Harris and Oprah Lead Star-Studded Dialogue on Critical National Issues

Social Media

image.png

In a widely anticipated event in Michigan, Vice President Kamala Harris and Oprah Winfrey came together to address pressing national issues, including immigration, the economy, reproductive rights, and gun violence prevention. The event, featuring a live audience of 400 people, had the feel of Winfrey’s iconic talk show, with additional participation from celebrities like Ben Stiller, Jennifer Lopez, Bryan Cranston, Chris Rock, Julia Roberts, and Meryl Streep, who joined virtually.

A significant portion of the discussion focused on reproductive rights, with Harris and Winfrey spotlighting the devastating consequences of recent abortion restrictions. The event featured personal stories from individuals affected by these laws. Among them was Hadley Duvall, a Kentucky woman who became pregnant at age 12 after being raped by her stepfather.

Duvall has been outspoken about her experience, sharing her story at the Democratic National Convention and appearing in a Harris campaign ad to highlight the importance of reproductive freedom. Another tragic case highlighted was that of Amber Thurman, a 28-year-old Georgia mother who died after being denied care due to the state’s restrictive abortion law. ProPublica reported earlier this week that Thurman’s death was preventable.

Harris emphasized the widespread impact of abortion bans across the country, saying, “This story is a story that is sadly not the only story of what has been happening since these bans have taken place. In state after state, including yours, these abortion bans have been passed that criminalize health care providers.”

Winfrey asked Harris if the bans applied even when a mother’s life is in danger, to which the vice president responded, “Here’s the problem with that. Is she on death’s door because you actually decide to give her help? Is that what we’re saying? Literally, a doctor or nurse has to say; she might die any minute, better give her now care because otherwise, I may go to prison for life in some cases.”

Another poignant moment occurred during the segment on gun violence prevention, when Natalie, a survivor of the recent Georgia school shooting, recounted her harrowing experience of being shot twice in class. The shooting, which took place at Apalachee High School, left four people dead. Harris discussed the polarizing debate on gun control, saying, “I think for far too long on the issue of gun violence, some people have been pushing a really false choice to say you’re either in favor of the Second Amendment or you want to take everyone’s guns away. I’m in favor of the Second Amendment, and I’m in favor of assault weapons bans, universal background checks, red flag laws.”

When Winfrey brought up Harris’s own ownership of a gun, the vice president replied candidly, “If somebody breaks into my house, they’re getting shot. I probably should not have said that. My staff will deal with that later.”

The event also featured questions from voters on a range of issues. In response to a question about immigration, Harris reiterated her support for a bipartisan border deal that had been negotiated by senators but was opposed by former President Donald Trump. Harris stated she would sign the deal into law if it passed Congress. When asked about her plans for improving the economy, Harris touched on her initiatives to combat price gouging and support first-time homebuyers and small business entrepreneurs. She took a jab at Trump, saying, “We have so many entrepreneurs in our country who have great ideas, incredible work ethic, but not necessarily access to capital because not everybody, like my opponent, was handed $400 million on a silver plate that he filed bankruptcy six times on.”

Grassroots organizations supporting Harris were also represented at the event, including groups like Republicans for Harris, Swifties for Kamala, and Black Women for Harris. Harris highlighted the importance of unity, saying, “This movement that is about reminding each other that we have so much more in common than what separates us is so critically important.”

The event also featured enthusiastic praise for Harris from the celebrities who joined virtually. Chris Rock expressed his admiration for the vice president, saying, “I’ve always been a fan of Kamala… I’ve been writing her a check for a long time, and I want to bring my daughters to the White House to meet this Black woman president. I think she would make a great president, and I’m just, I’m ready to turn the page, man. All of the hate and negativity, it’s got to stop.”

Credit: The Hill 2024-09-21

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

Oprah, what a joke, and lost respect for her a long time ago.  Mind boggling how much of a bigot she is ... IMHO 

They be playing the race & sex card hard :coffee1: