Perception of Two-Tier Policing: James Cleverly Calls for Equal Treatment Across All Groups

Social Media

image.png.b7bf3bff4c6347fe54efb888b9d7a233.png

In a recent interview on The Telegraph's Daily T podcast, former Home Secretary James Cleverly emphasized the need for police forces to address concerns about two-tier policing, where different groups are perceived to be treated unequally. Cleverly’s comments come in the wake of growing accusations that right-wing protesters are subject to harsher treatment by police compared to those on the left, particularly following the riots that erupted after the tragic stabbings in Southport, where three children were killed.

Cleverly expressed that these concerns about a "differential policing response" have been raised far too many times, and it is imperative for the police to treat all groups equally, regardless of their political affiliations. "Funnily enough, when black communities in the UK said ‘we believe that the police have a differential treatment and we are the net losers in that treatment’... I believed that that’s how they felt. I didn’t turn around and say,’ no, this is confected’. I said ok, well, this is how people believe. The police needed to respond to that," Cleverly said, underscoring the importance of acknowledging and addressing the concerns of any group that feels unfairly treated by law enforcement.

He further elaborated that it is not acceptable for the police to dismiss the concerns of one group while taking the complaints of another seriously. "Now, if another group of people are saying that, I don’t think it is legitimate for the police to say ‘when this group says there’s differential policing, then we listen, we believe that they are concerned about that and we take action. But if this other group says it, we just say they’re wrong and we ignore their cries’. You have to be seen to be impartial," Cleverly stated. He emphasized that when such beliefs are so strongly held, it is not enough for authorities to simply dismiss them as incorrect. Instead, it is crucial to understand why these perceptions exist and what people are observing that leads them to these conclusions.

Cleverly’s remarks follow earlier comments made by Dame Priti Patel, a Tory leadership contender, who also voiced concerns about the perception of two-tier policing and its impact on public trust. Speaking to The Times, Patel said, “There does seem to be a perception of two-tier policing. That’s why we have to be asking important questions to the Government and on the operational side. But there is something else, and I think this is a worry, which is that of course notions of that and perceptions of that basically lead to a degree of undermining public trust and confidence in policing. That bothers me a lot – it really does.”

However, not everyone shares this concern. Neil Basu, a former head of UK counter-terrorism, criticized Patel’s comments, describing them as “divisive” and “absolute nonsense.” Despite the differing views, the discussion around two-tier policing continues to be a significant topic of debate, reflecting broader concerns about fairness and equality within law enforcement.

Cleverly also touched on the broader issue of integration in the UK, suggesting that the country needs to re-examine its approach. Reflecting on his own background, with his mother having arrived in Britain from Sierra Leone, Cleverly remarked, “For many, many decades, we were really very good at race relations and integration. Not perfect, but really very, very, very good – and that’s what we should aspire to get back to.”

He acknowledged that the scale and pace of migration, along with decisions made without proper authority, have contributed to unease within the British public. “There is definitely something about the scale and pace of migration, about the authority that is given to us by the British people and, where decisions have been made without seeking that authority, I think causes disquiet. It is complicated,” Cleverly noted, pointing to the complex challenges that lie ahead in addressing these issues.

The ongoing discourse around two-tier policing, integration, and public trust highlights the need for a more nuanced and inclusive approach to law enforcement and social cohesion in the UK. As the debate continues, it remains clear that addressing these concerns is crucial for ensuring that all communities feel equally protected and respected by the police.

Credit: Daily Telegraph  2024-08-19

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.