Watching videos on a LG TV – from my home computer

tomgreen

I use a program called TVMobili  Install the program, select which files and disks you want to view on Tv. That just about it. 

Works a treat on my Samsung.

I used to used another similar program Serviio, but for some reason changed. Can't remember why, probably just wanted to try something different.  

Anyways they both work just fine foe me. 

18 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Download and install LG smart share on your PC. Information can be found on the LG website.

Then place media files in the LG share folder on the PC and away you go.

Not available for Mac nor Linux. They recommend Plex :whistling:

4 hours ago, tomgreen said:

So Ive purchased a new LG smart tv and on the back of the TV there is an Ethernet port . I have run an ethernet cable from my home WiFi router to the LG TV. The same home WiFi router is also connected to both my computers ( 1 Mac + 1 Linux ) so the TV + Mac + Linux are all on the same home network .

On both my computers I have a separate desktop folder containing videos that Ive downloaded , which I can play and watch from both my computers. 

As the LG TV is connected to the same home network via the ethernet cable , I would like to find a way to watch the videos on the LG TV , that are in the desktop folder , on my computers. 

I know that I can watch some content ( Youtube ) directly on the LG TV using the internet connection provided via the connected ethernet cable , which is connected to my home WiFi router, but I would prefer to watch the videos I have stored on a desktop folder on my home computers. 

If possible I don’t really want to purchase a separate TV box .

So I’m looking for a way to watch the videos stored in a desktop folder on my computers , on my new LG TV.

Any ideas please.

Tom 

I have a 5meter HDMI cable I brought from Lazada.

3 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

I use a program called TVMobili  Install the program, select which files and disks you want to view on Tv. That just about it. 

Works a treat on my Samsung.

I used to used another similar program Serviio, but for some reason changed. Can't remember why, probably just wanted to try something different.  

Anyways they both work just fine foe me. 

Windows 11 / Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Just put a NAS drive on the router. Wifi all the movies around the home to any device.

Or put all your media onto OneDrive, install that onto your TVs, phones and computers and access  anywhere.

Or get an IPTV app for about 50 quid, install it on PCs via Bluestacks.

I have so many movies, series and live channels available, it will last me til my dying day.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AlwaysThere said:

This is a really strange board. Did I make a mistake in joining? 🤔

Curb your enthusiasm and the frustration will greatly reduce.

Yes, Plex or Kodi are solutions if LG smart share is not an option.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Or put all your media onto OneDrive, install that onto your TVs, phones and computers and access  anywhere

Has this all become one big joke? To see who can come up with least workable suggestions? Has @tomgreen upset everyone here? Am I missing the joke?

1 minute ago, Fruit Trader said:

Who said I was frustrated? It's just bizarre.

Plex, KODI, Jellyfin, Emby...

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have Android based IPTV on my PCs as well. I am not using Bluestacks on Windows as I find Windows Subsystem for Android less clunky (technical term!).

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Or put all your media onto OneDrive, install that onto your TVs, phones and computers and access  anywhere.

I have so many movies, series and live channels available, it will last me til my dying day.

Or no cost at all via KODI....

4 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

I've used Kodi for many years and I also have Plex. The problem with Plex and Kodi is that they are intrusive "my way or the highway" solutions, you have to basically let your collection be ordered by these. If you don't know what tags are and how best to organize a large collection with them, Kodi is not ideal, it's even more complex than Plex.

it's much neater to get a lightweight app to just connect to your laptops storage, without the need for starting a collection.

By far the simplest and best solution.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, AlwaysThere said:

But it's not about you, is it? Why hijack the thread?

What are you on about. I am simply telling ALL members, not just you, how I can watch what I want on my Smart TVs around the house. 

Almost a month on AN Mr There. Enjoying it? 

Just now, Cameroni said:

I've used Kodi for many years and I also have Plex. The problem with Plex and Kodi is that they are intrusive "my way or the highway" solutions, you have to basically let your collection be ordered by these. If you don't know what tags are and how best to organize a large collection with them, Kodi is not ideal, it's even more complex than Plex.

it's much neater to get a lightweight app to just connect to your laptops storage, without the need for starting a collection.

So what lightweight app is the simplest and best for @tomgreen and how will they install it?

2 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Agree.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, sometime said:

I just do it the easy way, put whatever I want to watch off my PC/ 5 hard drives onto a USB stick & stick it into the TV

How do you decide which of the movies on your 5 drives you want to watch?

Just now, AlwaysThere said:

So what lightweight app is the simplest and best for @tomgreen and how will they install it?

Well, the app that Fruittrader mentioned looks useful, the only downside you'd have to use the built in TV video player.

If you want to use a good quality video app, then CX File Explorer would let you pair it with any player of your choice. It's free, and shockingly eas to use.

Step 1. Download CX file explorer (either on the TV if possible, a connected mini pc or a android box, either would work)

Step 2  Find your laptops on the network and create a link to them in the app.

Step 3 Click the link and accesss your videos.

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What are you on about. I am simply telling ALL members, not just you, how I can watch what I want on my Smart TVs around the house. 

I'm sure you can find a thread on IPTV or even start your own.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

Well, the app that Fruittrader mentioned looks useful, the only downside you'd have to use the built in TV video player.

If you want to use a good quality video app, then CX File Explorer would let you pair it with any player of your choice. It's free, and shockingly eas to use.

Step 1. Download CX file explorer (either on the TV if possible, a connected mini pc or a android box, either would work)

Step 2  Find your laptops on the network and create a link to them in the app.

Step 3 Click the link and accesss your videos.

No, the downside is that you cannot install the apps in the first place. Neither of your suggestions can work.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So far, quite impressed by the level of intelligence shown here.