Thapae Gate Fenced Off

lamphun

I drove past Thapae gate tonight and was surprised to see that the gate and the open area in front have all been surrounded by a two meter high green corrugated metal wall. I couldn't see any signs.

Anybody know what's going on ?

Chiang Mai got a new mayor a while ago - she likes planting trees. (Have already had about 50 planted in my street (Ratchapakinai).

But has she been sworn in as major yet ?? I think not, she has just been exposed for not paying taxes for X amount of years. Shame though, she was pretty.. Hopefully it will be overturned soon. But the Ni Sem Sing (or whatever) crew do have some heavyweight clout, so she will have her work cut out. ...My 2 cents.. :o

I heard it had been sold to Beer Chang people :o

No seriously, they have torn up the paving so I guess going to replace it .

I think you will find Chiang mai has no official mayor at the moment its all a bit in limbo.

It has to go through the courts first. So as to who is giving directives at the moment - who knows?

The story I have heard from Thai friends is that not only is Thapae Gate to be relaid but the whole of Walking Street over the next few months. Apparently it has caused some consternation among Sunday traders as the market will be closed for several months.

Not sure of the veracity of this it is just a rumour.

The story I have heard from Thai friends is that not only is Thapae Gate to be relaid but the whole of Walking Street over the next few months. Apparently it has caused some consternation among Sunday traders as the market will be closed for several months.

I here that some officials were visiting businesses on Ratchaithi asking how they felt about moving Sunday market there while they worked on walking street.

The Sunday market stall ( owners???) staged a protest in the past few days against the above mentioned street work. The Chiang Mai, powers that be, say they must adress the traffic problems thoughtout the city. Get the Saturday and Sunday markets off of the streets, no parking anytime on feeder streets to inner city, and no double parking, would go a long way in moving traffic along. But maybe all of this is in their grand plan along with removing flood threat during the rainey season.

Not sure of the veracity of this it is just a rumour.

Heard the same rumour through Thai family and also, re earlier mention of the new mayor, a rumour/piece of news that there were some concerns about the validity of the election . . . . ?

JxP

Husband reckons its because they are scared of poss. protests at election of new constitution.

I tend to agree.

Ripping up a few paving stones hardly warrants a big fence around it.

Hmm... that's a really good point right there. They repair highways without any warnings or protections in this country so a large wall for pavement work is absurdly excessive.

I was walking over this square just a day before the walls went up, thinking to myself how nice it looked. It's not like CM has an abundance of nice public spaces. Too bad :o

I was sure when I saw the high fences, etc., that it was the construction site for the new 5-story Gecko Books multimedia shopping complex.... :o

According to rumour at Tuskers and the timestamp on your post you are very late for this fortnight's RAW event!

JxP

I was sure when I saw the high fences, etc., that it was the construction site for the new 5-story Gecko Books multimedia shopping complex.... :o

gecko is still waiting for a second hand building there. its not going to work !!!!.