Driving Licence

Hi folks,

Can anyone help please. I am hoping to move over to Thailand soon (Khorat) I take it i can not drive on my English licence.

Question is, which licence required + how to obtain. Thanks.

Best regards.

jb1

There is a section on the forum that explains all about it.

But, to quickly help.

An International driving license is in the rules. You might as well get one before coming as it may help. A Thai driving license is what you really want. Will you have a work visa?

If so, you just go to one of the Thai test centres (don't forget your documentation) and do a few tests; co-ordination tests, sight tests, listen to a lecture (you might not have to if you are lucky), a written test in English (you might not have to if you are lucky) and a driving test (you might not have to if you are lucky).

Either you are lucky and get the quick once over, pay 105 baht then get your Thai driving license. It takes two hours.

Or, you are unlucky and you have to do the full test (same cost) which takes most of the day.

I think that other long term visa types allow you to apply too, but I didn't look into it as I had a work visa.

You don't need any Thai language skills to do the test, and the centres are helpful to us foreigners.

I'm sure it's detailed on this forum if you have a good look. Try the search function.

Edited by jasreeve17

Get an IDP from the AA or RAC.

With it you can obtain a Thai licence without doing any form of test other than a reaction, peripheral vision and colour blindness check, easy :o

Several collegues have also reported that the LTO at Mor Chit is actually issuing Thai licences to holders of UK and US licences WITHOUT needing the IDP :D

Several collegues have also reported that the LTO at Mor Chit is actually issuing Thai licences to holders of UK and US licences WITHOUT needing the IDP :o

They issued me one on a Victorian DL from Australia at On Nut no problems

Me too, on a standard British licence at PhraKanong (about Suk 93 ish.)

Official British licence (paper without photograph) was sufficient for me to obtain a Thai licence from the Surin licence office without a test (other documents were required).

I recently got a Thai car driving lisc & motorcycle lisc. If you have a vaild lisc from your home country, you normally only have to take the vision & reflexes test. In my case, the written test was in English via a computer screen machine. They had an English version DVD to watch before the test. Be sure to check the test review machines outside the testing room. They were the most usefull in helping to pass the test. The DVD is very lengthy & detailed. Retirement or other long-term visa is necessary. No tourist visas.

I recently got a Thai car driving lisc & motorcycle lisc. If you have a vaild lisc from your home country, you normally only have to take the vision & reflexes test. In my case, the written test was in English via a computer screen machine. They had an English version DVD to watch before the test. Be sure to check the test review machines outside the testing room. They were the most usefull in helping to pass the test. The DVD is very lengthy & detailed. Retirement or other long-term visa is necessary. No tourist visas.

The official line is that in order to avoid the tests you must have an IDP. It does seem however that an increasing number of centres are issuing Thai licences against certain foreign licences without the IDP. Thus far looks like UK, US and Oz are on the list :D

To add to the confusion, Pathum Thani asked for my IDP when renewing to get my 5 year licence :o Luckily my assorted docs folder had a copy of it (long expired) which shut them up.

Hi folks,

Can anyone help please. I am hoping to move over to Thailand soon (Khorat) I take it i can not drive on my English licence.

Question is, which licence required + how to obtain. Thanks.

Best regards.

jb1

I got mine in Korat 4 years ago and needed the following and was only required to eye test. My Thai wife also obtained Thai license following same procedure using her US drivers license also.

US drivers license (doesn't hurt to have IDL also but not needed in my case)

Couple photo's

Application filled out

Letter from Amphor to verify address or letter from your embassy okay

Medical exam letter (walk in any doctors office and tell them you need letter for drivers license)

Several collegues have also reported that the LTO at Mor Chit is actually issuing Thai licences to holders of UK and US licences WITHOUT needing the IDP :o

They issued me one on a Victorian DL from Australia at On Nut no problems

bazmlb did you need all the paper work or did you just go in with you Vic. Lic

I have a WA lic MD for heavy truck as well as car but just want a car thai lic.

If you can let me know what you took with Thanks Freoballdogs