Land, Splitting It Up On New Deeds

The girkfriend wants to buy 200 sq wah in Bang Saen, location is okay, and cost is 400,000 baht after some hard bargaining. Land on a single chanote. She has the dosh in her bank and can do the deal on her own. However she wants to build a big house on the land. I said buy the 200 sq wah, divide it into one 100 sq wah plot for her and sell the rest as two 50 sqwah plots after going to the land office and getting the chanote changed into three separate chanotes. The land is already surrounded by houses on similar sized plots so it would actually fit perfectly into the existing area.

She is not convinced that this is possible but I am fairly sure it is.

Anyone know the costs involved or indeed if there is some reason why it can't be done. She has enough money in addition to build new walls around the plots and probably do the foundations, so some work can be started whilst she tries to sell the new plots (I said I would pay for some ad's in the Pattaya Mail, big of me I know at 200 baht a pop!). The plan to get as much of the 400k back as possible, which given some of the prices we have come across in Bang Saen in worse locations I think is possible.

I helped her before buying and selling a property from a bank on which we (okay, she) made 200k profit in a year so she is quite willing to be led to slaughter...

My sister in law owned a piece of land and it was split in half so we could buy half and her brother could buy half. Can't remember the fee but it was in the order of 2,000 baht or so....maybe less....certainly not a major amount. You also are required to have the new land boundaries surveyed and lahkhet (conceret boundary markers) put in....this cost about 2,000 baht and the price will depend on how much work needs to be done but again not a major expense. It was easy to do......I suggest taking the wife down to the land office and having her ask them what all is involved and what the expected fees will be.

Just an additional thought...you might want to ask specifically about dividing the plot you are interested in because the plot we split was 12 rai split into two 6 rai parcels.....there may be a limit as to how small you can divide to and this may depend on its location and zoning.

The girkfriend wants to buy 200 sq wah in Bang Saen, location is okay, and cost is 400,000 baht after some hard bargaining. Land on a single chanote. She has the dosh in her bank and can do the deal on her own. However she wants to build a big house on the land. I said buy the 200 sq wah, divide it into one 100 sq wah plot for her and sell the rest as two 50 sqwah plots after going to the land office and getting the chanote changed into three separate chanotes. The land is already surrounded by houses on similar sized plots so it would actually fit perfectly into the existing area.

She is not convinced that this is possible but I am fairly sure it is.

Anyone know the costs involved or indeed if there is some reason why it can't be done. She has enough money in addition to build new walls around the plots and probably do the foundations, so some work can be started whilst she tries to sell the new plots (I said I would pay for some ad's in the Pattaya Mail, big of me I know at 200 baht a pop!). The plan to get as much of the 400k back as possible, which given some of the prices we have come across in Bang Saen in worse locations I think is possible.

I helped her before buying and selling a property from a bank on which we (okay, she) made 200k profit in a year so she is quite willing to be led to slaughter...

Why would you want to make it even smaller? That's only a half rai to start with. By the time you have a little garden you won't have much room left. A nice yard and garden makes a property much more valuable particularly with a two meter wall built around it.