Taco Loco On Silom...

Taco Loco has been mentioned here before, good food, great price and the two owners are nice guys.............I love the double decker taco, flour tortilla spread with refried beans which is then wrapped around a hard corn tortilla and filled with beef, pork or chicken and lettuce and tomatos.

Lots of different salsa's, best is the homemade hot stuff

stumbled on this by accident today near subway sandwich shop...

it was set up like a fast food joint, like a taco bell back home, but the food was more homemade fresh, not bad. i'd go back for sure.

So where exactly is this place already???

At what BTS station is that place????? Asok? Prom Pong??? where shall I stop????

Saladaeng Station; Complex known as J-City (near Silom Soi 4). Look for KFC and go inside the ajacent shopping area to the left rear.

I agree - good Tacos, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

If anybody wanna share this thread with me... Well I talked to the owner yesterday, half Thai, half American (maybe Mexican heritage, I suppose)... This store is only 4 months old. Well I hope that more people are gonna come there, next time I'm gonna take my friend from AUA-Language center with me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made my first optimistic visit today to the Taco Loco shop on Silom Road near Saladaeng BTS station. The owners there, who hail from my former home in California, seem like great guys and were very friendly and helpful.

But, must say, as a Mexican food lover who's eaten everything offered anywhere in Southern California (and elsewhere) for my whole life, the food at Taco Loco was something of a disappointment, even starting out with the clear understanding that this is Thailand and Mexican food isn't native here.

After sampling Taco Loco's 89 baht burrito, 89 baht "macho nachos," and a 55 baht side order of chips and salsa, my judgement is the food at Taco Loco, while certainly cheaper in price per item, doesn't even come close to matching the pretty good offerings at Sunrise Tacos or Charlie Browns, both of which I've given reasonably favorable reviews in other posts here lately.

To anyone familiar with California, Taco Loco is easy to spot along Silom Road because they've pretty much appropriated the logo of a familiar Mexican fast food chain from Cali, Del Taco, and made it their own with a few modifications. But, whereas Del Taco Mexican actually can be pretty good and cheap fast food (such as they use freshly grated cheddar cheese, unlike Taco Bell), Taco Loco's offerings made me long for a Del Taco burrito. And that's not a good sign.

For me, it certainly was a bad omen when my "macho nachos" arrived in a pretty tiny square paper box, and the only cheese to be found was a small drizzling of what looked like melted Velveeta cheese spread, along with very thin, limp shavings of what appeared to be lettuce. When I asked about the cheese upon leaving, the owners told me they'd started out using real shredded cheese at the beginning, but said they were asked by customers to switch to a pre-prepared nacho cheese sauce from home. In any event, the taste and texture were non-existant. To their credit, the guys offered to use real shredded cheddar next time, upon request.

The Taco Loco burrito, medium sized and certainly smaller and lighter than the more expensive 120-130 baht offerings at Sunrise Tacos, arrived absolutely plain in a plastic basket. While they did include frijoles on the inside of the burritos, as well as on the top of the nachos, both left an overall bland, pretty tasteless impression. If Mexican food is good, you can taste the different elements inside--onions, beans, cheese, chiles, etc. and they all blend together into something good. Here, everything blended into pretty much nothing, and it was hard to distinguish the taste of anything particular.

I went to Taco Loco feeling hungry and ready to eat, suffering that pang from home for Mexican food. But after spending close to 300 baht (almost $10 U.S.) on the three menu items and an included soft drink, I went home still feeling hungry and unsatisfied, and seriously considered making a side trip to Sunrise Tacos on the way home for something better. Instead, I settled for a very tasty roast beef sandwich from the Bangkok Baking Co. from my frig, since I'd already spent money for the day.

If I'm still hankering for an entire roast beef sandwich after a full meal at Taco Loco, it's a pretty clear sign something is seriously missing there...starting with the taste.

--John.

• 8 months later...

If anybody knows where in Ekkamai Taco Loco has been re-located, I would be very happy. I may need the exact address and building where there might be, because most Thai people obviously won't know Taco Loco. I've heard it is now near Big C, but I don't know where near Big C...

If possible can someone draw a map for me.... thanks in advance