Leave the Country While Under Consideration

Coota

My marriage visa extension expires on 19 November this year. I may have to leave the country at short notice in the upcoming few months. I have two questions.

1. What is the minimum amount of time left on my extension before I have to apply for a new one? For example, can I apply a few days before my current one expires on November 19?

2. If I need to apply for my new extension a minimum of, say, 2  weeks before it expires, can I leave the country while I am in the "under consideration" period?

I will be using Surin Immigration and expect no problems with my marriage extension application as I am up to date with all the requirements.

At most offices you can apply for a new yearly extension when you have 30 days or less left on your current stamp

Once you apply and get the 30 day under consideration stamp you CAN indeed leave the country IF you buy a re-entry permit (which will be valid only for that under consideration stamp period) It goes without saying BUT I'll say it anyway, that you need to be back in country on/before the date your under consideration stamp runs out so you can show up at the immigration office on that day to get the year extension inked in

Also with more and more offices doing "home visits" for extensions nowadays let your immigration officer know when you apply you're going to be out of the country during the under consideration period, so that they can work around that if they need to do a home visit

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

At most offices you can apply for a new yearly extension when you have 30 days or less left on your current stamp

Once you apply and get the 30 day under consideration stamp you CAN indeed leave the country IF you buy a re-entry permit (which will be valid only for that under consideration stamp period) It goes without saying BUT I'll say it anyway, that you need to be back in country on/before the date your under consideration stamp runs out so you can show up at the immigration office on that day to get the year extension inked in

Also with more and more offices doing "home visits" for extensions nowadays let your immigration officer know when you apply you're going to be out of the country during the under consideration period, so that they can work around that if they need to do a home visit

Thanks Tod.