The Best of Chatuchak Market?

I probably haven’t walked around Chatuchak Market in about 10 years. I used to really enjoy it, even though it is in many ways geared more towards tourists. To me, going there always felt like a really traditional cultural Thai experience despite how modernized Bangkok has become. It also seemed like it had some of the best stuff made in Thailand to look at. And cultural in the sense that I would always see interesting handy crafts from all parts of the country, lots of Buddhist artwork and antiques, interesting food stalls, essential oils, and a great place to buy cheap ceramic plates and bowls as well as exotic looking drinking glasses. Some of the wood furniture was also really fun to look at as well. And we would always find a great place to eat some delicious fried chicken, sticky rice, larb, and that kind of good stuff. 

In the last 10 years, I have at least visited the Ao Tor Kor market across the street a few times. That’s great too. Always an amazing selection of high-quality fruit to choose from, as well as fresh meat, fish, and vegetables if you like to cook. And then there is also some interesting ready-made foods available towards the end in the food court area. I also think Ao Tor Kor has one of the biggest selections of rice varieties for sale that I’ve ever seen in Thailand.

Anyway, I’m so out of touch with what it’s like in Chatuchak Market these days. I’m sure a lot has changed, depending on what sells best and what the (mainly) Asian tourists are looking for nowadays. Is it still a really fun place to walk around on a weekend? And, if so, what are the things there that you enjoy most about it? 

Edited by RSD1
  • Like 1

Never liked it as it gets so hot with all the tin roofs. Pretty much useless stuff you don't need. Prefer night markets. I'm going to SaveOne market soon. I believe it is the largest in the country for night markets. In Bangkok I like catching ferries more than any market. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, susanlea said:

SaveOne market

That's Korat. Useless and anecdotal.

33 minutes ago, susanlea said:

catching ferries

If you wanna catch fairies best you go down to Silom. 

Here was the questions on Chatuchak:

43 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Is it still a really fun place to walk around on a weekend? And, if so, what are the things there that you enjoy most about it? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

. Is it still a really fun place to walk around on a weekend?

During the cooler months yes, nice this time of year. 

After the markets it's nice to go for a stroll around the park across the road with your loved one ❤️

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

It's a good place to get essential oils, incense etc. Prob 20% off of Chinatown, which is also good.

It's also the only place in Thailand where I found Lao Coffee, and at a reasonable price.

But you do eventually get marketed out. You've seen one hanging duck, you've seen them all. You age out of tee shirts with pictures on them.

When I was in Oman and Borneo this year, the visit to the market was a tour highlight for most people. But I live near the Chiang Mai Uni Market and I never bother to go anymore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

But you do eventually get marketed out.

I agree. That is a definite problem with massive markets. It can become both exhausting and sensory overload. With Chatuchak the heat eventually got to me too. That's why I more or less stopped going. And when things are cheap you sometimes end up buying a lot more stuff than you need just because it's cheap and looks cool. There was a time I was buying stuff there as props for projects I was involved with. Mainly fabrics and ceramics. It was an excellent resource for that.

But in general, I find I enjoy big markets the most when I just walk around, look at stuff, stop to eat something good when I get hungry, and leave when I get tired, but without really buying anything. 

Chatuchak itself is the same, minus the burnt pet section.  I was pleasantly surprised by the adjacent converted warehouse/malls that are new-ish.  MixT and Bang Sue Junction and I forget the names of the other ones.  And of course, JJ market and some other building that has JJ in the name.  Air conditioned, lots of eclectic stuff, places to eat and have a coffee.  And generally open on weekdays (with exceptions- check Google maps before you go). 

My only gripe would be the massage hawkers, but they're not aggressive.  Just everywhere, not unlike the hawkers at the Weekend Market.

If you haven't been to Chatuchak post Covid, I suggest you give it a try.  If only for the free A/C to take a break from the heat at the Weekend Market.  I scrounge the Weekend Market for an hour or so, then duck into the A/C for a break.

Edited by impulse

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

And of course, JJ market and some other building that has JJ in the name.

I think you are referring to JJ Mall as it is called. I think I bought some big and inexpensive suitcases there a couple of times about 10 years ago. It was great for that, but then, once online retail took over with websites like Lazada, I began getting all that kind of stuff online and I no longer go shopping for stuff like that. Yes, the indoor shopping part is much more comfortable with the air conditioning. But I'm not sure I would go there just for that. If you're gonna be indoors, it's kind of like any other shopping mall in Bangkok. I think it's the outdoor market concept with the endless lanes of stalls that makes it so uniquely interesting. That's just my take anyway.

Back in the day there was even a map created and sold by a expat woman that she made to help people find things more easily within the endless maze of stuff. Not sure if that map is still being sold though. 

24 minutes ago, impulse said:

Chatuchak itself is the same

That's good to hear it's the same though. 

I just checked online and I couldn't find that map made by that woman anymore. I think her name was Jenny. Anyway, I see there were lots of maps available now. Probably can download a good one for free.

18 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

But I'm not sure I would go there just for that. If you're gonna be indoors, it's kind of like any other shopping mall in Bangkok.

MixT and Bang Sue Junction (I think that's the name of it, the red building- hard to miss) have a bunch of eclectic stuff you won't find in a typical mall.  More like a huge Flea Market with antiques, used clothes,  camping gear, used tech gear, etc.  Lots of models and collectibles from Anime, etc.  I went there scrounging the 2nd hand camera shops and got a decent deal on a fairly current model camcorder.   One attraction is that the selection is always changing.

I didn't even go to JJ Mall because I've been there so many times before Covid.   Maybe later this week when I'm on my monthly visit to Bangkok.

Well worth a visit, especially if you're already in the area.  Look at Google Maps on a high magnifications to find them all.  There's a lot more than there were before Covid.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

That's good to hear it's the same though. 

I just checked online and I couldn't find that map made by that woman anymore. I think her name was Jenny. Anyway, I see there were lots of maps available now. Probably can download a good one for free.

When I say "the same", I meant the flavor of the place.  A lot of sections have been moved around so a map from 5 or 10 years ago may not be accurate.  I did see a lot of tourists walking around with maps, but I didn't ask about the maps because I prefer to wing it.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

Never liked it as it gets so hot with all the tin roofs. Pretty much useless stuff you don't need. Prefer night markets. I'm going to SaveOne market soon. I believe it is the largest in the country for night markets. In Bangkok I like catching ferries more than any market. 

Wrong again! Not even in the top 3:

The biggest night markets in Thailand are:

• Rot Fai Market (Train Night Market): Located behind Seacon Square Shopping Mall in Bangkok, known for a wide variety of goods and food.
  • The One Ratchada Night Market: A busy market in Bangkok focusing on local makers and artists.
  • Chatuchak Weekend Market: The world’s largest weekend market, visited by over 200,000 people every weekend.
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, RSD1 said:

That's Korat. Useless and anecdotal.

If you wanna catch fairies best you go down to Silom. 

Here was the questions on Chatuchak:

Nana hotel lobby and JJ. Living the dream.

Edited by susanlea
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Wrong again! Not even in the top 3:

The biggest night markets in Thailand are:

• Rot Fai Market (Train Night Market): Located behind Seacon Square Shopping Mall in Bangkok, known for a wide variety of goods and food.
  • The One Ratchada Night Market: A busy market in Bangkok focusing on local makers and artists.
  • Chatuchak Weekend Market: The world’s largest weekend market, visited by over 200,000 people every weekend.

JJ is a day market 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Clear signs of narcotics abuse. Sad. 

Never used them. JJ market is interesting the first time as its different to other markets. Why most tourists go. Thais go to buy stuff for home. Why are you going? If you want to buy something just go. No need to start a topic before you go shopping. Just go.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

Never used them. JJ market is interesting the first time as its different to other markets. Why most tourists go. Thais go to buy stuff for home. Why are you going? If you want to buy something just go. No need to start a topic before you go shopping. Just go.

How is your day going? You sound a bit frustrated. There are also free public toilets at JJ that you can exploit too. See if they lift your mood.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

How is your day going? You sound a bit frustrated. There are also free public toilets at JJ that you can exploit too. See if they lift your mood.

You like public toilets, hotel lobbies. Interesting life.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, susanlea said:

You like public toilets, hotel lobbies. Interesting life.

Lol. You should start another topic about what needless garbage you can buy with 40 Baht. You like poverty. Sad life. 

• Love It 1

Chatuchak  is one of the great markets of the world , on a par with Camden , Bac Ha .... and the now defunked Panjaiyuan .  40 something years ago I used to buy old textiles from Lao and Isan ladies who sold out of gunny  bags just spread  on the floor ....    these days the antiques offering is pretty limited , with more and more imported goods offered for sale .... but most weeks I walk past a fabulous and enormous wooden lao buddha that I really covert . Its somewhere between 120000 and 160000 depending on the mood of the vendor !   Section 25 has some interesting shops offering tribal baskets and silver , and I recently bought a good Nishapur bowl from an Afghan trader .....      the art market in section 7 is well worth a look if your are furnishing , it has a nice vibe and a clean well maintained loo , close to the Mixt entrance . Mrs C has a few units there selling to visitors , resort operators , designers and ex pats furnishing apartments . Bang Sue junction is stuffed with vintage clobber and several Antiques dealers who have scarpered from River City .....   but the best thing about Chatuchak for me is the people ....  the fashion conscious Thai's , the extrovert stall  holders , the scruffy tourists , the Khmer guys running ice around the market to the food vendors ....... a real melting pot .. I love it ...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't make fun of him because he's poor. He can't help it.

How rich to you really need to be to have a HiSo dentist GF?

Apparently, not hardly rich at all. Any JoeBlow can entice them with a little bogan banter. He likes to "make them laugh".  Like a clown.

Back to the market topic:

I used to collect Thai Nang Kwak Statues and old Buddhist graphics. I no longer do. The indoor flea market near the Chatachuk was a goldmine.

Even as a non-collector, I still graze it like its a museum. I'll pop down from Chiang Mai, stay in Ari for fusion-ish meals, and stay at the Craftsman for $100 a night. That's a $200 room for $100 and no need to get on a train or deal with traffic.

If only there was someone who would OCD-toss up a picture of a The Craftsman Hotel to remind us of his futile existence.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

When I say "the same", I meant the flavor of the place.  A lot of sections have been moved around so a map from 5 or 10 years ago may not be accurate.  I did see a lot of tourists walking around with maps, but I didn't ask about the maps because I prefer to wing it.

No problem. I understood what you meant about it being the same.

I never bothered much with the maps either. I prefer a bit more spontaneity, unless I'm really trying to find something. 

Anyway, i'm sure the creators of the maps do update them every year or two because of the fact that things do change quickly. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, impulse said:

Well worth a visit, especially if you're already in the area.  Look at Google Maps on a high magnifications to find them all.  There's a lot more than there were before Covid.

Yes, I'm not far away from it and it does sound like it's worth a visit to see what's new as it's been so long since I was last there. At least just to have a stroll around, see what is there now, what has changed, and eat some enjoyable local food. 👍🏼

Edited by RSD1

20 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Lol. You should start another topic about what needless garbage you can buy with 40 Baht. You like poverty. Sad life. 

Projection there. Hotel lobbies and free toilets. 

• Sad 1