Are bride prices a thing in Thailand or am I getting taken for a ride?

The missus keeps dropping hints when we get married one day about a bridal prices. She calls it sin sod which apparently means "lucky sod" fee a husband pays the in law family. Is this really a thing? I have asked google but the answers are even more confusing. Also, is there some kind of warranty or money back guarantee with bride prices if she says she can cook but really can't or can I get insurance for it?

Would appreciate any advice, and preferably not from the tourists in Thailand who only come for sex but from blokes in proper relationships with experience. 

Thanks

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sin Sod is a non refundable gift to the parents, the more. the greater the face, Don't be shy, Bob, lash out and show the village what a worthy husband you'll be! Gold and cash is the norm!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

The missus keeps dropping hints when we get married one day about a bridal prices. She calls it sin sod which apparently means "lucky sod" fee a husband pays the in law family. Is this really a thing? I have asked google but the answers are even more confusing. Also, is there some kind of warranty or money back guarantee with bride prices if she says she can cook but really can't or can I get insurance for it?

Would appreciate any advice, and preferably not from the tourists in Thailand who only come for sex but from blokes in proper relationships with experience. 

Thanks

Post deleted by user.

Edited by Raindancer
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Sin Sod is a non refundable gift to the parents, the more. the greater the face, Don't be shy, Bob, lash out and show the village what a worthy husband you'll be! Gold and cash is the norm!

Yeah cash for me is not the issue, I just wasn't sure if the lucky sod fee was a myth or no longer exists or whether it's a legitimate transaction 

1 minute ago, Raindancer said:

You seem to have doubts about some of her abilities. Not a great start to consider marriage.

Depends how long you have known her.

Take your time and do your research.   If you have to talk yourself into it, it's not a good sign.

Great advice friend, a really classy post. A shame there aren't more posters like you around here talking sensibly and with maturity 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1