Work permit and M.E visa to non b

Hi. I have a Multi Entry non o visa from Savannakhet. My wife has,a,business operating 6 months of the year(now till April.) My visa expires next May.  She went to a  local Thai  accountant in a provincial town   who is setting up a company for her. My wife will employ me for the required 40,000 baht per month and the accountant will get a work permit for me and I guess convert my non-o me to a non-b?. She says to get the work permit I will need to show 400,000 baht each 3 months to immigration. I understand that converting my visa to non-b would require showing funds but I understood the 40,000 baht income would be sufficient without needing to show 400,000 b.

5 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Hi. I have a Multi Entry non o visa from Savannakhet. My wife has,a,business operating 6 months of the year(now till April.) My visa expires next May.  She went to a  local Thai  accountant in a provincial town   who is setting up a company for her. My wife will employ me for the required 40,000 baht per month and the accountant will get a work permit for me and I guess convert my non-o me to a non-b?. She says to get the work permit I will need to show 400,000 baht each 3 months to immigration. I understand that converting my visa to non-b would require showing funds but I understood the 40,000 baht income would be sufficient without needing to show 400,000 b.

The work-permit comes from the Dept-of-Labor, not immigration.  You can get a work-permit on a Non-O ME-Visa, provided it is based on marriage to a Thai (not retirement).  The first time they give you the WP valid for 3 months only - then you go back and extend it for 1-year. 

If you switch to a 1-year extension-of-stay (based on marriage to a Thai) from Immigration, you would need to show you had 400K in your account for 2 months prior to applying for it.  Some remote provinces require you to show the 400K for 3 months before application.   You would not need to show the 400K again until the next year.

In either case, provided your permitted-stay is based on marriage to a Thai, you qualify for a work-permit.  A change to a Non-B would not be needed or desirable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

The work-permit comes from the Dept-of-Labor, not immigration.  You can get a work-permit on a Non-O ME-Visa, provided it is based on marriage to a Thai (not retirement).  The first time they give you the WP valid for 3 months only - then you go back and extend it for 1-year. 

If you switch to a 1-year extension-of-stay (based on marriage to a Thai) from Immigration, you would need to show you had 400K in your account for 2 months prior to applying for it.  Some remote provinces require you to show the 400K for 3 months before application.   You would not need to show the 400K again until the next year.

In either case, provided your permitted-stay is based on marriage to a Thai, you qualify for a work-permit.  A change to a Non-B would not be needed or desirable.

Hey Rob. Thank you. That makes me feel much more at ease. 

6 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Hey Rob. Thank you. That makes me feel much more at ease. 

You are welcome.  The accountant handling this may or may not know you can get a work-permit on a Non-0 marriage-based permitted-stay.  

I say this is preferable, because your permitted-stay is not invalidated by losing your work permit / job in the future.  With a Non-B, it is. 

The Dept-of-Labor will be fine with it - only care you are being paid the minimum-required salary - not what your bank-balance is.

52 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

You are welcome.  The accountant handling this may or may not know you can get a work-permit on a Non-0 marriage-based permitted-stay.  

I say this is preferable, because your permitted-stay is not invalidated by losing your work permit / job in the future.  With a Non-B, it is. 

The Dept-of-Labor will be fine with it - only care you are being paid the minimum-required salary - not what your bank-balance is.

Great. Thanks enormously. Understand😁

On 10/10/2024 at 6:06 AM, bigt3116 said:

Are you sure? The renewing every 3 months makes sense, as he only gets 90 days every entry.

This is what they did in my case, when I was on a Non-O-ME Visa based on marriage to a Thai.   Practices can vary from one labor-office to another, and over time, however. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

To get you a work permit in your wife's business she would need another Thai employee. 

Thanks. That is,all taken care of. It is just whether the multi entry visa is ok for the permit  is the question and whether I need to show 400,000 baht if I need to change the visa. I understood the 40,000 b she pays me per month would be enough without a lump sum. 

3 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Thanks. That is,all taken care of. It is just whether the multi entry visa is ok for the permit  is the question and whether I need to show 400,000 baht if I need to change the visa. I understood the 40,000 b she pays me per month would be enough without a lump sum. 

You're probably aware that the Non Imm O ME now requires 400K THB in a Thai bank account for 2 months.
If/when the Embassy/Consulates change to e-visa applications, then it won't be available any more.

To entitled to work legally when married to a Thai, just require a work permit.
The question is, do you intend to apply for an extension based on employment or Thai spouse.
For employment, the minimum income is 50K per month for an Australian.
400K for 2 months prior to applying based on Thai spouse - the funds can then be withdrawn.

Edited by Liquorice