Beginner 4x4 routes around Bangkok

Hello, 

I recently got a Ford 4x4 with the idea to get into off-roading as a potential new hobby. 

Im looking for some recommendations regarding beginner 4x4 routes around Bangkok for a weekend trip. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Haha 1

Hopefully others can chime in with any Social Media Farang-oriented off-road groups, but I can give you my experience in off-roading here.

In 2016 I also got a Ranger 4x4 and have explored around Rayong area some and also other places in Thailand.  Tried multiple routes to get over Khao Nang Yong hills just north of Map Ta Phut area, never successfully.  The trouble here is trails get washed out VERY quickly in wet season and go from 'beginner' to 'need A+ level expert driving and equipment' in less than a season.  Also, vegetation quickly overgrows if no one is trimming back or driving a trail constantly.

For a real "Beginner" trail that is well-travelled, I can recommend driving up to Phenoen Thung viewpoint in Kaeng Krachan NP.    https://maps.app.goo.gl/Edif9NRGDM14a1Yy6

You can camp up there as well.  Most vehicles are tours, but private vehicles can also drive.  A 4x2 could make it, but you're gonna torture the transmission on the way up and toast your brakes on the way down.  There was a new, red-plate Benz 'SUV' that had done it the day we did.  Badly damaged the rims of his 22" wheels.  "Talay Mog" (Sea of Fog) often seen from the top if you get there early enough in the morning.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, n8sail said:

Hopefully others can chime in with any Social Media Farang-oriented off-road groups, but I can give you my experience in off-roading here.

In 2016 I also got a Ranger 4x4 and have explored around Rayong area some and also other places in Thailand.  Tried multiple routes to get over Khao Nang Yong hills just north of Map Ta Phut area, never successfully.  The trouble here is trails get washed out VERY quickly in wet season and go from 'beginner' to 'need A+ level expert driving and equipment' in less than a season.  Also, vegetation quickly overgrows if no one is trimming back or driving a trail constantly.

For a real "Beginner" trail that is well-travelled, I can recommend driving up to Phenoen Thung viewpoint in Kaeng Krachan NP.    https://maps.app.goo.gl/Edif9NRGDM14a1Yy6

You can camp up there as well.  Most vehicles are tours, but private vehicles can also drive.  A 4x2 could make it, but you're gonna torture the transmission on the way up and toast your brakes on the way down.  There was a new, red-plate Benz 'SUV' that had done it the day we did.  Badly damaged the rims of his 22" wheels.  "Talay Mog" (Sea of Fog) often seen from the top if you get there early enough in the morning.

What a great answer, exactly what I was looking for. 🫡

Will definitely give it a try! 

On 9/9/2024 at 4:42 PM, CanNot said:

Hello, 

I recently got a Ford 4x4 with the idea to get into off-roading as a potential new hobby. 

Im looking for some recommendations regarding beginner 4x4 routes around Bangkok for a weekend trip. 

Thanks in advance. 

As a rule of thumb 4x4 vehicles out of the dealership are only good for very mild off road trips. The absolute minimum you need is A\T (all terrain) tires if you want to get to places 2x4 can't.

If you want to do more rough trails you should probably lift the car and put on larger wheels - I'd say at least 32". For extreme trails you'll need even larger wheels and better use offroad tires suck as extreme terrain or mud terrain tires, and other equipment such as winch.

Another rule is never go on rough\extreme trails alone. You should have at least one more vehicle with you, and much better to go in a group.

A few years ago I was into 4x4 trips. Was a member of 2 groups - 1 small group of amateur but well equipped guys, the other group led by a professional 4x4 modifier with lots of experience, tools and equipment.

When I first fitted my car I put on 32" jungle terrain tires. At that time most members used 31" tires so it was much easier for me to pass difficult places than it was for them. After a break from traveling I joined another trip, but by then all other member installed 34" wheels and I got stuck many times in places they passed with no effort. I actually broke both front and back axes and had to be towed all the way back to BKK... I then lifted my vehicle some more and put on 34" extreme terrain tires.

Anyway, good luck and have fun 👍