Farmers Dump Mangosteens On The Road To Protest Prices

sbk

Farmers dump mangosteens on road to protest fruit's price

Some 300 fruit farmers in Nakhon Si Thammarat on Monday dumped one tonne of mangosteens in front of the City Hall to protest at the fruit's price of Bt3 per kilogram, which is the lowest in many years.

The frustrated farmers called on the government to buy the fruit from them at reasonable prices.

Former senator Pichai Boonyakiet said fruit farmers in ten districts had suffered as a result of middlemen purchasing produce from them at very low prices, paying only Bt3 per kilo for mangosteens, Bt3Bt4 per kilo for rambutans, and Bt4Bt6 per kilo for durian.

The Nation

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $11 for this strange fruit — and I’d do it again!

By Gersh Kuntzman

The Brooklyn Paper

The mangosteens are here! The mangosteens are here! The mangosteens are here!

No, I’m not talking about my second cousins (they’re the Mangosteins, by the way). I’m talking about the arrival of one of the greatest fruits the world has ever known: the mangosteen.

And Brooklyn is at the center of the mangosteen revolution.

In fact, the only market in the city where you can get these extremely rare purple orbs is the Orchard, a gourmet greengrocer on Coney Island Avenue in Midwood.

If you know what a mangosteen is, I urge you to go right now (first, take out a loan).

If you don’t know what a mangosteen is, you have my pity.

snip

brooklynpaper.com

Don't show that Brooklyn article to those farmers or they may have a riot!

"She also reminded me that for the price of 90 mangosteens, I could fly to Thailand (where you can get 10 for a dollar)." :D

The article mentions "citrus hinted fruit" :o I'd say closer to a raspberry taste.

30 baht a kilo here for mangosteen, farmers get 3 baht. Too many middlemen, micro-transport, etc.

was buying them here for $3 each and they were imported from LOS

How much for the top rated logan (lumyai galok) ?

In NYC, the chinese supermakets were charging over $21/ kg ( $9.95/lb).

What's going on in LOS ?

The farmers in the North were protesting the price for lumyai at 5BT/ kg.

And the farmers in the South were doing the same since the price of mangosteen could fetch only 3BT/ kg. No way they could survive !

Department of Thai Export and Department of Arigcuture should join hands and act fast before these poor farmers face more hardship and more deeply in debts.

nobody in the power cares about the bunkrupt farmers - their land will be taken away and they will work for peanuts for the local land owner.

don't mind exporting the stuff - flog it in bangkok tenfold (3 baht in the south - 30 baht in the supermatket)