Queue Jumpers

vegas

An extremely irritating 'lady' tried to jump the queue at the check out at Villa soi 11 today. Each time the first person in the queue paid for their groceries this individual would try to jump in and order a can of pepsi. But, each time the Thai check out girl would completely ignore her (bless her heart) and serve the next person who had joined the line. Eventually the girl lost her patience and warbled 'but I was here first' (which she clearly was not), while wobbling her head from side to side. Again she was ignored but miss wobble refused to join the queue and was still trying to push in as I paid for my groceries and left the store.

Having had numerous <deleted> try to jump the queue in cinemas, fast food places, ATMs etc. it was a real treat to see a Thai girl with the backbone to ignore this rude idiot and make an example of her. Hopefully she's probably still there, trying to buy her can of pepsi.

WHATS WORSE THIS STORY OR THE TIME WASTED READING IT. SHE ONLY JUMPED THE QUEUE IF SHE WAS SERVED OUT OF TURN, THIS WAS NOT THE CASE.

IF THIS IS YOUR ONLY COMPLAINT ABOUT LIFE THEN YOURS IS TRULY BLESSED.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a four-person line (queue? what's that?) at KFC yesterday. A young man of about 25 walked into the restaurant and right up to the front of the counter ignoring all of us. Just having come from a long 300 km. trip from another city by crowded, stifling, bus, I didn't have the energy to fight this one.

A middle-aged Thai lady in back of me began loudly in English and Thai, pointing at the offender: "THIS is an example of Thailand's worst manners. I am sorry for the way this ill-mannered man ignores good behavior. It's an embarrassment to us all.... etc. etc."

Soon 20 pairs of eyes were on the Cretin, as he crawled away (after getting his order, of course), like a whipped puppy. Staff shouldn't have served him, of course. However, the Thai lady's confrontation was a FIRST for me to see in Thailand.

Kudos to good manners everywhere!

Edited by toptuan

Unfortunately at Mo-chit and in Isaan (for us lowlifes who normally take the bus) there are few queues at the platform or bus stops at the "magic moment" of embarkation. My first experience, I politely waited in what looked like a "preliminary line" for 45 minutes prior to the bus showing up. I was about the third person. However, the minute the bus pulled up, it was a sudden mass movement of cattle into the gates. Trying to maintain my dignity, I didn't push and shove my way to the front like the others. The bus filled up, and I missed it.

The next bus came, same scenario. I missed it, too.

Two hours later when the THIRD bus came (I know, I'm a slow learner), I decided "to H.E.L.L. with Western manners if I am ever to catch a <deleted>' bus in this country." I turned into a bull with horns (the horns were my suitcase and umbrella which I used as a battering ram in front of me). I fought, kicked, climbed, and shoved like the rest of the beasts and finally made it past the "gate." Despite my animal-behavior, the seats filled up before me and I had to stand in the aisle for the 7-hour trip anyway. (I should've trampled that pregnant lady, and stepped on the neck of that 6 year-old brat in front of me!)

There ARE sometimes when you have to jettison good manners just to survive. Makes me feel like dirt, but don't have any other option, it seems. (Possible option: Buy a car--and enjoy the "me-first" driving manners of the other cattle in LOS?) :o

Edited by toptuan

this ignoring tactic is very common with the shop girls on soi 11 especially at the 7-11 where there seems to be a large and impatient arab contingent. the girls will just ignore them until they decide its their turn.

Edited by t.s

whilst not queue jumping the one that pisses me right of are the one's that insist on barging into an elevator before anyone that is disembarking gets a chance to exit ....

i have no hesitation in shoulder barging the rude bastards out of the way, i dont care they are thai or farang, wait until people have exited before you hop in ....

• 1 month later...

My contributing tale is this:

A few years back I was waiting in line at a small shop in Pantip Plaza, and just as it was my turn, some Thai bozo jumped the queue. I protested to the girl behind the counter, to no avail. She looked at me but chose to help him instead; therefore, I hip-checked the jumper, looked the counter girl square in the eyes, held up two fingers and said in Thai, "Aw soong hard drives. Soong-muun-sii-phan baht. Bye-Bye." For those who don't speak Thai yet: *Want two HDDs. 24,000 baht.* Yes, they were sizable external HHDs. The look of bewilderment on her face was priceless...er...um...no, actually it was worth 24,000 baht. :D

Queue jumping any line I'm on or rudely trying to shove past me when I'm out and about will earn the offender an immediate and measured physical rebuke. Jing-Jing. :o

As a guest here in Thailand I go out of my way to be polite and respectful, BUT, I do NOT tolerate queue jumpers whatsoever … Fight's On! :D

If you think its bad here then try: Cambodia, Hong Kong then China, in that order it will allow you to get ready for the Chinese ……………….No manners whatsoever.

What I do and have for many years is; if someone does push in and gets served I say in Thai “that my money is no good here, as you don’t want it so goodbye”…and never go back to that store, gas station, bank branch or whatever

Pattaya is by and far the worst place I’ve been for absolutely no respect for others (In Thailand) followed very closely by Patong

:o

Education is the key

Have to disagree with you about China, i have worked there many a time and they are far more aware of others around them than the Thai with regards to manners.

Sorry, I have to disagree here - the Chinese are generally appalling - i have worked in China for four years and - as a general rule - I have yet to meet a more uncivil nation of people . Individually they can be fine and wonderful people but any more than two and they become an unruly mob. Queues do not exist in china. try it at the airport - start your "queue of one" about a meter from the check in desk, next minute the space in front of you is filled with 20 chinese. try the alternative approach and stand against the counter and you are guaranteed to get an arm or multiple arms over your shoulder slapping down their tickets and documents with the clearly implied request that they get treated first - and god help you if it is some minor party official - who will make their presence known and barge through everyone....

this thread is amusing -- I read of all the farang trying to impose their standards on a different society - and complaining becasue it doesn't comply. Thailand behaves as thailand behaves - that's it. it is not obliged to conform with your wishes, your norms, or your idiosyncracies... wake up, you are in a foreign land...

Now of course, thailand has good mannered and considerate people and some bad mannered ones too - but do not use your own western standards to judge what is right and wrong

just my two baht worth

If you think its bad here then try: Cambodia, Hong Kong then China, in that order it will allow you to get ready for the Chinese ……………….No manners whatsoever.

What I do and have for many years is; if someone does push in and gets served I say in Thai “that my money is no good here, as you don’t want it so goodbye”…and never go back to that store, gas station, bank branch or whatever

Pattaya is by and far the worst place I’ve been for absolutely no respect for others (In Thailand) followed very closely by Patong

:o

Education is the key

Have to disagree with you about China, i have worked there many a time and they are far more aware of others around them than the Thai with regards to manners.

Sorry, I have to disagree here - the Chinese are generally appalling - i have worked in China for four years and - as a general rule - I have yet to meet a more uncivil nation of people . Individually they can be fine and wonderful people but any more than two and they become an unruly mob. Queues do not exist in china. try it at the airport - start your "queue of one" about a meter from the check in desk, next minute the space in front of you is filled with 20 chinese. try the alternative approach and stand against the counter and you are guaranteed to get an arm or multiple arms over your shoulder slapping down their tickets and documents with the clearly implied request that they get treated first - and god help you if it is some minor party official - who will make their presence known and barge through everyone....

this thread is amusing -- I read of all the farang trying to impose their standards on a different society - and complaining becasue it doesn't comply. Thailand behaves as thailand behaves - that's it. it is not obliged to conform with your wishes, your norms, or your idiosyncracies... wake up, you are in a foreign land...

Now of course, thailand has good mannered and considerate people and some bad mannered ones too - but do not use your own western standards to judge what is right and wrong

just my two baht worth

in thailand ignorance is bliss.........

I was in a sandwhich queue in an expensive mall and some hi-so hag swanned past the queue with all of her purchases. I decided to act in a way that would damage her face as much as possible whilst staying true to my manners and view of 'fair'. I stepped out of the queue and tapped her arm and politely said "there is a queue, thats why people are queueing. you must go to the back" she looked at me like filth and swanned off.

The moral is, queue jumpers jump queues because they expect nobody to say something. So say something.

That is exactly the way i have dealt with it on a number of occasions. :o