Pickup crashes through Merit-Making Event: 1 Dead, 4 Injured

webfact

nakornphanom-a-1.webp

In a harrowing accident late last night in Nakhon Phanom province, a high-speed pickup truck crashed into a merit-making event, resulting in one fatality and four serious injuries. The local community has been left in shock, mourning the tragic disruption of a traditional gathering meant to honor the deceased.

The calamity occurred around 11:40 PM when an Isuzu pickup, speeding dangerously, veered off the road in the village of Kam That during the religious event. Eyewitness accounts and police reports indicate the driver lost control before plowing into a crowd of participants, who were distributing food as part of the ceremonial proceedings.

The immediate aftermath was intense and chaotic. Emergency response teams from nearby districts rapidly converged on the site, providing critical aid. The ill-fated victim, identified as 56-year-old Sithon Phalee, was found deceased at the scene alongside three damaged motorcycles, a testament to the severity of the crash.

In addition to the tragic death, four individuals – two villagers and two members of the local security team – suffered serious injuries and were transported to Nakhon Phanom Hospital for urgent care. The driver, severely injured and trapped within the wreckage of his vehicle, was also extracted and hospitalized, raising questions about the circumstances leading up to the crash.

Local authorities spearheaded by Police Lieutenant Satchanan Bangsai have launched a comprehensive investigation to decipher the cause of the accident, particularly probing into the possibility of impaired driving and mechanical failure. This devastating event has prompted discussions about enhancing safety measures at local events to prevent such heartrending incidents in the future.

The community’s response was a mixture of sorrow and fury, with some attendees having to be restrained from confronting the driver amidst their grief and shock. This tragic disruption of a peaceful cultural event highlights the need for stringent safety protocols and responsible driving to safeguard communal gatherings. The investigation remains ongoing, with further updates anticipated as officials delve deeper into this catastrophic occurrence.

Picture courtesy: Khaoded

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-12

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Eyewitness accounts and police reports indicate the driver lost control before plowing into a crowd of participants

But I'm sure he had full control of his mobile phone if he wasn't drunk.

Enhancing safety measures ? if only they knew how ... this  accident is due to brake failure ,it always is...Monkeys  could do a better job behind the wheel

Edited by actonion
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, mancub said:

Why do so many "Merit Making" events end in tragedy ? 

They don't...     I suspect there is no more 'incidence' of 'tragedy' compared to regular journeys. 

... Its just the ironic-nature of the event... i.e that people undergoing merit making are still struck down by fate... 

To be honest, I wonder why I still read posts like this, it's in and sad and you can name many causes but nothing has changed in the 25-plus years I have been staying here.
As sad as it is, it has no news value, is it then a certain form of sensation that this is posted every time?
Actually, meaningless.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver, severely injured and trapped within the wreckage of his vehicle, was also extracted and hospitalized,

Should have allowed the driver to slowly pass away... 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Local authorities spearheaded by Police Lieutenant Satchanan Bangsai have launched a comprehensive investigation to decipher the cause of the accident, particularly probing into the possibility of impaired driving and mechanical failure. T

They should also investigate why the merit making event backfired. Did they not give enough merit hence becoming the victims? Is this merit making actually doing anything but taking lives and money and food? 

Sorry, although I feel bad for the dead and injured. It never ceases to amaze me how Buddhism scams the people with promises that can not be delivered. Then using the peoples gifts to do bad things. I do think real Buddhism is a good thing. But not this Thai way that turned it into a farce. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Did they blur the insignia on the pickup door, or is that just faded?

That looks like PEA colour and insignia to me. 

01-1536x1152.jpg.1494541917264fd0921aeeb7acee5fc4.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

To be honest, I wonder why I still read posts like this, it's in and sad and you can name many causes but nothing has changed in the 25-plus years I have been staying here.
As sad as it is, it has no news value, is it then a certain form of sensation that this is posted every time?
Actually, meaningless.

Sadly you are a 100% correct.