DTV Question (Odd Work Status)

Hi There,

My partner works for a company that will allow them to work remotely, so their situation is easy.

In my situation, I do short term seasonal contracting in the UK, sometimes being flown abroad for this work as a consultant.

For example, I always work OCT NOV DEC
And then MAY JUN JUL

I earn about £40,000 per year doing this, and I am employed by this company, but as I am contracting through them, techincally its zero hours, as I choose my hours/days/months. However, I always choose to work those months as they are the most lucrative.

My intention was to secure a DTV and spend quite a chunk of my downtime in Thailand with my partner, and fly back for the work then return to SEA tospend the dough!

Its almost akin to being an oil rig worker, where they spend weeks/months offshore, then return home.

Is there any way I can word this in order to get a DTV? Or is it impossible?
My work would not submit a document saying that I can work remotely, because the company as a whole does not work remotely.

I have the savings avaliable to secure a DTV and would like to spend time in Thailand during the times im not in work, and a DTV looks great.

I have an option from a friend of mine to host a website that sells their service, and to rebrand it and effectively market it for a 50% cut of the income, but that would be on a self employed basis, and I wouldnt open a Ltd company to do this, id just declare via self assessment.
If i went with this option rather than the seasonal work situation which might not pass their critera, would a copy of my website and some invoices work? I wouldnt have a portfolio, as I didnt create the code, just resell the service - How many customers would I need, I'd only be 2-5 customers deep bringing in about 200 a month at the point of leaving.

Am I screwed for a DTV?

If someone could offer any advice that would be great! :)

Thanks

55 minutes ago, bl007 said:

For example, I always work OCT NOV DEC
And then MAY JUN JUL

Seems you are wishing to spend 6 months (two 3 month stints) in Thailand.

Thinking you don't need a DTV. 

JAN FEB MARCH APRIL is four, AUG SEPT is two.

Id just like to go there, and relax without border runs or extentions.

I looked at an METV, but id have to get one each year, and have the timing right and also then border run.
We may even stay a bit longer as my job is flexible and the cost of living is less in thailand - having a DTV means less paperwork, smaller fees, and less headache.

Im just not sure if I am applicable in anyway.

I read up on the soft powers, id certainly enroll on a cooking course or something - but i havent seen any success with that yet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I obtained a DTV from London a few weeks ago.  I simply wrote a letter using  Limited Company heading with the title 'Confirmation of Employment'.  I just stated that I had been an employee of the company since xx.xx.20xx and then signed it. Nothing mentioned about remote working, hours, pay etc.  Keep it simple.

• Like 1

I work offshore half the year and live in Thailand when not working.  Having a proper long-stay visa like the DTV is a huge benefit.  For example,  landlords will be more receptive to renting to you.  It'll be easier to get a bank account, driver license and an auto.  For US persons a solid visa is a de facto requirement to claim tax breaks like the FEIE.       

For the DTV, I would advise you NOT to apply under work-cation/freelancer status.  Even if you could get an employer letter approving remote work, The risk is that the person evaluating your visa application may correctly determine that you are not actually going to be working in Thailand and deny you on that basis.    Instead, apply under whichever of the soft power categories is most interesting to you.   The bar for qualifying seems to be very low for all of them.        

• Like 2