Refrigerant Cylinder Explosion in Sriracha

Georgealbert

IMG_4611.jpeg

Picture courtesy of the Sawang Prateep Sriracha volunteer rescue team.

At 20:41 on August 19, the Sawang Prateep Sriracha Rescue Center received a report of a person injured by an air conditioner refrigerant cylinder explosion near Soi 11, Ao Udom, Sriracha District, Chonburi.

The Sawang Prateep Sriracha Rescue Center promptly dispatched emergency operations team and an ambulance, along with volunteers, to the scene. Upon arrival, they found one male victim with a severe wound on his left shin. It was determined that the explosion was from a R134a refrigerant cylinder, which is assumed is likely to have built up pressure due to accumulated heat or suffered some form of shock damage, leading to the explosion.

The rescue team provided first aid on-site before transporting the injured man to Laem Chabang Hospital for further treatment.

An incident will be investigated by the relevant authorities.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-20

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

R134a isn’t a very high pressure refrigerant. Maybe 100- 125 psig at ambient. Cylinder would be designed for around 200 psig or higher. 

Doesn't take much carbon steel to contain that pressure.

Propane cylinders ( cooking gas) are about 175-200 psig at ambient and not in the sun. Design pressure is probably around 250 - 300 psig.

my guess would be external corrosion on weld seam ( picture seems to show some corrosion ) plus getting dropped on something pointy.

Edited by degrub
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, johng said:

looks rather painful..sympathies to the airconditioning techie.

The metal the canister is made from looks a bit thin ?

I just replaced my old cooking gas cylinder yesterday at a cost of about 2100 baht, filled. I wonder if there are any regulations wrt the people who refill these cylinders, they do look less substantial.