Simple Pleasures

siamamerican

The grass is greener on the other side... just remember you can have BOTH sides if you want. As I recall you're a decent earner, and keeping a home in both countries shouldn't be a problem for you financially. My folks still keep their stateside home and I still keep my condo and go back once a year.

-Longhorn and Ranger baseball games, gals in Jeeps wearing Umbros/t-shirts/baseball caps, that chirp of the radar/laser detector on your dash to remind you that 100 Baht isn't going to get you out anything, real Internet shopping as mentioned, water skiing, having political conversations that likely won't end in gunplay, 50 different things related to food...

-watching and openly betting on soccer matches in bars/beer gardens, gals professionally bathing you a few times a week, driving 160-170 kph on the motorway (or even in Bangkok at night), being driven around when you don't feel like driving, living in homes that are dusted and wiped down daily, having to actually use and touch cash in banking without the teller inquiring what you do for a living, 50 different things related to food...

IMO it'll keep you (and your family if that applies) in better balance as well.

:o

Ah, a Texan , Cowboy fan myself, as long as their not playing the Bears. :D

Summertime might not be so hard if I could see more than the ESPN baseball game of the week. Then I look around and it's not so bad at all. The problem is that when im in the states, I long to be at my home in Korat. I do not get homesick for the U.S. Unless I see someone eatting a Thai pizza :D

I also do not see anyway I can make the same money I do here. So I go back and forth and pay for a condo that I use a little more than half the year. I guess im conflicted but I can live with "simple pleasures ".

Texas fight, Jeff.

Although, have to admit that I'm a Giants fan. Had a good laugh with my friends back home when the 'boys got Parcells.

edit: oh, and there are worse fates than living on 2 continents. Certainly better than being stuck in one place wishing one hadn't burned one's bridges.

Edited by Heng

Texas fight, Jeff.

Although, have to admit that I'm a Giants fan. Had a good laugh with my friends back home when the 'boys got Parcells.

edit: oh, and there are worse fates than living on 2 continents. Certainly better than being stuck in one place wishing one hadn't burned one's bridges.

Burn bridges? Never crossed my mind.

As a thai, I have found America much more exciting for me at night than thailand.

Just ordered my bathtub faucets, 14 sets of doorknob, and 35 sq ft of glass tile for my new home right after midnight here via internet! Something I can't do in thailand.

Sure you can.. Just expect high shipping and some t money to the customs officals..

Internet still works (sort of) here..

Beyond the "exotic" factor of whatever is new and different to each of us, my feeling about Asia in general is that is the "New World", a place filled with ambition and vitality in a way that the placid West no longer is.

That's what I like about Thailand -- the roughness of it, the endless hustle and ambition, people eager to get ahead, to make something of themselves. Even the bargirls that so many people look down on -- I admire their hunger, their nerve, their ruthlessness, their desire to improve their situation by whatever means they can.

I think of Europe as a old man -- comfortable in what he has achieved, savoring the memory of past victories, wanting to hold on to the gains of the past, and of North America as someone middle aged -- set in her ways, comfortable, having a good idea of what her future will hold.

Whereas Asia to me is like a tumultuous teenager -- full of promise and hope, with the future yet to be decided -- it could all turn out amazing, it could still all go horribly wrong.

Superb post and one I highly agree with.. My first trip to asia was to Indonesia (Bali) and I knew from that very first taste I would live in SE asia. The vivid colors and sounds, etc.. I remember getting back to Holland on a grey winter morning after a vacation to Indo and my brother looking at me, as we both looked out on this very drab day and he said "its like a TV with all the color turned down" no truer words spoken.

I also remember on one of my first Thai tours.. Being in BKK out on the neon lit streets at 4 or 5 am.. big rainstorms flooding the streets.. Sat under an umbrella eating noodle soup talking to a pair of over made up ladies of negotiable affection, while a Katoey made aggressive advances at anyone stumbling by, the owner of the stall holding court and shouting in a language I couldnt make out, and thought how like blade runner the whole scene looked through my new and slightly out of it eyes. That romance of the new, that flood of sensory overload. I was hooked.

I also like the chaos and insanity.. I like that inane barmyness you get when dealing with Thai girlfriends.. That lack of structure and routine that life has here.. I had spent a fair bit of time in Arab African 3rd world and this is like a swiss clock compared to there.

My own personal simple pleasures ?? I never get tired of that feeling of cool night air as I pop out in shorts and a T shirt on my scooter in the small hours.. Just popping for some soup or other simple thing.

I hope to never live outside the tropics again.. and an old Ozzie said to me one day "If palm trees dont grow.. I dont go" !! Superb !!

As a thai, I have found America much more exciting for me at night than thailand.

Just ordered my bathtub faucets, 14 sets of doorknob, and 35 sq ft of glass tile for my new home right after midnight here via internet! Something I can't do in thailand.

Sure you can.. Just expect high shipping and some t money to the customs officals..

That’s why I love doing it here in the states,…noo t-money and noo sale taxes! …and super lightening fast shipping too!

Due to my nature of work, I don’t really have a lot of time during the day for any face-to-face shopping and w/o having to run all over town, the internet shopping here in the states is one of the truly amazing inventions since sliced bread and somtum. I just absolutely love it and sofar brought just about everything via the internet, including a kitchen sink!

Edited by teacup

Texas fight, Jeff.

I was talking about people in general, SA. Did you feel I was talking about you?

:D

I'd be more than ready to throw cash at the problem if that was indeed the only problem. The bigger problem is that there are plenty of online retailers who won't ship to a lot of places in the world and there's an even longer list who will only ship to the US. A good portion of my goods purchased online have to be shipped to my place in the US and then reshipped or brought over myself.

Texas fight, Jeff.

I was talking about people in general, SA. Did you feel I was talking about you?

That is what I thought. My lengthy travels has made it difficult professionally, but the last few years I've made some great contacts. I've finally put together a decent professional network and plan on maintaining it. Burning bridges never made sense to me. No upside and plain stupid.

Texas fight, Jeff.

That is what I thought. My lengthy travels has made it difficult professionally, but the last few years I've made some great contacts. I've finally put together a decent professional network and plan on maintaining it. Burning bridges never made sense to me. No upside and plain stupid.