Zuckerberg Stays Neutral for 2024 Election, Focusing Meta Away from Politics

Social Media

image.png.6e45ce420cefabd41c0408ea7868796c.png

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg has chosen to remain neutral in the 2024 presidential election, refraining from endorsing either President Biden or former President Trump. In an interview with Bloomberg’s Emily Chang, Zuckerberg expressed his decision not to engage significantly in this election cycle. “I’ve done some stuff personally in the past,” he said, “I’m not planning on doing that this time, and that includes not endorsing either of the candidates.” This stance contrasts with the recent political activity of other notable tech figures who have openly supported Trump.

Following an assassination attempt at a campaign rally last weekend, Elon Musk, the billionaire CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, officially endorsed Trump. Additionally, former Democratic donors such as Palantir adviser Jacob Helberg and Sequoia Capital partner Shaun Maguire have also shifted their support to Trump, reflecting a conservative shift within Silicon Valley, traditionally a Democratic stronghold.

Although Zuckerberg refrained from endorsing any candidate, he expressed admiration for Trump’s resilience following the assassination attempt. He described Trump’s reaction as “badass,” saying, “Seeing Donald Trump get up after getting shot in the face and pump his fist in the air with the American flag is one of the most badass things I’ve ever seen in my life.” Zuckerberg acknowledged the emotional impact of Trump’s spirit and fight, which he believes resonates with many Americans.

Zuckerberg's decision to step back from political endorsements aligns with Meta’s broader strategy to reduce political content on its platforms. Instagram, a subsidiary of Meta, announced in February that it would no longer proactively recommend political content to users. Instead, users must adjust their settings if they wish to receive political content recommendations. Zuckerberg explained the rationale behind this shift: “The main thing that I hear from people is that they actually want to see less political content on our services because they come to our services to connect with people.”

Meta’s approach aims to diminish its role in the upcoming election. “We give people control over this, but we’re generally trying to recommend less political content,” Zuckerberg stated. “So, I think you’re going to see our services play less of a role in this election than they have in the past.”

This move marks a significant change for Meta, which has previously faced scrutiny for its handling of political content and misinformation. By stepping back from political endorsements and reducing political content on its platforms, Zuckerberg and Meta aim to refocus on fostering personal connections among users.

Credit: Hill 2024-07-22

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe