Vientiane Restaurant - replacement?

kwilco

TH Vientiane restaurant was always pone of the best eateries in Pattaya - the last one on the "Dark side" - is now closed.

Does anyone know if they are planning to re-open? .. or have they already doe so? 

Maybe somewhere else in Pattaya?

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Hmmm... Both Google and Tripadvisor, says it´s open.

I'd they say are both wrong then.

Look at the dates? - the tripadvisor reviews are all rre-Covid

Google maps says permanently closed. - WWHH+Q8R, Noen Plubwan Rd, Pattaya City, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150, Thailand

I drove past in March and it looked derelict.

Do you have a link for the ones claiming it to be open?

Edited by kwilco

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

Google maps says permanently closed. - WWHH+Q8R, Noen Plubwan Rd, Pattaya City, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150, Thailand

If you can figure that out all by yourself, why do you need a thread asking how to Google?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

If you can figure that out all by yourself, why do you need a thread asking how to Google?

I'm not - I'm asking if the restaurant has reopened elsewhere - It requires someone with up to date knowledge of Pattaya 

"Does anyone know if they are planning to re-open? .. or have they already doe so?

Maybe somewhere else in Pattaya?"

Why do you think I'm asking how to Google?

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

I'm not - I'm asking if the restaurant has reopened elsewhere - It requires someone with up to date knowledge of Pattaya 

Why do you think I'm asking how to Google?

Well if a restaurant with the exact same name re-opened elsewhere it would more likely come up on Google?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

Ok, you are probably right. Just saw a green open dot on the first search. Checked a little bit more, and stands Maybe Permanently Closed.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

Does anyone know if they are planning to re-open? .. or have they already doe so?

Wife's family who live in Nong Prue M1; delivered produce to this restaurant before the covid period.

Mother-in-law says the restaurant has been demolished and land owner was in the process of filling in the pond. No info about opening another restaurant.

Along with the covid disaster, the area has suffered the usual cut and paste frenzy which has diluted the customer base to the point where many good restaurants closed.

• Like 1

Demolished so long ago, its on google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9295078,100.928585,3a,75y,308.59h,71.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRsUMXNB8NuGaGUgk2ATURA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

Sadly, as someone who ate in the 2nd Road, Walking Street, Pattaya Tai branches, and this one, there is no replacement.

Would seem Covid is to blame.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, kwilco said:

TH Vientiane restaurant was always pone of the best eateries in Pattaya - the last one on the "Dark side" - is now closed.

Maybe somewhere else in Pattaya?

If you want information from the source, so to speak, give 'K' a call at the https://balihaibay.com or pop in and ask for her if in the vicinity. Then you'll know if they will reopen or are running another restaurant under a different name.

• Like 1

Maybe the guy was getting old - but he/his family ran a really good restaurant - as said above, at many locations around Pattaya (I thought Walking Street was a mistake) - so you'd have thought something would have risen from the ashes.

39 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Maybe the guy was getting old - but he/his family ran a really good restaurant - as said above, at many locations around Pattaya (I thought Walking Street was a mistake) - so you'd have thought something would have risen from the ashes.

I've let you know how to contact them to find out. Walking Street location was likely as it was connected to Julie Complex, for those who don't know: http://www.pattayaone.com/hotelclosed.html

They moved on to build Bali Hai Bay.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Possibly, but it was great while it lasted.

THe ones on Second Rd and Noen Plubwan were the best....I think the location on walking street wasn't conclusive to their Laos-style menu

19 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

Along with the covid disaster, the area has suffered the usual cut and paste frenzy which has diluted the customer base to the point where many good restaurants closed.

A lot of good eateries failed due to Covid. Pre Covid I had quite a variety around me and new ones popping up were common....felt sorry that Covid took away their investment. Now we mainly just have the ever expanding and dominating Pa Boon places. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kwilco said:

THe ones on Second Rd and Noen Plubwan were the best....I think the location on walking street wasn't conclusive to their Laos-style menu

There was also one off Pattaya Tai, near Big C South Pattaya.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A lot of good eateries failed due to Covid. Pre Covid I had quite a variety around me and new ones popping up were common....felt sorry that Covid took away their investment. Now we mainly just have the ever expanding and dominating Pa Boon places. 

It is an unfortunate result of Covid that the hardest hit were the smaller businesses, often family owned - big corporations with access to capital have been able to start up again or continue. The result of this is that the face of Thai tourism has become a lot blander and more uniform as corporate businesses take over. This is similar to what happened in Phuket post tsunami.  THere doesn't seem to be much support for small individual businesses to help them recover.

Edited by kwilco
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, gargamon said:

That one was geared to bus tours. Not sure if they survived covid.

It didn't. It's been through a few iterations since then.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

That one was geared to bus tours. Not sure if they survived covid.

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

THat catered for coach tours etc.

In the end yes, but not at the start.

On 7/21/2024 at 11:25 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Well if a restaurant with the exact same name re-opened elsewhere it would more likely come up on Google?

Based on your rationale, best close the forum down then.

• Haha 2

On 7/22/2024 at 12:49 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Sadly, as someone who ate in the 2nd Road, Walking Street, Pattaya Tai branches, and this one, there is no replacement.

There never really was a replacement for the one on 2nd Road.  

Went in the Walking Street one a couple of times but once was enough for Pattaya Tai.

• Agree 1