Help Needed With A Vista Problem

geronimo

I am running XP Vista and everything was fine until I installed an old nero version. When I opened up nero, it said I had no cd drives. (I have a dvd and a cd drive and it couldn't find either). So I uninstyalled nero and after a boot up, both my cd drives are not recognised. They are in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark saying that the registry is either incomplete or damaged. I tried uninstalling them and rebooting and while windows finds the new hardware it is still in the same condition. I went to system restore but that is turned off by default (which I think is a mistake!) so I can't restore to an earlier time. I found registry edit but I know f*** all about going into there. Can anyone advise? I'd prefer to avoid a format and reinstall if poss as I just had to do that once already only the other day.

Any advice appreciated

:o

I am running XP Vista and everything was fine until I installed an old nero version. When I opened up nero, it said I had no cd drives. (I have a dvd and a cd drive and it couldn't find either). So I uninstyalled nero and after a boot up, both my cd drives are not recognised. They are in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark saying that the registry is either incomplete or damaged. I tried uninstalling them and rebooting and while windows finds the new hardware it is still in the same condition. I went to system restore but that is turned off by default (which I think is a mistake!) so I can't restore to an earlier time. I found registry edit but I know f*** all about going into there. Can anyone advise? I'd prefer to avoid a format and reinstall if poss as I just had to do that once already only the other day.

Any advice appreciated

:D

I have a trial version of registry mechanic in the vista edition and I ran a reg scan and I think it found the probs ..... however it won't fix them unless I register and buy the program. I have a copy of reg mechanic on CD but of course I can't install it as I don't have access to any cd rom drives!!!

Also I have just realised that I cannot format and re install as I can't get the vista cd to boot!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!! :o

Any advice appreciated

:D

I have a trial version of registry mechanic in the vista edition and I ran a reg scan and I think it found the probs ..... however it won't fix them unless I register and buy the program. I have a copy of reg mechanic on CD but of course I can't install it as I don't have access to any cd rom drives!!!

Also I have just realised that I cannot format and re install as I can't get the vista cd to boot!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!! :o

Well I managed to format and reinstall everything

Thanks for the many offers of help on this one

I would have thought someone out there might have been able to help ... Whatever

Nobody owes you immediate service here, we all get busy. You should have been a bit more patient or done a web search (Google or Yahoo would have given you the solution in seconds). This is something that a simple system restore could have handled in two minutes.

Edited by cdnvic

Guest Reimar

The minimum need is Nero 7.7.5 Essential for Vista. If you have a older Neroversion with Serial Key, you can download the latest version 1.10.x from the web and install it. But be aware, its more than 300 MB!

Anyway as cndvic wrote: be a bit more patient! Let say: Rome isn't build i one day that have need a long time but bruned dow fast!

The minimum need is Nero 7.7.5 Essential for Vista. If you have a older Neroversion with Serial Key, you can download the latest version 1.10.x from the web and install it. But be aware, its more than 300 MB!

Anyway as cndvic wrote: be a bit more patient! Let say: Rome isn't build i one day that have need a long time but bruned dow fast!

Sorry guys, will be patient in the future.

One more thing. The thread's subject line, "Help Needed With A Vista Problem" is more than a bit vague. And the issue was not a Vista problem. More like a Nero compatibility issue.

Think of someone doing a search of this forum in the future. Now imagine looking at the index of an archive of questions, with just the subject lines showing. Make your subject line reflect your question well enough that the next guy searching the archive with a question similar to yours will be able to follow the thread to an answer rather than posting the question again.

Oh, Rice_King, how I so very much agree with you. In the main visa forum so often folks post a title like "HELP!" or "Help needed ... urgent" and you just wonder whether to bother downloading the thread, because so often it's not something you know anything about. This forum is particularly nice in that you get two lines of info that can be displayed on the forum thread list, if only it were properly used.

Oh, Rice_King, how I so very much agree with you. In the main visa forum so often folks post a title like "HELP!" or "Help needed ... urgent" and you just wonder whether to bother downloading the thread, because so often it's not something you know anything about. This forum is particularly nice in that you get two lines of info that can be displayed on the forum thread list, if only it were properly used.

Ask Questions The Smart Way

I plagiarized most of this from other forums. (So sue me!)

• Use meaningful, specific subject headers
    The subject header is your golden opportunity to attract qualified experts' attention in around 50 characters or fewer. Don't waste it on babble like “Please help me” (let alone “PLEASE HELP ME!!!!”; messages with subjects like that get discarded by reflex). Don't try to impress us with the depth of your anguish; use the space for a super-concise problem description instead.
    One good convention for subject headers, used by many tech support organizations, is “object - deviation”. The “object” part specifies what thing or group of things is having a problem, and the “deviation” part describes the deviation from expected behavior.
    Stupid: HELP! Video doesn't work properly on my laptop!
    Smart: X.org 6.8.1 misshapen mouse cursor, Fooware MV1005 vid. chipset
    Smarter: X.org 6.8.1 mouse cursor on Fooware MV1005 vid. chipset - is misshapen
    A hacker who sees the result can immediately understand what it is that you are having a problem with and the problem you are having, at a glance.
    More generally, imagine looking at the index of an archive of questions, with just the subject lines showing. Make your subject line reflect your question well enough that the next guy searching the archive with a question similar to yours will be able to follow the thread to an answer rather than posting the question again.
  • Before You Ask
    Before asking a technical question, do the following:
    1. Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.
    2. Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
    3. Try to find an answer by reading the manual.
    4. Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
    5. Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
  • Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language
    Spend the extra effort to polish your language. It doesn't have to be stiff or formal but it has to be precise; there has to be some indication that you're thinking and paying attention.
  • Be precise and informative about your problem
    * Describe the symptoms of your problem or bug carefully and clearly.
    * Describe the environment in which it occurs (machine, OS, application, whatever).
    * Describe the research you did to try and understand the problem before you asked the question.
    * Describe the diagnostic steps you took to try and pin down the problem yourself before you asked the question.
    * Describe any possibly relevant recent changes in your computer or software configuration.
  • Describe the problem's symptoms, not your guesses
    It's not useful to tell the forum what you think is causing your problem. (If your diagnostic theories were such hot stuff, would you be consulting others for help?) So, make sure you're telling them the raw symptoms of what goes wrong, rather than your interpretations and theories. Let them do the interpretation and diagnosis. If you feel it's important to state your guess, clearly label it as such and describe why that answer isn't working for you.
  • Describe your problem's symptoms in chronological order
    The clues most useful in figuring out something that went wrong often lie in the events immediately prior. So, your account should describe precisely what you did, and what the machine did, leading up to the blowup.
  • Describe the goal, not the step
    If you are trying to find out how to do something (as opposed to reporting a bug), begin by describing the goal. Only then describe the particular step towards it that you are blocked on.
    Often, people who need technical help have a high-level goal in mind and get stuck on what they think is one particular path towards the goal. They come for help with the step, but don't realize that the path is wrong. It can take substantial effort to get past this.
    Stupid: How do I get the color-picker on the FooDraw program to take a hexadecimal RGB value?
    Smart: I'm trying to replace the color table on an image with values of my choosing. Right now the only way I can see to do this is by editing each table slot, but I can't get FooDraw's color picker to take a hexadecimal RGB value.
    The second version of the question is smart. It allows an answer that suggests a tool better suited to the task.
  • Don't (ask people to) reply by private e-mail
    Solving problems should be a public, transparent process during which a first try at an answer can and should be corrected if someone more knowledgeable notices that it is incomplete or incorrect. Also, helpers get some of their reward for being respondents from being seen to be competent and knowledgeable by their peers. When you ask for a private reply, you are disrupting both the process and the reward. Don't do this. It's the respondent's choice whether to reply privately — and if he does, it's usually because he thinks the question is too ill-formed or obvious to be interesting to others.
  • Follow up with a brief note on the solution
    The reply should be to the thread started by the original question posting, and should have ‘FIXED’, ‘RESOLVED’ in the post.