Question For Sunbelt

A while ago I saw a reply from Sunbelt about opening a bank account. They posted a letter ( I think) That someone could take to the bank and open an account without a work permit. I don't have a problem in this area, but a friend of mine does.. The first thing the bank ask is for a WP, which he doesn't have. Any advice would be great. Thanks

A while ago I saw a reply from Sunbelt about opening a bank account. They posted a letter ( I think) That someone could take to the bank and open an account without a work permit. I don't have a problem in this area, but a friend of mine does.. The first thing the bank ask is for a WP, which he doesn't have. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Had the same until i went up country and the same bank who wanted a WP in bangkok did not even ask for one.

I believe they offered to introduce persons to a Bank of Ayudhya where then could open an account. I do not recall a letter that could be used - and surly not at all banks. Most people can obtain if they visit a few branches (even the same bank may open at another branch).

When my wife started a combined savings and insurance account for herself and her children I thought it would be wise for me to ask for a savings account at the same time. They took a copy of my passport and asked for my present address here in Thailand. No problemo. I also got a Mastercard for electronic use only. This was in 2005, in the local Siam Commercial Bank.

I haven't had a bad experience with the immigration or the police either. :o

It seems that Bankgok sucks and the good easy life is in the countryside.

We used to introduce people to the Bank of Ayudyah where they could open a savings account without a work permit. This changed around the first of the year when the banks were very tough with foreigners opening savings accounts.

Its potluck, some banks will do it and others will not. Just go from branch to branch till you find one that will.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

We used to introduce people to the Bank of Ayudyah where they could open a savings account without a work permit. This changed around the first of the year when the banks were very tough with foreigners opening savings accounts.

Its potluck, some banks will do it and others will not. Just go from branch to branch till you find one that will.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks for the advice...

Bangkok Bank will take a certificate of residency in lieu of a work permit, plus you need a Non Imm visa.

Certificates of residency can be obtained from your Embassy/Consulate, and from Immigration if you're on an annual extension of stay. The latter is (or used to be) free.