Opening a bank account using Pink ID and Yellow Book - Any experience? Which banks will do?

The Social Security Office want me to open a bank account using my Pink ID and Yellow Book rather than my passport so they can deduct my 432 Baht monthly payment direct.

SSO said they can't use SCB and that they can't use my existing BKK Bank account 'coz it was opened using a passport number 😞 

So, off to our local BKK Bank branch. They say can only open an account with passport, and, since I already have a working account, they won't open another anyway. To be honest I sense bull to get rid of the farang. This branch only gets 2 stars for customer service!

So, time to do the rounds of the other banks 😞 

To speed me in my quest has anyone actually managed to open an account using Pink ID and yellow book, which bank?

If I score I will, of course, report here.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

The Social Security Office want me to open a bank account using my Pink ID and Yellow Book rather than my passport so they can deduct my 345 Baht monthly payment direct.

SSO said they can't use SCB and that they can't use my existing BKK Bank account 'coz it was opened using a passport number 😞 

So, off to our local BKK Bank branch. They say can only open an account with passport, and, since I already have a working account, they won't open another anyway. To be honest I sense bull to get rid of the farang. This branch only gets 2 stars for customer service!

To speed me in my quest has anyone actually managed to open an account using Pink ID and yellow book, which bank?

I have an 8 year old Krungsri account opened with a passport (same I use for annual extention).  Since I retired from BOI and bought a house (wifes name) I now have Yellow book / Pink ID.  SSO office in HH successfully linked my SSO 39 plan 432 THB monthly payment to that account.   I tried at one point to change the bank account from PP to Pink ID #, and the bank branch said no go.  

Edited by Expat4life66
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

The Social Security Office want me to open a bank account using my Pink ID and Yellow Book rather than my passport so they can deduct my 345 Baht monthly payment direct.

When immiration said we had to have an account solely for me, I had a shared acct made with my p/p and wife, I opened an acct with BB with my p/p AND had to also provide my SS number.  Maybe htat iw what Social Security will need for your new acct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

When immiration said we had to have an account solely for me, I had a shared acct made with my p/p and wife, I opened an acct with BB with my p/p AND had to also provide my SS number.  Maybe htat iw what Social Security will need for your new acct.

BKK Bank were not interested in my ID card/number.

Gonna try one of the other banks noted above.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

BKK Bank were not interested in my ID card/number.

Gonna try one of the other banks noted above.

I wonder if this might have somethinig to do with the new tax interpretations...

He's asking about how to link the sso 39 plan 432 monthly payment to an existing account.  I have already explained in above post what I did and it works.  If he is getting push back from any one of the corrupt sso offices in Bangkok they are looking for grease for the wheels.  HH was very cool about sorting it out a couple years ago for me

Edited by Expat4life66

53 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

What happens if you miss one social security monthly payment?

If off employment and converted from 33 to 39 plan you get a month grace.  The sso deduction is linked to a sole account.. wife has one and I have one.  Something weird happened when we changed my wife's address last year and she had 15 days to report to the ss office to update and pay current month due in person, else would have cancelled

Edited by Expat4life66

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

SoI, time to do the rounds of the other banks 😞 

Yes Bkk.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

SSO monthly membership 345?

Mostly it's 432Bht a month.

Aging memory! (no, it doesn't give you a reduction) :whistling:

OP edited to avoid confusion.

8 hours ago, willr said:

Yes with Bangkok bank, using yellow book and Pink ID card,

And already had joint bank account with wife.

I suspect our local BKK Bank branch just wanted rid of the awkward farang, it wouldn't be the first time I've been fobbed off there.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I suspect our local BKK Bank branch just wanted rid of the awkward farang, it wouldn't be the first time I've been fobbed off there.

I wanted to open a second account and I was told that a foreigner could not have an account at Krungthai. I showed her my saving book from that branch and she still continued to tell me it is not possible to have an account. After a while, i asked her to go and get the manager. The manager told the clerk that foregners could open accounts.

Moral of the story-speak to the manager.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I wanted to open a second account and I was told that a foreigner could not have an account at Krungthai. I showed her my saving book from that branch and she still continued to tell me it is not possible to have an account. After a while, i asked her to go and get the manager. The manager told the clerk that foregners could open accounts.

Moral of the story-speak to the manager.

Sometimes people in this country are literally insane. 

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

The Social Security Office want me to open a bank account using my Pink ID and Yellow Book rather than my passport so they can deduct my 432 Baht monthly payment direct.

If you translate the reverse of the pink card, the first thing it says is,"This is not an ID card".

Maybe this is the problem.

54 minutes ago, Crossy said:

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

Saying "No" or creating another "out of their control problem" is better than losing face by saying they don't know how how to do something.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/16/2024 at 10:04 AM, Crossy said:

Yes, my local Krungsi, But wife was with me.

4 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Saying "No" or creating another "out of their control problem" is better than losing face by saying they don't know how how to do something.

few years back my Thai adult son went into a big branch K Bank in CM, where he already had 3 accounts.

Came his turn he went to the service desk and told the girl:

- I want to open a new savings account. I already have 3 at this branch

- I don't want an ATM card

- I don't sign bank forms in advance.

All this time the bank girli s chatting to the girl at the next desk with an occasional yeahhhh...

5 minutes later girl puts a 'new account' form in front of my son and points to the bottom and says 'sign here'.

Son says no I want to read the document first. Girl says 'not allowed'.

Son discovers that the girl has ticked 'yes; for an ATM card. Son say 'no I already told you No ATM card'.

Girl responds 'but it's a rule of the government, everybody has to have an ATM card.

This continues for 10 minutes and says 'give me a blank 'new account' for, girl says no 'not allowed'.

Son then grab all his documents, went to Krung Thai branch 2 minutes walk away, departed KT bank 15 minutes later with 3 new savings accounts.

With 10 minutes son got a 'Welcome' phone call from KT Bank HO. urging him to call KT urging him to call KT HO if any difficulties. Never had any difficulty.   

Scored at Krungthai bank, personal attention from the senior account manager as he spoke passable English.

Took a while because they'd not come across a farang needing an account in their Thai name before.

Took copies of my Pink ID, Yellow Book, passport and (for reasons unknown) driving licence. I signed 1,000,000 pieces of paper including the obligatory FATCA form (as a Brit just tick all the "no" boxes) 

Interestingly, Madam confided in the bank staff that BKK-Bank had actually told her that it was too hard and she should take her husband somewhere else!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

We had one minor bump in the road in that I had to return to the bank to get online banking working, 10 minutes (and more photocopies) and we're good to go.