Hp Or Acer

HDRIDER

I wouldn't get a tablet PC, it's just... weird. They also tend to be quite a bit more expensive than "normal" notebooks. You usually end up using it as a notebook, rather than a tablet, unless you have some special application in mind. Try another HP model.

What screen troubles are you referring to, cdnvic?

I've known several people to have the screens fail completely on them. These are all on Acers bought in the last year. Seems to be common judging from other posts here over that time. On the other hand, I've bought an Acer desktop this year that's been flawless.

A tablet has two major differences from a notebook. First is that the screen can swivel, and therefore face outwards when the screen is folded against the keyboard. Second, the screen has touch-screen capabilities, and is intended to be used with a stylus. The OS used is usually a tablet-PC version of windows. Take a look at the HP link the OP posted, and you'll see what I mean.

Haven't heard of any major screen failures for Acer notebooks. It should cause quite a stir if it was endemic.

Guest Reimar

I wouldn't go with HP! I've terrible experienses with HP-Compaq in Thailand and I'm very happy after I changed to Acer (5593). But Lenove Thinkpad ia an other solution!

We just recently bought an ACER Travelmate 4720 and so far no problems at all, although I would have preferred Windows XP rather than VISTA .

One point to consider is after sale service. I could not find the MAC address of this new ACER and contacted Acer here in Thailand by e-mail. I got an answer within 24 hours, right to the point and helpful.

I heard that with HP are some problems with drivers, but that's just hear-say.

I also have 2 desktop from ACER and in the 2 years since they run, not a single problem.

Acer service in Thailand is truly excellent. The quality of the machines tends to vary greatly. The feel of the new Acer line-up is pretty solid though. The last generation I would not have recommended but it's a new product line and so requires a new quality assessment.

I don't know about HP but service seems to be OK. A friend returned his battery slightly out of warranty. He told them the battery had died long before the 1 yr warranty was over and he just hadn't gotten around to returning it - which was true. HP replaced it which I thought was pretty impressive, TIT and all.

If you want high quality I would go with a Thinkpad. It's the only brand that has consistently distinguished itself in terms of quality. Others are hit or miss, sometimes good sometimes bad.

PS I have an Acer TM 8204 and a MacBook Pro.

Edited by nikster

Hi Guys and thx

More inout please

I have a Acer 4000 Ferrari series now, dont like it that much, starting having problems with it now, 1.5 years old, sometimes its just starting all the CPU power, 100% dont know why.

i will not use the HP as a tablet, i just like the size, and i will need a big HD like 160gb, so good bye thinkpad

Using 100% cpu is not a hardware problem, it's a software problem. Reinstall windows or try to fix the problem.

You should try to find some other model HP, if you don't intend to use this one as a tablet. Tablets are much more expensive than notebooks, and paying the premium to ultimately not use it is not very economically sound.

One problem with Acer Thailand is their tendency to put copied Windows on their systems. Make sure you activate it in store and get the original CDs with it.

Hi cdnvic

My friend just bought an Acer in Singapore, no back up cd, he had to do the back up himself, they told him its so it can only be used on 1 system, i will see what they say with HP next week when i go there, cant do much now, is offshore

One problem with Acer Thailand is their tendency to put copied Windows on their systems. Make sure you activate it in store and get the original CDs with it.

They don't give you CDs. Instead, you have a hidden recovery partition on the hard disk.

You can check on the Acer website which ones come with genuine Windows.

They have a lot of machines where they either don't say, or say they come with Linpus Linux (unfortunate name, no?), and those machines they will install copied Windows versions on. I don't even think they have this Linux version around - I once asked for it in the Acer service center and got only blank stares as a response. Mine came with genuine XP Pro, and a friend got genuine XP home. You know by the hologram sticker on the computer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Acer Aspire. I have had it about 2 years and it has been great. I run nearly all the Adobe software so it works hard. The screen is fantastic - the graphics are superb, much better than my friends HP. However, it did errr - blow up. It was not plugged into a UPS, and just stopped working. (Power spike was the cause of damage) Took it back to Acer - still under warranty, had a new motherboard, keyboard and dvd drive. Worked fine except the DVD drive. Would not read and write DVD's. Took it back,and Acer said it was a problem with windows - a copied version. So I told them to put a genuine copy on or I would tell Microsoft as I bought it new from one of their dealers. Guess what? They did! And the dvd drive still didnt work. No problem though, I flashed it with Sony firmware and now it works fine. Top laptop, top Acer service - will be buying another one soon.

I thought HP doesn't even have customer service in Thailand, they operate from Malaysia and cover business users only.

It's pretty hard to find an HP computer in Thailand, I guess it will be a lot harder to service it.

Guest Reimar
I thought HP doesn't even have customer service in Thailand, they operate from Malaysia and cover business users only.

It's pretty hard to find an HP computer in Thailand, I guess it will be a lot harder to service it.

You're totally wrong: HP Thailand has a huge Office at Rama IV Road, in the same Building as HBC Bank and you'll find HP/Compaq computers everywhere!

Personally I don't like them because of very bad experiences from hardware and service!

hp has a warrenty and service center in Phitsanulok.

I've known several people to have the screens fail completely on them. These are all on Acers bought in the last year. Seems to be common judging from other posts here over that time. On the other hand, I've bought an Acer desktop this year that's been flawless.

I am going to replace my old Acer desktop with a new one as it's been flawless as well. Mind telling me which model you purchased?

Guest Reimar
You're totally wrong: HP Thailand has a huge Office at Rama IV Road, in the same Building as HBC Bank and you'll find HP/Compaq computers everywhere!

Oh, shit.

I must have been thinking of Dell.

You're vell welcome, no plomplem!!

You're quite right, and I've had no end of problems as a result.

Of course with disk and fan problems too it all makes for a <deleted> experience. The acer people refused to change the hard disk a third time, so I ended up putting new bits in myself. As I bothered to learn and look a bit deeper it turned out that acer had chosen shockingly poor components.

Although, I blame myself for listening to the missus and buying an ultra cheapo (desktop). Spend more for better quality...

For the money (under 20k) it's actually been ok.