Cyclist Killed in Pickup Truck Collision Near Pattaya

Georgealbert

IMG_4428.jpeg

Picture courtesy of medical responders

On August 15, at 06:00 a fatal road accident occurred in front of Chittaphawan Temple, on the Sukhumvit Road, Banglumung District.

Authorities received a report of a collision involving a pickup truck and a bicycle. On arrival at the scene, rescue teams found an unconscious male cyclist with no pulse and severe head injuries,  The cyclist is reported to be a 82-year-old man,

Despite the efforts of the medical responders, to administer CPR, their attempts were unsuccessful, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene. 

The pickup driver, aged 39, a security officer on his way to work, reported that he was travelling in the outside lane, when reached out to pick up something, looked up and the bicycle suddenly and without warning, cut across the lanes, attempting to get to the outside of the road, and although he tried to brake, he was unable to prevent the pickup striking the rear wheel of the bicycle and throwing the rider onto the road surface. The bicycle rider was not wearing a protective helmet, which may have prevent some of the injuries.

Police will carry out further investigations and see if any CCTV is available to determine the cause of the accident.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-15

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The bicycle rider was not wearing a protective helmet, which may have prevent some of the injuries.

The the injuries to the body from the pick up truck would be quite serious.

2 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

The the injuries to the body from the pick up truck would be quite serious.

Yes agree, but having watched the video, from the medical responders, the head injury was the most severe and ultimately life threatening.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes agree, but having watched the video, from the medical responders, the head injury was the most severe and ultimately life threatening.

Okay, I did not see the video.

3 hours ago, NowNow said:

Actually driver admitted that he took his eyes off the road....

Not all Thai`s plead innocence or blame the foreigners.

Last year I got rear ended and ended up being the meat in a sandwich at the traffic lights , eventually after we  all recovered from the shock and impact and I got out of the car by crawling out the passengers window , the driver behind us a Thai guy came towards me apologizing and saying how sorry he was but he was busy on his mobile talking to his father .

I guess being on the mobile phone whilst driving ,not wearing seat belts, no helmets being worn on motorbikes or bicycles and even up to  on a scooter 5 on a scooter , sorry nearly forgot about the driving on the wrong side of the road are all acceptable here.

RIP to the deceased .

Edited by Bravefart
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Cutting across Sukhumvit is a real challenge, even at 0630 in the morning. You can't make one mistake.

I don't think there's one bridge or tunnel to cross Sukhumvit in the Pattaya/Jomtien area but it would be a very welcome addition to pedestrians and bike riders. 

6 minutes ago, Furioso said:

Cutting across Sukhumvit is a real challenge, even at 0630 in the morning. You can't make one mistake.

I don't think there's one bridge or tunnel to cross Sukhumvit in the Pattaya/Jomtien area but it would be a very welcome addition to pedestrians and bike riders. 

There is a pedestrian opposite Soi Nerm Plubwan,. several years ago it was announced they would build one with an elevator opposite Father Ray orphanage, but I guess they lost the funds

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Presumably a cyclist should never be in the position where he's crossing multiple lanes of traffic on a big road?

it's impossible to avoid in many cases, at least if you want to get somewhere

I suspect a younger, more fit cyclist may be at less risk.   

Edited by n00dle
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

There is a pedestrian opposite Soi Nerm Plubwan,. several years ago it was announced they would build one with an elevator opposite Father Ray orphanage, but I guess they lost the funds

There is an elevator at the crossing, outside Father Rays, and has been there since the tunnel was completed.

Just now, Georgealbert said:

There is an elevator at the crossing, outside Father Rays, and has been there since the tunnel was completed.

LOl, I pass there every day, must have my eyes checked

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Presumably a cyclist should never be in the position where he's crossing multiple lanes of traffic on a big road?

Agree totally, get off and walk across is my policy.

Stand at the side waiting for a gap to get across is far safer than looking behind while on the bike .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

6am with all the drunks on the road is a dangerous time for cyclists

Anytime , really , I had some elderly guy today weaving in and out on his bike , gets into fast lane and then tries to move over not a care in the World at 2:00 pm , major thoroughfare also , I guess it beats the Flying Club lol

Edited by Irish star

10 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

IMG_4428.jpeg

Picture courtesy of medical responders

On August 15, at 06:00 a fatal road accident occurred in front of Chittaphawan Temple, on the Sukhumvit Road, Banglumung District.

I don't know where Chittaphawan Temple is located. It almost looks like the bridge over Sukhumvit is in the background. 

8 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I don't know where Chittaphawan Temple is located. It almost looks like the bridge over Sukhumvit is in the background. 

The entrance is at Soi Sukhumvit Pattaya 6, Naklua area. That is not a bridge, it is a Royal commemorative structure.

IMG_4454.jpeg

4 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

I have quite a few friends that cycle around Pattaya, I won't risk it.

It's bad enough on a motorbike, but at least you have an engine to help you get out of trouble.

Yeah, or much quicker put you in one.

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, or much quicker put you in one.

True if you are not very experienced. 

I have ridden and raced motorbikes for 50 years so I am confident that I will avoid 99% of accidents and the 1% will be minor.

On a cycle, not so.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deserted said:

Another cyclist gone. How many more are there of us left?

Not a the best choice for exercise here but it is fun.  To many emergency rooms over 20 years here and in 2015 said no more after barely surviving the last. Two crusty carbon bikes with Ultegra components sit in storage.

17 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

True if you are not very experienced. 

I have ridden and raced motorbikes for 50 years so I am confident that I will avoid 99% of accidents and the 1% will be minor.

On a cycle, not so.

Ok, that´s a fair point. However, racing a motorbike on a track, where all competitors keeps to the rules for not getting disqualified. That´s a bit far from the Thai traffic, Just a tad Mr. Safe Boy.

I have also been riding bikes for about 40 years and driving cars the same long time, but I would not even think of saying something stupid like you just did. Anyway, try to enjoy your fake safety as long as it last.

• Agree 1