Paint Peeling Off The Walls

pete_r

The paint on the lower part of my walls has been peeling off for a while now (see picture from under the stairway). This is happening only downstairs, not upstairs.

post-34951-1186225265_thumb.jpg

Is it humidity coming up from the ground, or something more sinister? And is there a way to solve the problem?

Thanks,

Sometimes if you strip off the offending paint and put a sealer and then repaint with gloss paint it will hold, but depends on how moist the area is. Gloss paint won't flake but if too moist it will just "bubble off" the surface so you should seal the surrounding area too.

Depending on the soil type and water table level it might be possible to improve the drainage around your house to eliminate this problem but in many situations this will not work. My house is a situation where if I had not provided a good drainage system I might have ended up with your problem. Also, we put a layer of coarse sand down before pouring the concrete floor....the coarse sand will not wick water up to the concrete floor...or course it is too late for you to do this and by itself it probably wouldn't solve the problem anyway.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Not too good at this "reply" business Just fired a blank, but, to get onto the topic ----

Sorrryy

Sinister is as sinister looks.  This little cutie goes by the name of "rising damp".  Many a medieaval manor suffered.  Hence the invention of wainscotting to cover it up.  The cause is osmosis within the masonry wall due to porosity of the building materials. This moisture then evaporates off the surface taking the plaster and paint with it. Often tiling up the wall will just let it rise further and annoy you at eye level.  The only sure-fire solution is to cut a new damproof course into the wall.

Been there and done that.Not fun.  Good luck!

I never fail to be impressed with the wealth of knowledge happily shared on this forum. Thanks for the quick and precise answers.

My house is very low above the water table (this is Bangkok!), so a better drainage is probably not possible. I guesstimate the water table to be 1 meter below the house, but it may be even less, judging by the water level in the empty land in the back of the moo baan.

I will look at the damproofing option, although that sounds like a longer term project.

Looking at the bright side, water evaporating from the walls must be absorbing some heat and help to cool down the rooms... :o

I never fail to be impressed with the wealth of knowledge happily shared on this forum. Thanks for the quick and precise answers.

My house is very low above the water table (this is Bangkok!), so a better drainage is probably not possible. I guesstimate the water table to be 1 meter below the house, but it may be even less, judging by the water level in the empty land in the back of the moo baan.

I will look at the damproofing option, although that sounds like a longer term project.

Looking at the bright side, water evaporating from the walls must be absorbing some heat and help to cool down the rooms... :o

looks like rising damp, you are on the right track with damp proofing as a solution

Is a DPC an option here? None is shown on our architects drawings, we are in a wet location so maybe a good option (we've not started constuction yet). How does one implement this on a concrete load-bearing column ?

Any idea what to call it to get the man to understand?

What is DPC?

Sorry, it's British term, Damp Proof Course, an impermiable membrane laid in the mortar between two courses of bricks about 8" above ground level, stops rising damp in its tracks :o

Not sure how you implement in concrete construction as in Thailand.

What is DPC?

DPC = Damp Proof Course

Normally a nonpermable membrane (polythene / plastic) layer between foundations and lower section of inner & outer walls, Approximately 100mm above ground level.

Regards

:D

OPP'S :D

To late, Never Mind :o

I try to help

:D

Edited by IvanLaw