Antibiotics and cortisone

stubuzz

I have just had a cortisone shot in the shoulder and the doctor said i have to take a course of antibiotics as a precaution. I would prefer not to take them. What do you think?

Edited by stubuzz

3 hours ago, stubuzz said:

I have just had a cortisone shot in the shoulder and the doctor said i have to take a course of antibiotics as a precaution. I would prefer not to take them. What do you think?

I wouldn't have wanted cortisone in the first place. 

And I would not have an invasive procedure done by someone who doesn't trust his own sterility. 

But some doctors wouldn't tell you before (I once had this experience,  and paid the price).

But anyway: the person who knows best how sterile his work was done,  is the doctor who did it. So I would follow his advice.

There are 2 issues: one is possible infection from the injection procedure (see post above) and the other is that steroids can worsen a pre-existing infectious process  if there was one.  Both concerns suggest possible provider side issues (techinique and diagnosis, respectively).

For now, follow the doctor's advise.

If any future issue see an ortho specifically  specializing in shoulder issues. Where in Thailand are you located?

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Both concerns suggest possible provider side issues (techinique and diagnosis, respectively).

The MRI and initial consultation was done here in Saudi Arabia through the company insurance. I had the result checked and confirmed while i was at home in Chachoengsao last month.

I have 2 small de-lamination tears in the rotator muscles (no surgery needed) and inflamed bursa and thickened capsule. NSAIDS did not stop the pain and inflammation, so a cortisone shot was given. This, with physiotherapy helped a lot.

However, 4 months later pain and stiffness returned and i was just given a second cortisone shot in the shoulder as well as a 10 day supply of Levofloxacin 500mg.

Is a 10 day course overkill?

Edited by stubuzz

2 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

The MRI and initial consultation was done here in Saudi Arabia through the company insurance. I had the result checked and confirmed while i was at home in Chachoengsao last month.

I have 2 small de-lamination tears in the rotator muscles (no surgery needed) and inflamed bursa and thickened capsule. NSAIDS did not stop the pain and inflammation, so a cortisone shot was given. This, with physiotherapy helped a lot.

However, 4 months later pain and stiffness returned and i was just given a second cortisone shot in the shoulder as well as a 10 day supply of Levofloxacin 500mg.

Is a 10 day course overkill?

10 day course is normal duration for antibiotic treatment. As to the need for it at all, see my prior reply.

If in Thailand  now, or if in Thailand in future and problome has nto resolved, this is the best doctor to see

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/mason-porramatikul

• Agree 1