Thai Embassy in Hanoi

So I added a new employer on my work permit and then cancelled the old employer. I went to apply for a non B at the embassy in Hanoi. Their website said something about three working days however after three days they said that my work permit expired since they did not bother to look at the amendments on page 8. When I submiited additional paperwork they said maybe next week Monday. Has anyone ever done a non B at Hanoi and how was the experience?

Edited by Jaythekol

Just curious did you make a copy of that page in your work permit booklet that showed the other company was listed in it?

Since the countries re-opened after covid the thai consulates in Vietnam (Hanoi and HCMC) went way WAY down as far as their turn around speed to get passports/visas back.

Sadly yes, that is something I have heard all too often from people using that consulate. Unfortunately you have NO leverage at all with them.

I had someone say it took TEN business days for their approval on a Non-B

All you can do is show up tomorrow and check on it.

11 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Just curious did you make a copy of that page in your work permit booklet that showed the other company was listed in it?

Since the countries re-opened after covid the thai consulates in Vietnam (Hanoi and HCMC) went way WAY down as far as their turn around speed to get passports/visas back.

Sadly yes, that is something I have heard all too often from people using that consulate. Unfortunately you have NO leverage at all with them.

I had someone say it took TEN business days for their approval on a Non-B

All you can do is show up tomorrow and check on it.

We did not make copies they actually took the real work permit. Its seems the people at the Embassy at least the front clerks do not read Thai 

Edited by Jaythekol

The bureaucratic madness continues. Running a restaurant in Vientiane/Laos by a non-Thai/non-Laotian, it requires shopping across the Mekong in Nong Khai and Udon Thani. Now, overland crossings are limited to two per calendar year so the goons at the interior ministry invented a multi-reentry visa for such people. It requires a bank guarantee of 200,000 Baht, is valid for six months and costs 5,000 Baht - direct payment to the consulate without any "helper's fees". 

Appointments to wheel in the paperwork (plenty of that, i.e. copies of passport, bank statement of a Lao bank, Lao work permit etc. etc.) must be done online. The earliest appointment - given on 24 June 2024 is end of August, i.e. two months from now. The fun continues as I drive with a Thai plated vehicle (fully paid, insured etc.) and had to do a temporary export declaration (nobody knows why that paper exists as the car and all taxes on the Thai side are paid). The temporary export permit allows the vehicle to be out of Thailand for not more than 30 days, after which a fine of 1,000 Baht/daily; max. 10,000 Baht will apply on re-importation of car. 

How can you stay within the legal limitations by the Thai customs of a month if the Thai consulate takes 2+ months for an appointment, after which it takes another few days for the holy sticker? 

They really should clean up their bureaucratic mess with a very very big broom, vacuum cleaner or huge leaf blower. 

So much to 21st century in the land of the semi-divine 😞 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1