Water Tank Float Valves

Yellowtail

I don't know the details. But I know there are now valves which don't need a big floating element. I guess they work just by pressure. I used them before, and they can be adjusted very accurately.

I don't know the name of these things, but I guess you should be able to find them in relevant stores.

71khHpgltoL.jpg

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know the details. But I know there are now valves which don't need a big floating element. I guess they work just by pressure. I used them before, and they can be adjusted very accurately.

I don't know the name of these things, but I guess you should be able to find them in relevant stores.

71khHpgltoL.jpg

Is that in a toilet? 

I am talking about valves for water storage tanks. 

But I think the valve you posted has a diaphragm, and similarly to the "DOS" valve I posted above. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Is that in a toilet? 

I am talking about valves for water storage tanks. 

But I think the valve you posted has a diaphragm, and similarly to the "DOS" valve I posted above. 

What I saw was in a toilet. But the principle should be the same in a water tank.

I guess fewer mechanical parts is good for operation and maintenance.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I had to rework of my float-valves, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these plastic float valves: 

DOSValve.jpg.da7b0c5175e6d34cca74c21824dbd783.jpg

This is what I have now that I am thinking about replacing. 

DexsonValve.jpg.37c843e49e246b9dd9ddd0c41fe16930.jpg

Yes I use them in my tanks Brass.  do not use plastic they stuff up. 

I have two 700L water tanks on the ground floor, and a pump that pumps the water from the ground floor tanks to a single 1,500L tank on the roof.

Municiple water refills the ground floor tanks, and a float switch in the roof tank turns the ground floor pump off and on. 

It turns out the municipal water was off the other day, and we ran out of water last night. Both the ground floor tanks, and the roof tank were empty. 

The brass valves got stuck closed. They were easy enough to fix, but they were a PITA to remove and replace. 

I am wondering if the plastic type would be more reliable. The plastic type would also increase the tank capacity by about 10%

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes I use them in my tanks Brass.  do not use plastic they stuff up. 

True  but at 55 baht each, easy to replace every 6 months,  have them in my water tank + upstairs and downstairs toilets + in my Pond,

I buy a box works out @ 43 baht each + last 3 - 4 years.

1 minute ago, ignis said:

True  but at 55 baht each, easy to replace every 6 months,  have them in my water tank + upstairs and downstairs toilets + in my Pond,

I buy a box works out @ 43 baht each + last 3 - 4 years.

I have had  brass valves in my 1000 liter and 2000 liter tanks for 5 years never had to replace them. from memory I had to adapt the the tank fitting of PVC pipe into the tank, using a longer threaded piece into the tank.

Well, I replaced this: DexsonValve02.jpg.da29370aec140c8ed3d09decec7eda9f.jpgwith this:DOSValve02.jpg.ea81d3f187eadc2b271eb3dc85a45ac7.jpgin one of the ground floor tanks today, and from what I can tell, it's working great so far.

Advantages:

1. Much better flow, which was a surprise

2. About a 15% increase in tank capacity

3. Shuts of quickly and completely

4. Quieter

5. Easier installation 

6. About half the price

7. Much smaller and lighter.  

Disadvantages:

None so far, but the old brass valves did work fine for five or six years, and when it did get stuck, it was easy enough to fix. The plastic valve uses a diaphragm to open and close, which   may be more susceptible to debris. 

Given the how lightweight the valve is, I may install a mesh filter inside the tank before the valve. Likely this: 

Filter02.jpg.1761d4642ea821bc9227d886cf4ba55f.jpg

I have these before the hose-bibbs I use for the pressure-washer, and they seem to be cheap and reliable.