Kittens And A Plea For Help

I need to issue a plea for help out to all pet lovers here. About 5 weeks ago we had a pregnant female cat wander into our offices, and she was obviously looking for a warm friendly place to have her litter. We put food out for her, and water and milk and shortly thereafter she had her kittens - 4 little tykes now 4 weeks old. About a week ago in one of the properties that we manage, another mother cat with a new litter was bitten by a dog, and this cat subsequently died. She had 3 kittens who at the time were only about a week old, so we tried to put them together with our new mum and she cared for them as if they were her own. She fed them her own milk, and the other kittens didn't mind sharing at all. This is were the story takes a turn for the worse. The remaining mother cat just this morning wandered a little too close to the road and was hit by a car. We took her to the vet but she has now died. The second set of kittens have now had there own mother and the surrogate mom die. They are only 2 weeks old. The original fab4 cats are 4 weeks, and are starting to eat solid food so I think that they have homes already and will survive. The 2 week olds need a mother if possible, we have baby formula for cats from the local vet, and perhaps out there somewhere someone knows of a mother cat who could take care of them until they are weaned (maybe another 6 weeks). I will endeavour to help place these poor kittens myself, and I will personally pay for their first round of shots and for food and necessities. Any help would be appreciated. Best regards, J

DSCF1327s.jpg

DSCF1332s.jpg

DSCF1325s.jpg

DSCF1326s.jpg

i got two mother cats here with two litters, the one litter 3 months old, the other 2 months. both mothers still have milk.

That sounds like an ideal situation. If one mum doesn't take to them maybe the other will.

please give a call at 08 1968 6501 . Cheers -

aw man i don't have access to a mama cat and i have 3 big dogs (and a soi full of others) that would probably eat the kittens. otherwise i would love to give a kitten a home!

Kind soul, Japh!

I am surprised the mom who passed was ginger -- very rare (most are toms), just as calicos are usually female.

Good luck with your feeding. I've done it -- up every 4 hours. Hope the surrogate moms work out.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Interesting factoid, Jet. Calico cats must have two X chromosomes. So, a male calico cat will have XXY and be sterile. Ginger females are unusual, I agree. Lovely kitties :o

First off, what is a calico cat? A calico cat is not a breed of cat, it is a color pattern. To be called "calico", three colors must be present: black, white and orange. Variations of these colors include gray, cream and ginger. A "true" calico cat has large blocks of these three colors, a "tortoise shell" or "tortie" cat has a mix of these three colors (blended/swirled together more than distinct blocks of color). Be sure to stop by the Calico Cat Gallery on the About.com Cats site to see photos of a variety of calico cats.

Now that a calico cat has been defined as a cat with three colors, the question is: why are they nearly always female? The answer is in genetics. Coat color in cats is a sex-linked trait, a physical characteristic (coat color) related to gender. Female animals have two X chromosomes (XX), males have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome (XY). The genetic coding for displaying black or orange color is found on the X chromosome. The coding for white is a completely separate gene.

Since females have two X chromosomes, they are able to "display" two colors (orange and black, or variations thereof) and white; creating the 3-color calico mix. Since males have only one X chromosome, they can only be orange OR black. It is more complicated than simply having the color genes -- it is a complex process of dominant and non-dominate genes interacting on the X chromosomes, but that is the basis for coat color in calico cats. For those of you interested in the detailed coat color genetics, please see the "Related Reading" articles at the bottom of this FAQ.

Can a calico cat ever be male? Yes, in rare instances. In this situation, the cat has two X chromosomes and one Y chromosome (XXY). Cats with this chromosomal configuration are usually sterile (not able to breed). This is similar to a condition in humans called Klinefelter's syndrome, or XXY Syndrome.

About.com

Hope kitties are doing well.

• 5 weeks later...

I wish, but I have 4 dogs, 2 of which like to hunt . I am afraid what would happen to little kitty when I am not around. :o

Also, am not in Thailand at the mo, not sure how hubby would feel if you showed up on Koh P with a couple of kitties and said, "Oh sbk told me it was alright to drop them off" :D

I'll be sure to tell my husband it was your idea jet :D

Honestly, if I were to get another kitty I would probably go rescue a kitten from the wat here on the island. And don't believe I am not tempted. Our kitty died last year (of old age--she was 16) and I think I am finally able to consider another cat, there was no replacing my kitty. We had her nearly our entire married life and we both miss her :o

surely wouldn't want the babies to be hunted by dogs sbk. i have to keep kitties and doggies strictly seperated here as well....

anyone else? indoor keeping would be much preferred as too many accidents here with free roaming cats (and dogs), see moms of the two litters above... :o

Elfe is one of the most kind and generous people that I have met. She cares for literally dozens of animals. Many thanks to her for her help! In other news, the original 4 kittens are at my house, I couldn't split them up - all they have is each other, and they sleep in a pile nicely. They are now at that fearless/commando training stage of their upbringing, and doing well. Cheers all - J

^ 555 I hope you don't have expensive curtains, Japh. My brood would chase each other up the curtains and then swing over to the screens where they would be stuck like those Garfields suction-cupped to car windows. Rescue them 100 times and they would never learn. Don't forget to close the bathroom door unless you want toilet paper confetti.

My dogs and cats always got along. The cats pounced on the sleeping dogs for one set of commando training.

Anyway, lovely you adopted the four, Japh. What a guy!