Chiang Rai Man Swept Away by Floodwaters After Checking Car Found Dead

Georgealbert

IMG_5529.jpeg

Picture courtesy of ThaiRath

Local authorities in Chiang Rai, on September 13, reported the discovery of the body of Mr. Udomsak Chueamuangphan, aged 29, who had been swept away by strong floodwaters in front of his mother.

The incident occurred on the morning of September 12, when Mr. Udomsak, a resident of Ban Pang Ngiu village in Robwiang subdistrict, Mueang district, went outside to check on his car parked near his home, which had been inundated by floodwaters. As he stood near the vehicle, he was caught off guard by the fast-moving current, losing his balance and disappearing beneath the water. His mother, Mrs. Kanokwan Chueamuangphan, 62, witnessed the tragedy from a short distance but was unable to help.

"I saw him fall, but at first, I didn’t realise it was my son. I wanted to rush to his aid, but my husband stopped me, fearing I would also be swept away by the strong current," Mrs. Kanokwan said. The family faced further complications, as they were unable to immediately seek help. Their mobile phone batteries were dead, and the power was out, making it impossible to contact rescue services. Flooded roads hindered movement, leaving the family isolated. It was only when soldiers delivering food supplies to flood victims passed by that they were able to report the incident.

Search and rescue teams, including the Siam Mae Lao rescue unit and the Sangtham Chiang Rai rescue unit, were immediately dispatched to search for Mr. Udomsak. However, with nightfall approaching, the search was postponed.

The next morning, on September 13, Mr. Udomsak’s body was recovered from the floodwaters. His remains have been sent to Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital for an autopsy.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-14

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2