How Trump and Harris Converge on Key Policies Despite Political Polarization

Social Media

image.png

In an era defined by political division, it may come as a surprise that America’s two most prominent political figures, Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump, share more policy positions than their heated rhetoric might suggest. While they represent opposing ends of the political spectrum, the consensus that has emerged on several major issues reveals a striking alignment, driven by shifting demographics and evolving political coalitions.

Though Harris and Trump possess vastly different worldviews and governing styles, many of their disagreements seem to focus more on presentation than substance. Beneath the surface, the policies they support reflect a convergence of priorities shaped by the electorate. This shared ground can be traced to the need for both candidates to appeal to a broader range of voters as they move closer to the general election.

For instance, both Harris and Trump agree on the need for stronger borders and tougher immigration laws. The Biden administration has enacted restrictions on asylum that closely resemble the policies Trump once championed — policies they previously opposed. This shift reflects the administration's pragmatic response to rising concerns over border security.

Another area of convergence is China. Both Harris and Trump view Beijing as the primary national security threat of the 21st century, even as other global conflicts, such as those in the Middle East and Ukraine, dominate headlines. The House Select Committee on China remains one of the most bipartisan bodies in Congress, a reflection of the growing consensus on the need to curb China's influence on the global stage.

Domestic energy production is another realm where their positions have aligned. Trump’s repeated calls to “drill, baby, drill” are echoed by record levels of U.S. oil and gas production under the Biden administration. While the two camps might differ in rhetoric, the practical outcomes suggest a shared commitment to increasing energy independence.

The two figures also agree on the need to foster U.S. manufacturing, though their approaches differ. Trump advocates for massive tariffs to compel companies to produce domestically, while Harris supports tax credits like those in the CHIPS Act and Inflation Reduction Act. Both strategies reflect a break from the free-trade consensus of the 1990s and a recognition that America’s industrial base requires revitalization.

There are other surprising areas of agreement. Harris and Trump have both expressed support for protecting in-vitro fertilization (IVF) treatments and oppose a national abortion ban. Trump recently suggested making IVF free for women in need, a proposal that raised eyebrows even within his own party. On abortion, despite appointing the justices who overturned *Roe v. Wade*, Trump now says he would veto a federal abortion ban if it passed Congress, seeking to neutralize the issue ahead of the election.

Social programs and the economy provide further examples of alignment. Both Harris and Trump support expanding child-care assistance for parents, with Harris proposing a $6,000 child tax credit for new parents, while Republican Senator JD Vance recently floated a similar $5,000 proposal. On Social Security and Medicare, Trump has vowed not to touch these programs, even suggesting cuts to Social Security taxes for seniors — a move designed to court older voters. 

Meanwhile, despite their differences in economic philosophy, neither candidate seems particularly concerned about the growing national deficit. Both Harris and Trump’s platforms are projected to add trillions to the U.S. fiscal deficit over the next decade. And although Trump’s plans are costlier, the deficit remains a background issue, reflecting the current political reality that voter priorities lie elsewhere.

Trump’s base now consists largely of working-class Americans, including union members and non-white voters. This shift has prompted him to embrace more expansive government programs — a striking departure from traditional conservative orthodoxy. In contrast, Harris’ base has expanded to include wealthier, white Americans, and she is courting Never-Trump Republicans in key swing states, prompting her to moderate some of her more liberal positions. 

These shifts in voter demographics and political priorities have created an unexpected alignment between two figures often seen as emblematic of America’s deep political divide. While Harris and Trump certainly have fundamental differences on key issues like executive power, environmental regulations, and foreign policy, their shared stances on issues like immigration, energy, and economic aid reveal a broader consensus that cuts across party lines. 

Based on a report from AXIOS 2024-10-11

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

The difference is with trump (a) you don’t know if he’s just lying to pander votes and something has to be in it for him.With Harris it’s genuinely for the betterment of the countery.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Tug said:

The difference is with trump (a) you don’t know if he’s just lying to pander votes and something has to be in it for him.With Harris it’s genuinely for the betterment of the countery.

The difference  is Trump comes up with the policies and Kamala pretends to adopt them if she thinks they will get votes. Trump doesnt move towards what Kamala comes up with she copies him. The problem is she just said she wouldn't change a thing in the past four years. 

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

The difference  is Trump comes up with the policies and Kamala pretends to adopt them if she thinks they will get votes. Trump doesnt move towards what Kamala comes up with she copies him. The problem is she just said she wouldn't change a thing in the past four years. 

How is that a problem? The past four years under biden couldnt have been handled better. Everything is more affordable and the border has been contained way better than that orange guy could ever do

Edited by mdr224

1 minute ago, mdr224 said:

How is that a problem? The past four years under biden have been a swimmingly success. Everything is more affordable and the border has been contained way better than that orange guy could ever do

So long as I can get an abortion nationwide with no limits. My main coincern is I end up somewhere like Alabama. On my way home I stumble and fall on a penis with no condom, I ride it bareback until,it ejaculates inside of me, ignore the day after pill and  and then agonize for 7 months before deciding motherhood isn't for me. 

This happens to me all the time.

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

So long as I can get an abortion nationwide with no limits. My main coincern is I end up somewhere like Alabama. On my way home I stumble and fall on a penis with no condom, I ride it bareback until,it ejaculates inside of me, ignore the day after pill and  and then agonize for 7 months before deciding motherhood isn't for me. 

This happens to me all the time.

We can’t help you with your preferences but hey look at it this way a Harris administration won’t be trying to interfere in your sex life.but that’s just one issue I like her ideas on small startup tax breaks tax breaks for kids help buying your first home keep in mind you still have to build your credit so that’s not a freebie but a helping hand.not taxing tips is a good idea im glad she agrees.we haven’t been allowed the auto / credit card deduction since 1986 that would help a lot of people im curious about how big a shortfall that would create.perhaps if the fat cats paid their fair share it would be doable.

11 minutes ago, Tug said:

We can’t help you with your preferences but hey look at it this way a Harris administration won’t be trying to interfere in your sex life.but that’s just one issue I like her ideas on small startup tax breaks tax breaks for kids help buying your first home keep in mind you still have to build your credit so that’s not a freebie but a helping hand.not taxing tips is a good idea im glad she agrees.we haven’t been allowed the auto / credit card deduction since 1986 that would help a lot of people im curious about how big a shortfall that would create.perhaps if the fat cats paid their fair share it would be doable.

What do you think will happen to housing markets in rural America if you offer $25k, where houses can cost less than $100k and even around $50K? Doesn't it seem like limiting it to first time buyers would only eliminate Americans from participating?

Edited by Cryingdick