Coordinating/optimising passport and visa expiries

As a retiree, I recently got my stay extended by another year. Checking my passport's validity, I see that it expires in 4/26. Can I expect to get another 1-year extension in 6/25, or would I have to get a new passport before that?
More precisely, is there a minimum validity period required when applying for extension, and which is it?

Edited by Tercera_Edad

Thanks a lot, that sure does help a bit. I think I will ponder the options before rushing to any conclusions.
There is one thing, however, that might deserve mentioning now already, and that would be the transfer procedure of the existing visa to a new passport (if it so plays out). I found
https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/transferring.html
which appears exhaustive, but upon closer inspection still leaves some doubt (transferrable stamp, being my case):

1. They mention a One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit (OSS), but would fx Pattaya immigration also be authorised for this business?
2. They also enumerate three documents that I do not expect to obtain, or do not in necessary detail know what they mean:
- Certificate from embassy (Original one only)
- Notification letter of qualification endorsement which is addressed to the Immigration Bureau
- 1-Year notification card

Next to this top-rated private website, there's also seemingly official info available at
https://www.thailand.go.th/issue-focus-detail/002_005
But it does not appear free from doubt either.

I'm puzzled. Any ideas how to sort this conundrum?

• Confused 1

@Tercera_Edad umm, if you got a new year extension you DON'T have an LTR (Long Term Resident) visa so none of that info on the LTR/BOI Website has any relevance to you and your current situation

Just so you know, you can't get a yearly extension at the One Stop Service Center based on retirement and that means you can't move the stamps there either.

As Dr Jack clearly stated you renew your passport BEFORE you get next years extension OR you're only going to get one for the duration of the passport (meaning you lose those months) 🙂 

When you get the new passport you go to the office that issued the extension and get the stamps moved 

Now what you could do is time the passport renewal so that once you get the new passport it's also time to go apply for the new yearly extension. They'd move the stamps to the new passport and give you another year extension all at the same time.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Tercera_Edad said:

As a retiree, I recently got my stay extended by another year. Checking my passport's validity, I see that it expires in 4/26. Can I expect to get another 1-year extension in 6/25, or would I have to get a new passport before that?
More precisely, is there a minimum validity period required when applying for extension, and which is it?

Your passport expires April 2026.

Your extension renewal date is June 2025.

In that case, you would only be given an extension for 10 months until Passport expiry date April 2026.

Your choices are, therefore;

For 1.900 baht, you lose 2 months period of stay.

For the cost of a new passport (£100+), you lose 10 months passport validity.

Personally, I'd take the 10-month extension, then renew my passport in January 2026.
Renewing your passport does not affect any period of stay already granted.

On obtaining a new passport, take both passports to Immigration and have the stamps transferred, ready for your April 2026 extension renewal.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for sorting the terms for me, Tod Daniels. Looks like I got confused there. Regarding the optimum timing, I sensed instinctively this might be the course to follow, although I wasn't sure if I could get a ten-month extension - which I now gather is possible. Thanks for clarifying that, and also to Liquorice for further elaborating on the details!

Get a NEW passport. My passport was due to expire 4 days BEFORE my normal extension expired ( I lost 4 days on the extension ) I sent my passport paperwork 6 weeks before PP expired, I did NOT receive my 10 year in time and ended using a EMERGENCY PP for extension renewal. 4 days after renewal my 10 year came in.  Other than 2 trips within 1 week and several hours wasted at immigration, the extension stamps transfer to NEW PP  was no problem.

I suggest you get your NEW PP NOW ( ASAP), have your extension stamps transfered to NEW PP when received.

BE AWARE...Depending on the IO, some are cross checking: 90 day report, TM-30, Extension of Stay against ADDRESS and PASSPORT NUMBERS..

18 hours ago, Tercera_Edad said:

Thanks a lot, that sure does help a bit. I think I will ponder the options before rushing to any conclusions.
There is one thing, however, that might deserve mentioning now already, and that would be the transfer procedure of the existing visa to a new passport (if it so plays out). I found
https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/transferring.html
which appears exhaustive, but upon closer inspection still leaves some doubt (transferrable stamp, being my case):

1. They mention a One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit (OSS), but would fx Pattaya immigration also be authorised for this business?
2. They also enumerate three documents that I do not expect to obtain, or do not in necessary detail know what they mean:
- Certificate from embassy (Original one only)
- Notification letter of qualification endorsement which is addressed to the Immigration Bureau
- 1-Year notification card

Next to this top-rated private website, there's also seemingly official info available at
https://www.thailand.go.th/issue-focus-detail/002_005
But it does not appear free from doubt either.

I'm puzzled. Any ideas how to sort this conundrum?

BOI ltr 

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Hardly requires asap.

He is best advised to obtain new pp prior to 6/25.

My recent pp renewal process (AU) took 20 days using mail option in Thailand.

Personally, if you plan to obtain the LTR, re-new your passport early next year - apply for the LTR through the BOI (or it authorized immigration office) and then you would have a new passport with a 10-year visa ...what is the validity of your passport anyway? if 10 years then you would be covered the entire time.  If 5 years only, then you have plenty of time to work with the BOI on transfer to new pp BTW the LTR is revalidated at the 5-year period so either way you would be covered. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP did not even mention LTR.

There is dedicated thread regards that.

Your post is off topic. 

In his further explanation of his new pp or not and extensions, he specifically did mention the BOI LTR, so my post was not off topic that Tecera-edad mentioned.  Have a good one.

7 minutes ago, Presnock said:

In his further explanation of his new pp or not and extensions, he specifically did mention the BOI LTR, so my post was not off topic that Tecera-edad mentioned.  Have a good one.

The OP has a 1 year extension of stay, not an LTR visa, and was reading the wrong information from the BOI site.

@Tod Daniels corrected him.

It pays to read replies to the OP, or you go off-topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Whatever. The OP referenced LTR by way of error.

Clearly was confused and corrected by Tod Daniels. 

• Thumbs Up 1