies.

I don't know either why they have mentioned I should get a tourist visa. I assume they thought Turkish citizens are not allowed for visa exemption which is incorrect. So they have suggested I should get a tourist visa not to have any issues while re-entering Thailand. 

I will just do a border hop or fly out and back in. Just trying to find more information as there are too many conflicting messages about borders.

1 minute ago, Mercurialm said:

I will just do a border hop or fly out and back in. Just trying to find more information as there are too many conflicting messages about borders.

That will only give you visa exempt entry. 

What is current status. Meaning how did you enter Thailand and how many days remaining on current permission of stay. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

That will only give you visa exempt entry. 

What is current status. Meaning how did you enter Thailand and how many days remaining on current permission of stay. 

I have Non-O yearly extension that's still valid about 20 days more. 

I will get the visa exempt entry and convert it to  Non-O. To be clear, they didn't say I have to have tourist visa to convert to Non-O. It was just their own misinterpration due to not knowing Turkish citizens can get 30 days visa exemption. The tourist visa was only mentioned because they thought I could enter Thailand with tourist visa only.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I may ask a question which is sort of on topic.

If you come into LOS on a visa exempt, put 400k in the bank for the day to get a 90 day Non-O at immigration, when that expires, one can do the same again, do a border hop, 400k in the bank for the day, go to immigration for Non-O 90 day.....?...🤗

7 minutes ago, transam said:

If I may ask a question which is sort of on topic.

If you come into LOS on a visa exempt, put 400k in the bank for the day to get a 90 day Non-O at immigration, when that expires, one can do the same again, do a border hop, 400k in the bank for the day, go to immigration for Non-O 90 day.....?...🤗

Has been asked in various forms many times. 

Does not have clear answer.

4 hours ago, Mercurialm said:

I don't know either why they have mentioned I should get a tourist visa. I assume they thought Turkish citizens are not allowed for visa exemption which is incorrect. So they have suggested I should get a tourist visa not to have any issues while re-entering Thailand. 

Waft this under their noses.

https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/zE6021nSnu/เอกสาร/VOA.pdf

Image.thumb.jpg.5196eb959644c2de75fc79cf5b271c3d.jpg

3 hours ago, transam said:

If you come into LOS on a visa exempt, put 400k in the bank for the day to get a 90 day Non-O at immigration, when that expires, one can do the same again, do a border hop, 400k in the bank for the day, go to immigration for Non-O 90 day.....?.

Wont work, at least not at my IO.

The idea of obtaining the Non O is a prelude to then applying for the 1 year extension.

You may get away with it once, then Immigration will view it as trying to circumvent the system, in effect, to obtain 90 extensions

If you can put 400K in once for the Non O, why not another 2 months and obtain the 1-year extension.
You can then withdraw the 400K as soon as the extension is granted.

10 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Wont work, at least not at my IO.

The idea of obtaining the Non O is a prelude to then applying for the 1 year extension.

You may get away with it once, then Immigration will view it as trying to circumvent the system, in effect, to obtain 90 extensions

If you can put 400K in once for the Non O, why not another 2 months and obtain the 1-year extension.
You can then withdraw the 400K as soon as the extension is granted.

I know that.........😉

I was just asking a question..😋

But, why would a 90 day non-O visa be a prelude to anything. They don't know my agenda. A visa is a visa.......?  🤔

9 minutes ago, transam said:

I know that.........😉

I was just asking a question..😋

But, why would a 90 day non-O visa be a prelude to anything. They don't know my agenda. A visa is a visa.......?  🤔

If someone (married to Thai) wants to eg stay 5 months per year in Thailand then fine.... Obtain a non O +60 day extension to visit wife= 5 months. Rince and repeat most likely no issue.

To obtain a non O then back to back another non O clearly could cause issue. 

By way of example.....my early days in Thailand I was going to Saigon OFTEN and would obtain triple entry tourist visa to Thailand at Saigon consulate.

At one point the io at the consulate stated.."this your last tourist visa. You older 50 and live Thailand. Get retirement visa" 

15 minutes ago, transam said:

But, why would a 90 day non-O visa be a prelude to anything. They don't know my agenda. A visa is a visa.......?

If you enter VE or TV, then your Immigration status is as a Tourist.
You cannot apply for a 1-year extension unless you have Non Immigrant status.

For those intending to stay long term, but entered as a Tourist, Immigration offer an internal service to change your Immigration status from Tourist to Non Immigrant. (Non O)

It's a service with the expectation, after obtaining the Non O, you would then apply for a 1-year extension of stay.

Your agenda, from your previous posts and now the Non Imm O ME from Savannahket requires 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months, the same requirements as for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage, you're exploring options to circumvent financial requirements. You've mentioned obtaining the SE Non 0 from Savannahket (no financials) + 60 day extensions as an alternative.
Now, you're exploring the option to apply for the Non O through Immigration and save travel and visa costs to Savannahket.

You've stayed here long enough to know the financial requirements, 400K for 2 months, or monthly overseas transfers of 40K per month, and you know changes can happen.
IMO the writing has been on the wall for some time in regard to the Non Imm O ME being available without financials.

As @DrJack54 experience, and nothing new, applying for back to back visas at Immigration or Thai Embassies will be met with eventual refusals.

There is a legitimate pathway to staying permanently with your Thai spouse in Thailand, and that's nothing new.