Wise wants lots of id stuff

Sorry if this has already been covered. There's been so many wise issues lately I may have missed it.

Just received an email demanding lots of documents be uploaded.

Anyone else get the same, and how did it go?

Screenshot_20240717_074432_Gmail.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

You're obviously a money laundering risk, provide the docs

I don't know how they found me this time. Need another fake passport I guess.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Had this back in January, only passport, not "loads" of documents.

It reads "a document" not all of them.

I had something similar back in 2018 when I opened my Borderless account with Wise and nothing since.

The seems to be a few posts complaining about Wise lately for some odd reason or another.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I had something similar back in 2018 when I opened my Borderless account with Wise and nothing since.

The seems to be a few posts complaining about Wise lately for some odd reason or another.

Invariably there is a reason, and unlikely to be "odd". Posters however seem reluctant to give much detail.

A year or so ago they introduced an interest bearing account so I put some  of my GBP balance into that. Sometime later I got a message to say I had to confirm my tax residency, no big deal.

I was one that had problems with wise a couple of months ago. It took 1 week for the transfer. They said they were having problems with their partner bank in Thailand. That was all sorted I've transferred money since then and it goes through incredibly quick. 

As ID I think it was just passport, that wasn't complicated, went through quickly. That was about 9 months ago. I only ever had the one problem, but that would not put me off wise. 

I did download Remitly as a backup. It seems to be quite good similar rates to wise, but one good thing is you can send money without it having to go into an account. You can pick up at any bank you nominate. You can even have it delivered to your door. Has anyone ever used Remitly?

Looks like home delivery isn't for Thailand. 

From their site.

Bank deposit

Bank deposit is the best option if you have a bank account and want to save the money or withdraw cash when you need it.

Cash pickup

If you don't use a bank account or just prefer to use cash, this is a great option. Find a nearby pickup location that works best for you, then collect your cash using a picture ID and a reference number.

Mobile money

If you use an app on your phone to pay for what you need, receiving money directly in the mobile money app of your choice might be the most convenient option.

Home delivery

If you live in the Dominican Republic, Philippines, or Vietnam, you can have cash delivered directly to you by courier. This option works great if you live in a rural area or it's not easy for you to get to a nearby cash pickup location.
Edited by aussiebrian
Adding more information.

Are you an ongoing Wise customer or is this your initial application for an account?

It would be understandable for a person setting up an account to provide proof they reside in the country they are setting up the account in… :coffee1:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gargamon said:

Sorry if this has already been covered. There's been so many wise issues lately I may have missed it.

Just received an email demanding lots of documents be uploaded.

Anyone else get the same, and how did it go?

Screenshot_20240717_074432_Gmail.jpg

Take it or leave it. 😱

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, aussiebrian said:

You can pick up at any bank you nominate.

I assume that's the 'Mobile Money' option? If picking it up from a bank is the only choice, then it's not much protection from the money being reported to the TRD at some point in the future, which might be one reason to use Remitly. 

It's noteworthy that the three countries mentioned for cash delivery to your door are not signed up to CRS, it might explain why it's not an option in Thailand, where almost everything else is deliverable nowadays, from Food to bar girls, lol.

58 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Driving license accepted as a right to residency? Shows how little these finance people know.

These finance people couldn't care less, they are simply trying to make it easy for their customers.

I think you will find this is a phishing trip. Look on the Wise website, search "phishing" and it will tell you how to recognise genuine messages from them, how to detect false ones, and what to do to improve your security, and deal with security breaches. If all else fails, use steam telephone to call them, they don't bite..... far from it, they are very very helpful.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, freeworld said:

Driving license accepted as a right to residency? Shows how little these finance people know.

You have to provide proof of residency to obtain a driving license and your address is on the back of it. So if that matches your registered address shouldn't that be proof enough that you have 'right of residency?'

I think they know a little bit more than you give them credit for.

• Like 1

This is what I found out a year ago in my case. I always sent dollars exchange with baht.

When you log into Wise after on screen you will see some country money boxes on top left of these boxes is a small Green box that says " send "

If you hit one of the boxes example US Dollar, which I did a year ago wanting to send money it will start to ask you to upload documents as you noted. Hitting one of these boxes you are setting up another account so when you want to send money it goes into this account it is like a Wise savings so when you need money in future instead of indicating you want to take from listed oversea accounts you can chose from the Wise account if you set up and take the money will be in your Thai account without having to wait.

To bypass hit the small green tab on left above the country currency boxes that says " Send "

Dont click the currency boxes! 

Edited by thailand49

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BKKKevin said:

Are you an ongoing Wise customer or is this your initial application for an account?

It would be understandable for a person setting up an account to provide proof they reside in the country they are setting up the account in… :coffee1:

I've been using wise for a year or two. In fact, I had already uploaded my passport, etc. That's why I thought it strange they were asking again for the same stuff. I did try, as I mentioned in an earlier post, to do a transfer before I submitted any documents and it went very smoothly and no docs were needed to be uploaded. I'm beginning to think an earlier poster was correct and it was a phishing email looking for my info. I'm not going to upload anything while continuing to use the app and see if anything breaks down the road.

Edit: I likely neglected to mention the demand I received was in an email, not from the app.

Edited by gargamon

5 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Your Wise account is in which country?

I have bank accts in Canada and the US that are sources for money sent to Thailand and the Philippines. I'm Canadian and all the accounts are legit as I worked in the US for over a decade.

8 minutes ago, john donson said:

sadly or luckily, I have no more money to send here

retirement but no pension (yet)

Then you must have a stack of capital.

Perhaps use some of to buy decent coffee.......personally, I like Tchibo.

13 hours ago, gargamon said:

I have bank accts in Canada and the US that are sources for money sent to Thailand and the Philippines. I'm Canadian and all the accounts are legit as I worked in the US for over a decade.

I heard, the bank behind Wise in USA was hacked. So probably all information about Wise customers in USA are in the hands of some scammers.

If you received an email, then yes, there is a good chance this could be a scam.

So far I know this only affects customers in USA or somehow the bank behind was this bank. But I also read, that Wise after that changed the bank for US customers already.