Anyone had 7% VAT charged on products sent from US?

Got a package a few weeks ago (supplements) and there was no VAT charged upon delivery.  However, the same company in the US is now adding 7% to all orders going to Thailand.  Are they enforcing the 7% VAT on all orders coming into Thailand or is the company in the US adding it when they shouldn't be?  Thanks for the input.

AFAIK, VAT has always been charged on imported goods exceeding 1500 THB.

Starting on 19 July and continuing through 31 December 2024, the government is also collecting VAT on imported goods with a value of 1-1500 THB.  The "official" explanation is to combat competition from cheap imported Chinese goods.  

(Side note: I'd rather the company collect the VAT on my behalf than make a trip to the Post Office or DHL or wherever.)

Edited by TheAppletons
Formatting

I've had two parcels come within the last 2 weeks, value below the THB 1,500 threshold that applied for Duty / VAT previously.  VAT of 7% charged on both.  Easy enough to pay though as they didn't retain the parcels at the post office for me to go any pay, merely attached the VAT invoice to the parcels in a plastic pouch.  Paid by scanning the QR code.  So it looks like Customs have got the systems up and running to do what the PM announced.  Not sure they would send the parcels before the VAT was paid if there was a significant amount to pay though, in my case it was THB 7 on one and THB 35 on the other.  I suspect the cost of collecting the VAT far outweighed the sum I paid, especially the THB 7!

Interesting comment about DHL.  I've see so many horror stories about couriers that I have always avoided them like the plague.  Had no choice recently as DHL was the only shipping option but I have to say I was very impressed with the service.  Regular updates on the parcel tracking, notification that duty / VAT needed to be paid (THB 350 in this case), downloadable assessment and invoice, link to pay by multiple methods, immediate receipt on payment (even a very detailed email from 2C2P / Prompt pay).  DHL added on THB 214 for processing the parcel, I don't use a car or even a bike in Bangkok now so it would have cost me THB 120 return trip to the post office to pay the duty and then THB 20 for Thai Post service charge.  It was easily worth the THB 74 for me simply to not have to trek to the post office.  Pleasantly surprised, I was fearing the worst!