U.s.a. Customs & Immigration

The wife and myself are going back to the states next month for a few weeks. I have a couple of questions.

1. What are the chances of the U.S. Custom agents searching my suitcase and confiscating knock-off designer products like a couple of watches, wallets, belts, etc.

2. Can my Thai wife clear immigration with me, or does she have to go through the foreigner line.

Sorry if redundant, but I’d like some feed back from members with recent experiences.

Many thanks,

-O

Customs is separate from Immigration, you have to clear Immigration separately but can then claim your luggage together and go through Customs together.

You don't say where you are flying into but I have only ever had my luggage searched at one airport; Denver. Although supposedly an International Airport, Customs there clearly assumes everyone coming from Thailand is carrying drugs as the only people on my Korean air flight to get searched were me and the two Thai guys with US passports. Koreans sailed on through.

On all my yearly trips back, I have never been searched at any of the big west coast airports.

Worth a try, we never did tho. One thing, if you do go separately, make sure that she has her own customs declaration form, my hubby got some really anal Immigration officer that insisted he have his own regardless of the fact that it says clearly "one per family" .

On my last trip back (about four years ago) they had changed the rules and unless holding a green card foreigners must use foreign lines for processing (this was Seattle). Previous years we were told to use US line so had to backtrack. Believe you can both use the foreign line without a problem if you want to stay together.

The wife and myself are going back to the states next month for a few weeks. I have a couple of questions.

1. What are the chances of the U.S. Custom agents searching my suitcase and confiscating knock-off designer products like a couple of watches, wallets, belts, etc.

2. Can my Thai wife clear immigration with me, or does she have to go through the foreigner line.

Sorry if redundant, but I’d like some feed back from members with recent experiences.

Many thanks,

-O

Are you really talking about "a couple" of watches and other products, or are you going to fill a suitcase with the stuff? I don't know US Customs regulations, but I imagine it's pretty much the same as UK, where you are allowed up to about £150's worth of goods purchased abroad duty free - whether or not they're designer knock-offs is irrelevant if it's a small quantity for personal use.

If you've got more than a small quantity then expect grief. They can either stick you for a fair amount of duty, or, if they are designer fakes they could probably just confiscate them under threat of prosecution if you don't surrender them, or if they're in a bad mood they could prosecute you anyway.

I would imagine your country's regulations are easily accessible online. If you want to take the risk, "Up to you"

Those copies are technically illegal to import, even small quantities. If found, I don't know if they would ignore, seize, or charge you with a crime. They certainly know that Thailand is a major hub of IP and trademark violations. Also, technically, you are supposed to declare the value of imports, even contraband. Happy travels ...

Sorry if redundant, but I'd like some feed back from members with recent experiences.

Many thanks,

-O

:o U.S. customs/immigration can be really anal at times. Depends on who you get, and whether he/she got laid before they came on shift. You never know what their mood will be.

I have seen immigration before refusing to let a husband accompany his wife through the line, even when he tried to explain that his wife's English was limited and he wanted to help her answer the questions. The immigration response was: if she can't speak English well enough, she shouldn't be comimg to the country anyhow. Your wife will probably have to go thru the foriegners line.

Other times you will get helpful and nice people. You just can't tell ahead of time.

Technically they are supposed to confiscate any of those knock-off designer items (trade mark restrictions and copyright protection). Maybe they will confiscate, but if you only have a few they may pretend to not notice or just ignore it.

Good luck, hope you find a good inspector in a nice mood.

:D

I've gone through San Francisco after returning from Thailand 6 times. They only searched my luggage once - the time I actually declared that I had bought suits and had receipts to show them. After they deducted the US$800 I was allowed (as everyone is), and computed the tax, I paid the princely sum of $8.00.

Knockoff items could cause you problems. As another poster pointed out, they're supposed to confiscate them.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation..._restricted.xml

Trademarked and Copyrighted Articles

CBP enforces laws relating to the protection of trademarks and copyrights. Articles that infringe a federally registered trademark or copyright or copyright protected by the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works are subject to detention and/or seizure. Infringing articles may consist of articles that use a protected right without the authorization of the trademark or copyright owner or articles that copy or simulate a protected right.

Articles bearing marks that are counterfeit or inappropriately using a federally registered trademark are subject to seizure and forfeiture.The importation of articles intended for sale or public distribution bearing counterfeit marks may subject an individual to a civil fine if the registered trademark has also been recorded with CBP. Articles bearing marks that are confusingly similar to a CBP recorded registered trademark , and restricted gray market articles (goods bearing genuine marks not intended for U.S. importation for which CBP granted gray market protection) are subject to detention and seizure.

However, travelers arriving in the United States may be permitted an exemption and allowed to import one article of each type, which must accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar or restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal use and is not for sale.

This exemption may be granted not more than once every 30 days. The arriving passenger may retain one article of each type accompanying the person. For example, an arriving person who has three purses, whether each bears a different infringing trademark, or whether all three bear the same infringing trademark, is permitted only one purse. If the article imported under the personal exemption provision is sold within one year after the date of importation, the article or its value is subject to forfeiture.

In regard to copyright infringement, articles that are determined by CBP to be clearly piratical of a protected copyright, i.e., unauthorized articles that are substantially similar to a material protected by a copyright, are subject to seizure. A personal use exemption for articles, similar to that described above also applies to copyrighted articles for the personal, non-commercial use of the importer and are not for sale or distribution.

You may bring back genuine trademarked and copyrighted articles (subject to duties). Products subject to copyright protection most commonly imported include software on CD-ROMs, sound recordings, toys, stuffed animals, clothing with cartoon characters, videotapes, DVDs, music CDs, and books. Products subject to trademark protection most commonly imported include handbags and accessories, and clothing.

#2, not able to help

#1, you are required to declare anything of value bought outside the country and being brought into the US, as others have suggested, you likely won't have an issue with a one-off of something, but you should be prepared to declare anything and everything in accordance with the customs form, getting caught being untruthful whether for something minor or major, could potentially really ruin your day, I wouldn't recommend bringing in anything for which you aren't prepared to give full disclosure

Here is a link to the actual customs declaration form:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation...ration_form.xml

I would highly recommend reading and understanding it thoroughly before making any decision on what you may or may not want to bring and/or declare.

As far as baggage searches go, you should expect that someone from behind the scenes will have gone through your luggage covertly even before you arrive with it at the customs officer podium. I'm a US citizen but have spent only a couple dozen days in the US during the last several years. Each time, and I do mean every time, that I return to the US and open up my bag for the first time in my hotel, the first thing I see is the nice little paper reminder from Homeland Security saying that my bag has been opened and searched. Such is the price of freedom and security these days.

I find that my bags have been through the mill every time I return from Thailand. I usually have one entire large bag with assorted gifts for friends and family...including knockoffs.

I carefully fill out my customs declaration....writing "gifts" for any items I may have forgotten.

I never had a problem, other than broken items due to poor handling by security personnel.

If you fit a profile, you are likely to be searched. However never been searched at any my flights to/from yankland. One time I was amazingly enough at Stansted. Told my mate to carry on and ignore dutyman as we are coming back from prague. My mate says hello to them - taking the piss and they pull us both to the side. :o

Edited by britmaveric

1. The poster is not a US Resident. He has no $800 exemption.

2. The poster does not have to declare anything that will not remain in the US at the end of his visit.

Mr. L, regarding point 2. If you are US citizen returning to the US for a visit only, then you only have to declare what will remain in the US (such as a gift) and nothing else?

met a guy last yr here in pattaya. hes a fake watch freak. got busted w/ only about three watches - said the customs guys were really <deleted> him over but was not fined or jailed in the end. on later trip said that he was not searched (comes 1x year).

thru l.a i was searched about 30% of the time. basically a chat while they dig around a bit for a few minutes trying to judge if im uneasy. never found anything.

i think the trick would be to take one of something and just a few in total.

youll not have any problem w/ clothing imo. you dont have to decalre suits, thats silly. unless you are taking in like 10.

ps: for the people that actually buy the real stuff - that crap wont fool them for a second. but i guess youll be down with the white trash tweakers and ghetto ho's.

Edited by theseveredhead

Many thanks,

-O

i'm been searched and knock off items found (DVDs) at least once and they never said anythong about it. only a handful of items however, not commmercial quantity.

many years ago it was ok for no US wife to follow you through US channel but not sure now.

Those copies are technically illegal to import, even small quantities. If found, I don't know if they would ignore, seize, or charge you with a crime. They certainly know that Thailand is a major hub of IP and trademark violations. Also, technically, you are supposed to declare the value of imports, even contraband. Happy travels ...

I am an attorney, and have made 14 or 15 trips through LAX from Thailand. I have always declared my souvenir watches and Cds (although I do not go into a lot of detail on the description or quantity) and provided an estimated value. I was searched one time (although I think it was because I was standing between two guys who were acting strangely that were also searched). The customs officer commented that the Tag Hauer knock-off looked real but the Rolex looked fake, and put them back in my bag. Simply declare that you have souvenir watches and other goods valued under the limits on the form.

Customs is not likely to confiscate the watches unless you have a large quantity for resale. Nor are you risking criminal charges if customs does decide to take issue with your declaration which is truthful (the bigger risk is an untruthful declaration since the forms are signed under penalty of perjury). Possession of such goods under a certain value would be an infraction as opposed to a misdemeanor or felony. At most, the watches might be confiscated but again this is highly unlikely as it requires more paperwork then would be justified by such a small seizure. Customs’ mission is to seize large quantities of infringing products as opposed to an individual's souvenirs. Indeed, on any given flight there are dozens of passengers carrying the same type of souvenirs, and if customs started citing everyone it would overwhelm the system. Good luck.

I entered LAX a few weeks ago. I had PR status and my wife had a tourist visa, but I made her come with me through the resident/ citizen line. The officer processed us both, no problem. I had been out for a few years so the immi officer (Chinese/ Yank) took me to a little room for four hours while they cancelled my green card but I still got the visa waiver entry being a skippy. I had a shit load of knock off goods, shirts, watches, walletts, etc. and we still walked through customs with no problems, which was a surprise after how they treated me in the interview room. So, go together with your partner and don't worry about knockoffs, I doubt anything will happen.

Many thanks,

-O

When my wife first came to Los Angeles with me on her K-1 visa, the immigration officer had me go through the process with her. Just tell them when they are directing people to the proper lines what your situation is and ask if you can attend her.

Once the wife got her green card we have always been directed to the "U.S. Citizen" line to be processed together. In six trips we have never been asked to use separate (Foreign/US Citizen) lines.

Hope this helps.

I have just went thru the foreign line with my wife when we have went home. I am American...she is Thai. The line is usually just a little longer, but it is worth the wait to me to make sure they don't give her any crap (not that they ever have). She has the 10 year tourist visa.

i just came back from thailand a few weeks ago. got thru to chicago, they checked a bag out of the 3 i had. looked at some stuff, smashed a few things as they carelessly shoved it back in... got thru no problems. i brought back a luggage full of clothing, a small bag full of jewelry [costume jewelry: i.e. chanel, dior, etc.], some other small wooden goods. nothing got confiscated, i just declared broad information such as: clothing, jewelry, gift gave a random price. got thru just fine.

last year, same time, i came back with 5-6 designer knock off bags. i came thru detroit, nothing was searched. i got thru fine.

however, i don't know the circumstances of other airports, so good luck.

Reasonable advice, and thanks for the link. I think I’ll stop now with the three Gucci wallets I have. T-shirts for every else!

-O

Hi, just to clarify this for you. By entering the US you agree to abide by -all- US and International laws. Any contraband is illegal. There are no exceptions or exemptions for -anyone- entering the US no matter what you are being told here. Wheather Immigrations does or does not choose to enforce the "letter of the law" is a crap shoot at best and not worth the chance of ruining your visit. Plain and simple... Up to you!

Hope you are still monitoring this thread and get this message.

Be safe and enjoy your visit.

Don

I find that my bags have been through the mill every time I return from Thailand. I usually have one entire large bag with assorted gifts for friends and family...including knockoffs.

I carefully fill out my customs declaration....writing "gifts" for any items I may have forgotten.

I never had a problem, other than broken items due to poor handling by security personnel.

I have been going in and out of BKK for a while now....I have brought a lot of knock of items....GIFTS is the key word.....who is to say that you bought knock off items?? You just smile all the time...people who have stuff to smuggle do not smile....number one....if you get pulled to the side for inspection....you just simply dumby up....say I believed they were the really deal....customs are looking for large quantities....not small timers......if they believe...which they will that you thought that the 3 or 4 LV items were really...they will not screw with you....

USA citizens are allowed $800 in duty free...that is alot of baht,......as long as you do not get greedy and are bringing in a small amount...no harm no foul......