Ricotta Cheese

Jingthing

I have not seen this at any grocery in Thailand, even the gourmet ones that carry lots of much more exotic cheeses.

This is commonly available in the US and I would imagine Italy. Its a standard lasagna ingredient but it works with any pasta to really cream it up. Whats up with the ricotta?

post-37101-1185813879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

I have not seen this at any grocery in Thailand, even the gourmet ones that carry lots of much more exotic cheeses.

This is commonly available in the US and I would imagine Italy. Its a standard lasagna ingredient but it works with any pasta to really cream it up. Whats up with the ricotta?

If you can't find it, it is very easy to make with little time and effort. Let me know if you want instructions. It is ready in less than a day, start to finish.

I have noticed at common Italian restaurants here they use mozzerella cheese in lasagna. Is that a British thing or just because they don't have ricotta? To me, it isn't lasagna without ricotta. Ricotta is obviously more perishable than hard cheeses so maybe thats why it isn't imported, but why not a local source for such a basic ingredient?

Edited by Jingthing

I have noticed at common Italian restaurants here they use mozzerella cheese in lasagna. Is that a British thing or just because they don't have ricotta? To me, it isn't lasagna without ricotta. Ricotta is obviously more perishable than hard cheeses so maybe thats why it isn't imported, but why not a local source for such a basic ingredient?

Why not use both, I always use mozzarella and ricotta when I make my special lasagna!

I'm also interested in your secret recipe...just post it! :o

Since there seems to be some interest, here is the one I use (cut and paste from http://www.fiascofarm.com/dairy/ricotta.html ). I found this recipe and several others through links from this site http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/makericottacheese.htm .

Whole Milk Ricotta Recipe

While it isn't "traditional" it is nice to be able to make ricotta out of plain 'ol milk you can buy at the store. This is the first cheese I ever made. I started making it quite a bit after I realized that making my own Ricotta with store bought milk was cheaper (and more fun) than buying Ricotta at the store. This "Ricotta" will be drier and not as smooth and creamy as the traditional "real" Ricotta. It tastes great and can be used as a ricotta substitute is most receipts.

In a heavy pot, over direct heat, heat 2 quarts of whole milk to 200° (sometime I accidentally heat it to boiling). Add 3 Tablespoons of white vinegar or 1/4 Cup of fresh, strained lemon juice. Make sure to bring the temperature back up to 200*. You will see very tiny white particles (the albumin protein) floating in the whey. The heat and acid from the ripe whey has precipitated the protein.

Remove the pot from the heat and set it, covered, to rest undisturbed for about 15 minutes.

Line a colander with very fine cheesecloth, called "butter muslin". You must use a very fine cloth here, or your cheese will pass through the regular cloth. If you do not have fine cheesecloth, use a clean cotton cloth (like a pillow case). Place the colander over a big pot so you can save the whey and carefully pour the whey into the colander. Be very careful because the liquid is hot. Tie the ends of the cheesecloth together and hang the ricotta to drain for an hour or so (the longer you hand it, the "drier" your finished cheese will be.

When it has drained, place the ricotta in a bowl, break up, stir and add salt to taste (1/4 tsp.- 1/2 tsp.). This Ricotta will keep for about a week in the fridge.

Traditional Ricotta Recipe, using only Whey

Making Ricotta is very simple. Over direct heat, heat the hard cheese whey to 200° (sometimes I accidentally heat it over 200° with no ill effects). By the time it has reached this temperature you will see very tiny white particles (the albumin protein) floating in the whey. The heat and acid from the ripe whey has precipitated the protein. You can add a little vinegar at this point if you really think it necessary (one "glug" or 1/4 C. per 2 gallons of whey), it's up to you, and it won't hurt the Ricotta.

Line a colander with very fine cheesecloth, called "butter muslin". You must use a very fine cloth here, or your cheese will pass through the regular cloth. If you do not have fine cheesecloth, use a clean cotton cloth (like a pillow case). Place the colander over a big pot so you can save the whey and carefully pour the whey into the colander. Be very careful because the liquid is hot. Tie the ends of the cheesecloth together and hang the ricotta to drain for a couple hours.

When it has drained, place the ricotta in a bowl and add salt to taste. You will find that the Ricotta made from the whey of different cheeses has different tastes and textures. I think Mozzarella makes the best. Feta makes the strongest tasting (the taste increases as it ages in the fridge). Ricotta will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

Assume the 200 degrees is fahrenheit. Therefore 93 degrees C. So bubbling, but not frothing up the sides of the pot.

A 'cup' in American cookery is what in the rest of the world? About 10cc or 50cc or what?

Just looked it up - a quarter of a litre.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Pongpat, what a funny coincidence!

I just found it today at the Foodland. I never noticed it before and I have been looking. It is Thai made and about 150 baht.

Sometimes items come and go. For example, a few months ago I found some rather good imported taramasalata at Carrefour, bought it, and never saw it there again.

I'm also interested in your secret recipe...just post it! :o

Since there seems to be some interest, here is the one I use (cut and paste from http://www.fiascofarm.com/dairy/ricotta.html ). I found this recipe and several others through links from this site http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/makericottacheese.htm .

very interesting indeed!

It is apparently the same that happens when the milk turns sour...I noticed this a couple of years ago with a 5 l bottle of milk that got spoiled. I kept it in the fridge for a while and noticed that there were white flakes separating from a clear liquid. I poured it through a cheese cloth et viola!

I repeated this a couple of times since and it always worked!

Villa Market has buckets of Ricotta. Considering many of the items you look for in Thailand, you should move next store to a Villa

If you are referring to my previous requests for GRAPE NUTS CEREAL, I still have never found even one box of the stuff anywhere in Thailand, including the Villa Markets in Bangkok. Still looking ... Please help ...

BTW, I am really enjoying my store bought ricotta. I appreciate the recipe, but you lost me at cheesecloth. Over my comfort level.

Edited by Jingthing