Bank America Card

From Facebook:

Bank America Card
A heads up - if you lose your Bank of America credit card, or someone tries fraudulent use, you won't be able to get a replacement while overseas. I called the bank and they want me to call from my home number, which is impossible when I am overseas. 
They say it is to protect you, actually they are taking extreme measures to protect themselves. 
I am going to DUMP this card. Best not to depend on a card like this. 

I think you can report a lost or stolen card online via web or BofA mobile app.

And you can request a new card similarly.

I like the Bof A Travel Rewards Visa card as it has zero % foreign transaction fee.

The last I looked they offered 3 -5 day international shipping, but the customer has to pay a portion of the shipping fee.

Can you have a replacement card sent to your home in the U.S., and then have someone there send it, say, via Priority Mail (~ $40.80 the last time I had a card sent. Int'l airmail takes 10 - 14 days, used that a few weeks ago for my new BofA visa card.) 

What do you use for 2FA security options?

On 7/30/2024 at 3:55 PM, Wandr said:

I called the bank and they want me to call from my home number, which is impossible when I am overseas.

You actually can call from your home cell number/sim if your mobile has wifi calling

When I am in Thailand & use that method it works well & of course it is free

Edited by mania

2 hours ago, mania said:

You actually can call from your home cell number/sim if your mobile has wifi calling

When I am in Thailand & use that method it works well & of course it is free

Not all telcos and calling plans include that.  And it's not free.  At least not with my provider.  I still get charged for airtime exactly as if I were making a call through my providers cell towers back home.  All the WiFi does is connect to the providers network via the internet instead of a cell tower.

Edited by shdmn

On 7/31/2024 at 8:55 AM, Wandr said:

From Facebook:

Bank America Card
A heads up - if you lose your Bank of America credit card, or someone tries fraudulent use, you won't be able to get a replacement while overseas. I called the bank and they want me to call from my home number, which is impossible when I am overseas. 
They say it is to protect you, actually they are taking extreme measures to protect themselves. 
I am going to DUMP this card. Best not to depend on a card like this. 

It's their credit card, so of course they are going to protect their money first. It's a CREDIT card, ie. it has THEIR money. It's not (never has been) the cardholder's money.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 7:42 AM, bamnutsak said:

I think you can report a lost or stolen card online via web or BofA mobile app.

And you can request a new card similarly.

I like the Bof A Travel Rewards Visa card as it has zero % foreign transaction fee.

The last I looked they offered 3 -5 day international shipping, but the customer has to pay a portion of the shipping fee.

Can you have a replacement card sent to your home in the U.S., and then have someone there send it, say, via Priority Mail (~ $40.80 the last time I had a card sent. Int'l airmail takes 10 - 14 days, used that a few weeks ago for my new BofA visa card.) 

What do you use for 2FA security options?

It's copied from Facebook, nothing to do with the OP....

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I use google voice and my # appears as a local one...actually called BofA last week from here to ask them a question.... FREE

Google Voice is VoIP calling over the internet, which is a completely different thing.  WiFi calling is a feature that connects to your SIM providers network using the internet instead of cell towers, so it will still show the same CID, always pass SMS security checks, and doesn't result in roaming charges.

Edited by shdmn

As noted by someone the OP was a reproduction. However it raises some questions for me based on the posts here.

The first is about Google Voice - people say you can call from it while based in Thailand but if that is the case  can someone please add the procedure here. I can connect to Voice with my computer, but in order to call it wants to use a local US number. Which I don't have because I live here. If this is not correct please let me know. And if there is a way around it, that would be helpful to know.

As for the gentleman who claims the Facebook post was false, he is full of it. The post mentions fraudulent use, and it's a whole other ballgame when that happens.  Besides, 6/7 years ago procedures were different, less stringent.

13 hours ago, Wandr said:

As noted by someone the OP was a reproduction. However it raises some questions for me based on the posts here.

The first is about Google Voice - people say you can call from it while based in Thailand but if that is the case  can someone please add the procedure here. I can connect to Voice with my computer, but in order to call it wants to use a local US number. Which I don't have because I live here. If this is not correct please let me know. And if there is a way around it, that would be helpful to know.

As for the gentleman who claims the Facebook post was false, he is full of it. The post mentions fraudulent use, and it's a whole other ballgame when that happens.  Besides, 6/7 years ago procedures were different, less stringent.

I think that to set up Google Voice, you need to initially have a real phone number.  After that, at least in my experience, you can make Google Voice calls from other devices.  Only case, the original phone number is no longer active, but my Google Voice still works.  I think I recall adding some money to the account for some reason or another. Anyway, I get spam texts once in a while, but the service doesn’t seem to work for text messages.

On 8/1/2024 at 9:18 AM, shdmn said:

Not all telcos and calling plans include that.  And it's not free.  At least not with my provider. 

Happy to report my AT&T always works great from Thailand & is free (no additional charges for calling from Thailand using wifi calling) . I also have the cheapest AT&T base plan which is $25 a month unlimited talk & text. Have had it for 8 years now. What is extra nice about it is I also receive calls from the USA while in Thailand for our three months a year stays. It caller ID's them as usual & it appears to them I am still in the US. Only downside if of course some folks call in the middle of the night 😅

Edited by mania

19 minutes ago, mania said:

Happy to report my AT&T always works great from Thailand & is free (no additional charges for calling from Thailand using wifi calling) . I also have the cheapest AT&T base plan which is $25 a month unlimited talk & text. Have had it for 8 years now. What is extra nice about it is I also receive calls from the USA while in Thailand for our three months a year stays. It caller ID's them as usual & it appears to them I am still in the US. Only downside if of course some folks call in the middle of the night 😅

If your plan includes unlimited talk&text then it will be the same on WiFi calling.  In other words, you will be charged the same.

Edited by shdmn

8 minutes ago, shdmn said:

You will be charged the same as you would connecting to their cell towers.  If you plan would not charge you for doing that then WiFi will be the same.

I am not charged except my monthly $25 to use unlimited talk & text without wifi in the USA & when in Thailand I connect via wifi calling (Apple Iphone) & receive no additional charges. Been doing so for many years now

Of course in the USA I am only charged my flat $25 a month to connect using the cell towers. (calls within the USA) But what I am saying is wifi calling while out of the country incurs no additional charges for roaming or international calling which I think is nice because yes while in the USA they DO charge to send international texts / pictures etc which of course I never do. Yet while in Thailand I can call USA send texts, pictures etc etc no charge (using WIFI calling)

So I do not think in my/AT&T case it is the same

Edited by mania

6 minutes ago, mania said:

I am not charged except my monthly $25 to use unlimited talk & text without wifi in the USA & when in Thailand I connect via wifi calling (Apple Iphone) & receive no additional charges. Been doing so for many years now

Of course in the USA I am only charged my flat $25 a month to connect using the cell towers. (calls within the USA) But what I am saying is wifi calling while out of the country incurs no additional charges for roaming or international calling which I think is nice because yes while in the USA they DO charge to send international texts / pictures etc which of course I never do

So I do not think in my/AT&T case it is the same

I thought I just said that.  In other words you are charged the same.  The WiFi calling is not free, it's part of your unlimited talk&text. The thing you seem to be getting confused about is the WiFi part.  It's free in the same way as anything else you do on the internet is 'free'.  It's the internet....soooo yea it's 'free', technically.  That has nothing to do with the talk&text part.  That still goes through At&t and it is metered the same as any other call through their cell towers, based on whatever plan you have.

Edited by shdmn

8 hours ago, jas007 said:

I think that to set up Google Voice, you need to initially have a real phone number.  After that, at least in my experience, you can make Google Voice calls from other devices.  Only case, the original phone number is no longer active, but my Google Voice still works.  I think I recall adding some money to the account for some reason or another. Anyway, I get spam texts once in a while, but the service doesn’t seem to work for text messages.

Thanks for the reply. However I am not new to Voice - I have been using it for 15-20 years.

People here have said that they called with Voice from Thailand. They didn't mention if they have a real phone in the US also. Because I cannot call directly from Voice - it wants to connect to a real mobile phone. This has always been the case, when I visit the US I have to get a phone line first.

This is what I was curious about. Since it was not mentioned if  Voice connected to a real phone. If there is some way of calling from Voice directly I would like to know it.

I haven’t tried making a call lately, but when I came back to Thailand this time, one of the first things I did was to change the SIM in my phone to a Thai SIM. So at that point, my U.S. number wasn’t connected to any real phone.  But some business came up and I needed to make a call to the U.S.  I think that’s why I added some money to the Google Voice account.  Anyway, I made the call. It worked, even without a U.S. phone.  

Then again, maybe I’m not remembering things correctly.

Edit: I just looked at my Google Voice account.  The $10 I added to the account still shows as being there, so it wasn’t that.  Then I looked under Settings in the account.  Under the “Call” section, you can choose wi-fi calling. That’s how mine is set.

Edited by jas007

17 hours ago, Wandr said:

Thanks for the reply. However I am not new to Voice - I have been using it for 15-20 years.

People here have said that they called with Voice from Thailand. They didn't mention if they have a real phone in the US also. Because I cannot call directly from Voice - it wants to connect to a real mobile phone. This has always been the case, when I visit the US I have to get a phone line first.

This is what I was curious about. Since it was not mentioned if  Voice connected to a real phone. If there is some way of calling from Voice directly I would like to know it.

I call directly from GV all the time.   There is a call setting in the GV app that defaults to use your mobile carrier to make calls.  Just change that to use WiFi and mobile data instead. 

Settings > Calls > Make and receive calls > Select "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data"

Edited by shdmn
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/5/2024 at 1:34 AM, shdmn said:

I call directly from GV all the time.   There is a call setting in the GV app that defaults to use your mobile carrier to make calls.  Just change that to use WiFi and mobile data instead. 

Settings > Calls > Make and receive calls > Select "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data"

Thanks everyone for the info. As to the setting above, I had already set it.

The problem was another setting which was causing Voice to try and use a mobile number. Even Voice Help did not mention it. There are so many different settings these days that it's hard to get them right sometimes.

Anyway, that one little change did it and I was able to call directly from Voice.

13 hours ago, Wandr said:

Thanks everyone for the info. As to the setting above, I had already set it.

The problem was another setting which was causing Voice to try and use a mobile number. Even Voice Help did not mention it. There are so many different settings these days that it's hard to get them right sometimes.

Anyway, that one little change did it and I was able to call directly from Voice.

What was the other setting?

On 8/6/2024 at 11:39 PM, shdmn said:

What was the other setting?

Sorry, I can't find it now! It was on the computer, not phone, and something like 'send calls to phone '. 

Maybe it will appear when I link Voice to a phone number again.