Pope Francis Praises Large Families in Indonesia

Social Media

image.png

During his visit to Indonesia, Pope Francis addressed a topic that has sparked significant debate, particularly in U.S. political circles, by praising those who prioritize having children over pets. Speaking at the presidential palace, the Pope criticized the lack of commitment to social justice in certain countries, which he argued has left many people struggling to support themselves and, consequently, limiting their ability to raise families. "As a result, a considerable part of humanity is left on the margins, without the means for a dignified existence and no defense against the serious and growing social imbalances that trigger acute conflicts," Francis said.

The Pope observed that, in response to these challenges, many people choose to have fewer children. However, he praised Indonesians for embracing larger families, highlighting their example as a model for other nations. "How is this often resolved? With a law of death, that is by limiting births, limiting the greatest richness that a nation can have, its births," Francis stated. He continued by praising the average Indonesian family size, saying, "Your country, meanwhile, has families with three, four, and five children. This is seen in the average age of the nation. Keep going like this. It is an example for all countries."

In a lighter yet pointed remark, the Pope criticized the growing trend of choosing pets over children. "It may seem funny that perhaps some families prefer to have a cat or a small dog, and not a child, but this is not right," he noted. The remarks were part of the Pope’s broader message as he began his 11-day trip, the longest of his pontificate, where he also met with Indonesian clergy and leaders.

Pope Francis has made similar comments in the past. In 2022, he described the choice to have pets instead of children as "a form of selfishness." Last year, he joined Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni in encouraging Italians to have more children instead of pets. The topic recently resurfaced in the U.S. following the circulation of a 2021 video of Ohio Senator JD Vance, the GOP vice-presidential nominee, who criticized the influence of what he called "childless cat ladies" on American politics. Vance remarked, "It’s just a basic fact — you look at Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, AOC — the entire future of the Democrats is controlled by people without children. And how does it make any sense that we’ve turned our country over to people who don’t really have a direct stake in it?"

Vice President Harris, who has two stepchildren, and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, who has adopted twins with his husband, were among those targeted by Vance's comments. Vance later referred to his remarks as "sarcasm," though he maintained that parenthood profoundly alters one’s perspective. In response, Harris’s campaign began selling merchandise with the slogans "Proud member of the Childless Cat Ladies Club" and "Childless Cat Ladies for Kamala."

Credit: The Hill 2024-09-06

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

He's another idiot with outdated views that doesn't know what is going on in the world.

Better, he goes back to his bubble in The Vatican and prays to his fantasy god.

• Agree 1

Like Elon Musk, this guy is incredibly ignorant for making a statement like that knowing all the problems that the world is facing. And I am don't want to sound racist, because I'm not racist, but 21 out of 22 countries in the world that have the highest birth rates are Muslim nations, so the last thing he should be doing is encouraging Muslims to have more kids. 

This is not a great time to be bringing children into the world, and people are wising up. I don't think they're going to be able to reverse that trend. And it's a good thing overall, though some pain will be felt, no doubt. World population needs to drop. 

Well what might appear to be an empty lifestyle to some, is bordering on paradise to many millions of us. Though I like kids, I've never had the desire to own any. One hour with one is plenty. It's a personal choice, we all have to make these kind of decisions. 98% choose to go the conventional route and have children. For me children were never an option. And I'm infinitely thankful for that. 

The best thing that's happening to the world right now is countries like China and Japan just saying no to children. I do not think children are that special, they're not really needed, they are way over rated, and thankfully it's a choice these days and not compulsory. A lot of people are saying no, I don't need the headaches, I don't need the nonsense, I don't need the expense, I don't need the responsibility, and the planet does not need any other kid. 

Nah, I choose to have a great life, I don't need kids. I did that and it was the wisest and smartest decision of this lifetime. I don't miss not having kids for a nanosecond.

Edited by spidermike007