Heavy Rains, Flash Floods Warning In 15 Provinces

george

Heavy rains, flash floods warning in 15 provinces

BANGKOK: -- The Meteorological Friday morning warned residents of 15 provinces to brace themselves against heavy rains and flash floods.

In its morning forecast issued at 4:30 am, the department said a depression storm, which was about 350 kilometres east of Vietnam, would influence the heavy rains in the 15 provinces Friday and Saturday.

The provinces are Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Tak, Khamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Ubol Ratchathani, Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Ratchaburi, Ranong, Phang Nga and Trang.

The department also warned small fishing boats against going to the sea from Friday to Monday.

-- The Nation 2007-08-03

anyone know who to call or who to visit to get sandbags for a house in the klong toey district near emporium area? i was told the local government would supply sandbags if contacted. any answers....please reply.

just go to the closest thai building supply,,im sure they are there filling bags right now,,,or ask ur local win motorcye guy where to get close,,,

Edited by davidss1

i need more information about my district office location. i know i can go to a store to get sand. i am trying to get it from my local government and have it delivered before the next flood. anyone know about sandbags from klong toey district office? or their number?

These are photos of my parents in law`s house and other family, Chiang Mai, 2 years ago.

It took almost a year for them to recover, many in that area lost everything.

Hope there isnt going to be any more serious flooding.

post-40525-1186121953_thumb.jpg

post-40525-1186121980_thumb.jpg

post-40525-1186122003_thumb.jpg

post-40525-1186122022_thumb.jpg

Edited by distortedlink

These are photos of my parents in law`s house and other family, Chiang Mai, 2 years ago.

No; that's no fun :o . What part of CM is that ?

Been flooded about 5 times in the last 10 years. Som nam na. You need to ensure your house is raised enough so you dont get flooded. Good rule of thumb is to raise the house to the same level as local roads. Thailand will always have flooding; just learn to live with it.

anyone know who to call or who to visit to get sandbags for a house in the klong toey district near emporium area? i was told the local government would supply sandbags if contacted. any answers....please reply.

Plenty of sandbags working at local 'Big C', I'm sure they could help out if floods get a bit 'out of hand'...

No; that's no fun :o . What part of CM is that ?

Nongprakrang. Not far from Chiang Mai Railway Station.

Been flooded about 5 times in the last 10 years. Som nam na. You need to ensure your house is raised enough so you dont get flooded. Good rule of thumb is to raise the house to the same level as local roads. Thailand will always have flooding; just learn to live with it.

Quite right Mai Chai. I'm sure no one would have built without looking around the first! would they?

jb1 :o

Well there you go; thats why they call it experience because you learn from your mistakes. If you are clever you learn from other peoples mistakes and dont make them yourself! Anyone listening... :o

Actually building to the height of the roads is good sense; they design them so people can get around when its flooded (guess they have had plenty of experience of rebuilding them to know; I mean flood/ruined road/rebuild/flood/etc). Mind u if you make the roads too good you cant make money out of graft by rebuilding them, so they dont build them really well :D The country would grind to a halt if all the roads were flooded so I guess it a balance between downright graft and roads lasting a couple of years. I have seen so many roads that only last a couple of years before they need resurfacing. TiT

Someone else asked about a road trip holiday? Same rules apply; you will be able to get around ok if you use the main roads. Helps if you have a raised pickup (just in case). The Thais are cleverer than some give credit for :D

Wonder how I can get those government contracts for rebuilding flood damaged roads :D

Edited by MaiChai

why do you think they built their houses on stilts??? :o

Heavy rains, flash floods warning in 15 provinces

BANGKOK: -- The Meteorological Friday morning warned residents of 15 provinces to brace themselves against heavy rains and flash floods.

In its morning forecast issued at 4:30 am, the department said a depression storm, which was about 350 kilometres east of Vietnam, would influence the heavy rains in the 15 provinces Friday and Saturday.

The provinces are Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Tak, Khamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Ubol Ratchathani, Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Ratchaburi, Ranong, Phang Nga and Trang.

The department also warned small fishing boats against going to the sea from Friday to Monday.

-- The Nation 2007-08-03

taxexile: Thanks for posting that map from Weather Underground. I had been looking for a source of such maps, and now have bookmarked the page on wunderground.com.

One thing I just learned, though, is that I have always misinterpreted those tropical storm maps. I thought the increasingly large circles progressing from the current point represented the projected range of areas to be affected by the storm. However, those circles are simply the range of locations predicted for the CENTER of the storm. So, as in the following map, if the center were over the Isaan area, the entire east (and north and/or center?) of Thailand could experience the storm. However, the center of the storm may veer as far away as the center of Hainan Island.

post-33251-1186311484_thumb.jpg

North, Northeast and East face torrential rain

At 04:00 hours today (August 7th), the Meteorological Department of Thailand has reported that a tropical depression in the South China Sea, centered at Lat 18.0 °N, Long 108.5 °E, or 250 kilometers north of Da Nang in Vietnam, with a maximum sustained wind of 55 kilometers per hour, is moving northwest slowly. The strong southwest monsoon over the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand gives torrential rain in places of the North, Northeast and East.

People in these areas mainly of Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phetchabun, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen, Ubon Ratchathani, Sisaket, Surin, Chanthaburi and Trat provinces should beware of flooding conditions during this period. Besides, strong winds and hig waves of about two to three meters can be expected in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats in the Andaman Sea keep ashore during August 7th to 8th.

Bangkok metropolis and vicinity will likely experience cloudy weather with scattered thundershowers. The minimum temperature will be 26 degrees Celsius while the maximum temperature will be 33 degrees Celsius. The speed of southwesterly winds will be around 15 to 35 kilometers per hour.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 August 2007

It's raining maew and maa at moment in Khon Kaen and I guess most of central Isaan. Everything is saturated, so all rain now is heading for the rivers, so expect some rapid rises of Nam Mun and Chee over next 24 hours or so. Just what the doctor ordered, as it's been a dry year up to now, and I love a good flood in season. Get your fish nets and traps, cos the plachon and pla maw, will be traveling across your sois and gardens today. :o

And watch out for snakes coming in out the rain for a bit of shelter! :D

So was there any real rain to be had, in the lower northeastern areas - Surin, Sisaket & Ubon Ratchathani, its hard to get any real info

Hi jbl.

I have been in constsnt communication with g/f since post. She tells me no signifagant rain in Chumphung. (Khorat) They are getting desperate.

So was there any real rain to be had, in the lower northeastern areas - Surin, Sisaket & Ubon Ratchathani, its hard to get any real info

Hi jbl.

I have been in constsnt communication with g/f since post. She tells me no signifagant rain in Chumphung. (Khorat) They are getting desperate.

thanks I have family right across lower Issan from Phi Mai to Ubon Ratchathani and any news is welcomed

Torrential rain in North and Northeast

At 04:00 hours today (August 8th), the Meteorological Department of Thailand reported that a tropical depression made landfall in Vietnam last night. It was centered at Lat 18.0 °N, Long 104.0 °E in Nong Khai province of Thailand, with maximum sustained winds of 50 kilometers per hour. It is moving westwards slowly.

The strong southwest monsoon over the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand brings torrential rain in places of the North and Northeast. People in these areas mainly of Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Loei, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Kalasin, Roi Et and Maha Sarakham provinces should beware of flooding conditions during this period while flooding will affect in the eastern provinces of the North, such as Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun by tomorrow.

Besides, strong winds and high waves of about two to three meters in height are likely in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats in the Andaman Sea should stay ashore during this period.

Meanwhile, Bangkok metropolis and vicinity are expected to experience very cloudy skies with scattered thundershowers and windy condition. The minimum temperature will be 25 degrees Celsius while the maximum temperature will be 32 degrees Celsius. The speed of southwesterly winds will be around 15 to 35 kilometers per hour.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 August 2007

I guess my wife and I are in a good area of Loei. The valley here we live in is over a thousand feet above sea level and there are no rivers in the area. I have seen no flooding in about four years here.

Flood hits Ubon Ratchathani

More than 4,000 homes in Ubon Ratchathani province is under water following days of continued heavy rainfall triggered by a tropical depression.

Floods struck altogether nine districts causing damage to seven villages. Most locals in the area have had to evacuate their homes after floodwaters started to seep through.

More from the Bangkok Post here.