Falang Egg Layer Chickens?

registeredfalang

Out at the Queens Sustainable Living farm/study center, they have the large red laying hens. I don't know if they sell chicks, but you can ask where they got them. Heading towards Mae Rim you take the left turn just past the Special Forces Base, just before you start heading down into Mae Rim.

OP must a country boy, used to farm eggs fresh from the source ... Otherwise, I don't understand the problem ... The Thai-hen eggs, I can get in this city can easily match whatever color, shape, or size any farlang-hen egg, I've ever seen, have had ... The big difference is taste - the eggs, even week old ones from Tesco Lotus, taste a whole lot more like eggs than the EU-homogenized ones, they sell in supermarkets in EU-farlang lands.

OP must a country boy, used to farm eggs fresh from the source ... Otherwise, I don't understand the problem ... The Thai-hen eggs, I can get in this city can easily match whatever color, shape, or size any farlang-hen egg, I've ever seen, have had ... The big difference is taste - the eggs, even week old ones from Tesco Lotus, taste a whole lot more like eggs than the EU-homogenized ones, they sell in supermarkets in EU-farlang lands.

I'm a little confused at the moment, more so than I am normally due to this new word that has appeared in a number posts recently. The word is FARLANG. Now I know what is phonetically pronounced falang or farang depending on one's preference for pronunciation. But a FARLANG (FAR-LANG) is certainly a new word to me. It doesn't resemble any word in Thai that I know of.

The Thai word for foreigner is ฝรัง and would be correctly pronounced FARANG, the word is commonly pronounced FALANG but never FARLANG. The Thai script payanchana (consonant) is Rorr Ruah, it is an R sound, not an L sound and definately not a RL sound.

Yeah right......Blinky's in a pedantic mood again.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I think Goshawk is definitely taking the p*ss. I don't know anything about poultry but I know a lot of farangs have been laid by young chicks in the Loi Kroh area. You might try there.

some on moon muang of the katoey variety- but theyre fowl!!! :D:D:o:D:D:bah:

I think Goshawk is definitely taking the p*ss. I don't know anything about poultry but I know a lot of farangs have been laid by young chicks in the Loi Kroh area. You might try there.

some on moon muang of the katoey variety- but theyre fowl!!! :D:D:D:D:bah::bah:

More Cock then Hen :o

I'm a little confused at the moment, more so than I am normally due to this new word that has appeared in a number posts recently. The word is FARLANG. Now I know what is phonetically pronounced falang or farang depending on one's preference for pronunciation. But a FARLANG (FAR-LANG) is certainly a new word to me. It doesn't resemble any word in Thai that I know of.

The Thai word for foreigner is ฝรัง and would be correctly pronounced FARANG, the word is commonly pronounced FALANG but never FARLANG. The Thai script payanchana (consonant) is Rorr Ruah, it is an R sound, not an L sound and definately not a RL sound.

Good point Mr. Bill. Some people just can't get it right when they attempt to speak Thai.

"Farlang" is a phonetic rendering of how it sounds when someone who doesn't have rolling R's in his native tongue, attempts to say ฝรัง, correctly ...

As a matter of fact: Neither "farang" nor "falang" (nor "farlang") tells how to express ฝรัง correctly - they merely give hints ... Consequently, none of them is the better for all ... Who knows - there might be a lot of non-native speakers (or maybe even native ones) that get better hints from "farlang". (Inasmuch as the double sound 'RL' does hint that some tongue gymnastics - not indicated by 'R' or 'L', in isolation - is involved).

. . . and unusually, for BB, off-topic. :D

I guess we should be grateful it's in English and not Malay . . . . :o

On topic: several friends visiting from the UK have commented on the good flavour of the Thai eggs, I tend to agree, so I'm not eggzactly sure what the OP is trying to achieve but I wish him and anyone luck if they are seeking out the "Good Life".

JxP

Good point Mr. Bill. Some people just can't get it right when they attempt to speak Thai.

Yeah, right - and you all know how people speak Thai by reading their English-languaged writings?

It's more that there is no such thing as one right way to transcribe the Thai language. Blinky's a pedantic without a cause.

"Farlang" is a phonetic rendering of how it sounds when someone who doesn't have rolling R's in his native tongue, attempts to say ฝรัง, correctly ...

As a matter of fact: Neither "farang" nor "falang" (nor "farlang") tells how to express ฝรัง correctly - they merely give hints ... Consequently, none of them is the better for all ... Who knows - there might be a lot of non-native speakers (or maybe even native ones) that get better hints from "farlang". (Inasmuch as the double sound 'RL' does hint that some tongue gymnastics - not indicated by 'R' or 'L', in isolation - is involved).

. . . and unusually, for BB, off-topic.

I guess we should be grateful it's in English and not Malay . . . .

And to continue "off topic".......What a load of crap CS.

Blinky's a pedantic without a cause.

But I do have a cause.

. . . and unusually, for BB, off-topic.

I guess we should be grateful it's in English and not Malay . . . .

And to continue "off topic".......What a load of crap CS.

Confusion seems to prevail on your side BB. Don't credit me for someone else's posts, please.

Here's my baby...

post-23786-1186332055.jpg

He's a rooster, of course, but he keeps all the hens very happy. Big Eggs.... :o

McG

You are quite right McG, the size of the eggs depends on the rooster. This one gives us eggs the size of Easter Eggs and they are available at most pet shops in Chiangmai.

post-42103-1186456938_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Did you get any serious replies, except the suggestion of trying the Queens Sustainable Living farm/study centre?

I have tried a search for that and got dsent back to this forum!! Did you find them?? I am looking for the same and would appreciate any assistance.

Best Wishes

Bobby

I have previously purchased egg layers from the Jungle Market out near Lampang. (Kad Tung Kwien.) and from a couple of places in Kham Tieng market. Unfortunately my dogs soon learned how to knock down the fence for the chicken run and all I had left were feathers.

Kad Tung Kwien also supplied me with geese, guineafowl and a pair of swans. I'm afraid the dogs had the lot!

Post script. I fully agree with Blinky in his pedantry here. Farang has always been the collect way to spell us! :o

Any one know where to buy baby or young egg laying chickens of the falang variety, rhode island reds or barred rock.....not the wild native chickens that are hard to catch and lay only a few small eggs.

Thanks in advance for info.....

I bought a hen and a cock at the animal section of the new flower market. (the road off the "T" junction opposite Niyom Panich) Large birds and profuse layers. I gave them away in the end as there was just too much chicken poop around the place. From memory they were about 500 baht each.

The Thai word for foreigner is ฝรัง and would be correctly pronounced FARANG, the word is commonly pronounced FALANG but never FARLANG. The Thai script payanchana (consonant) ร is Rorr Ruah, it is an R sound, not an L sound and definately not a RL sound.

Let me take the pedantry to the next level by informing you that you missed a mai-ek mark on the ร .

(Fa-rang is a low tone, hence the need for adding a mai-ek.)

Personally though I think Farlang is a great word as it says so much about the person using it. :o

The Thai word for foreigner is ฝรัง and would be correctly pronounced FARANG, the word is commonly pronounced FALANG but never FARLANG. The Thai script payanchana (consonant) ร is Rorr Ruah, it is an R sound, not an L sound and definately not a RL sound.

Let me take the pedantry to the next level by informing you that you missed a mai-ek mark on the ร .

(Fa-rang is a low tone, hence the need for adding a mai-ek.)

Personally though I think Farlang is a great word as it says so much about the person using it. :o

Well have you considered what Visa the Farang Chicken would have to be on, as 'laying' or 'to lay' is a job and would need a Work permit.

You would have to 'shell' out a lot of money for that, and if the chicken 'laid' illegally you would have 'egg all over your face' when the Immigration guys found out. This is of course just an 'eggtreme' scenario.

Did you get any serious replies, except the suggestion of trying the Queens Sustainable Living farm/study centre?

I have tried a search for that and got dsent back to this forum!! Did you find them?? I am looking for the same and would appreciate any assistance.

Best Wishes

Bobby

Bobby,

The Queens Center For Sustaibale Farming can be reached by leaving CM northbound on the canal road. When you get to the intersection with the CM/Mae Rim Rd turn left. Continue north towards Mae Rim passing the Army base on your left and then the Special Forces base, also on your left. Just past the Special Forces base is a road on the left. Take it and drive approximately 2 km. The Queen's Center is on the right. The chicken project is in the back over one of the ponds.

as i understand the thai commercial poultry [egg layers] business, the prefered layers are from rhode island red or barred rock varieties that produce the [mostly] delicious brown eggs that we have here. i say mostly delicious because altho the eggs are delicious when fresh and/or stored properly they are fresh tasting. i notice the difference between summer eggs that are never refridgerated and are flat looking and tasting and the winter eggs, when they are not exposed to heat are so much better tasting and looking, with firm yokes. therefore my desire to raise a few layers for home use.

the local [wild] varities do lay decent eggs, but smaller and less frequient and often place their nest in unaccessible locations, plus they free range and destroy useful and ornamental plants and make a lot more noise than their falang cousins.

and in the west [america] the prefered egg laying variety is the white leghorn that is the best producer over all and lays a white egg.

the color of the yoke [and taste] is mostly dependant upon the diet. if given greens [weeds or grass clippings], the yokes are bright yellow to orange and tasty. if only fed pellets, the yokes tend to be a pasty light yellow and are tastless.

so, if anyone does find a source of day old rhode island red or barred rock chicks, please share info......i'd like to have a dozen hens and one cock [no jokes please].