Venomous Jellyfish Warning Issued for Phuket’s Racha Yai Island

webfact

image.jpeg

An urgent warning has been issued concerning the presence of highly venomous Portuguese Man o’ War jellyfish in the waters surrounding Lah Bay and Tue Bay at Racha Yai Island, Phuket. Authorities advise tourists and marine enthusiasts to exercise extreme caution to avoid contact with these dangerous creatures.

The alert, issued by the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources under the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, highlights the peril posed by Portuguese Man o’ War. Commonly misidentified as jellyfish, these creatures are known for their potent venom.

Contact with their tentacles can cause severe pain, skin irritation, and in extreme cases, can affect the nervous and cardiovascular systems, potentially leading to death.

Easily recognisable by its distinctive bottle-shaped float, the Portuguese Man o’ War must be avoided at all costs. Prompt first-aid response is crucial if stung. Tentacles should be removed using a hard object, never bare hands.

Rubbing the affected area or applying ointment is strongly discouraged. Instead, vinegar should be poured continuously over the sting for at least 30 seconds to neutralise toxins. Freshwater should not be used as it can exacerbate the spread of venom. Immediate medical attention is essential.

Phuket's beaches, known for their beauty and vibrant marine life, are a major draw for tourists. However, visitors are urged to take this warning seriously.

One tourist, who encountered the Portuguese Man o’ War last year, shared, "I felt an intense burning sensation immediately after contact. It was unlike anything I had ever felt before, and I was fortunate to receive prompt medical treatment."

The Marine Department is monitoring the situation closely and has increased efforts to inform the public. Signs have been posted in affected areas, and local businesses are assisting in spreading the word.

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment advises that these creatures, typically found in open oceans, can be brought closer to shore by strong winds and currents, particularly during certain seasons. Staying informed about local marine conditions is essential for safety.

This situation highlights the importance of vigilance to ensure the well-being of both locals and visitors to Phuket’s picturesque shores.

Picture courtesy: Naewna

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-26

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I was stung on the thigh in the sea by something I couldn't see in Hua Hin one June. I was in waist deep water and it felt like a powerful electric shock which made my leg buckle and I collapsed in the sea. It left a nasty red wield about 5 inches across. A doctor gave me some kind of cream to put on it and said the pain and the swelling would be gone in 24 hours but it throbbed painfully for 2-3 days.  After that it turned septic and suppurated pus intermittently for 3 months and has left a permanent scar.  I have heard of people get similar stings on the face in Hua Hin, resulting unsightly scarring.  One guy told me his daughter got one on her stomach and the scar was so bad she never wore a bikini after that. 

But better keep quiet about this in case it affects the tourist dollars. 

Many Jelly fish , other forms of aquatic life that can be a danger , rip tides , whirl pools , pollution are the main reasons I choose not to swim in Thailand .