No More 5 Years Renewal For Farang ?

Krub

Hi,

It has been reported in another thread in the visa forum that a 5 year renewal was refused to a farang although his wife renewing at the same time got hers.

He only got a 1 year renewal.

Anybody confirms this same experience recently ?

I renewed mine for 5 years last February with no problems (up country)

Cheers

This is the post in question:

Sheryl, seems to depend on where you apply for your next 12 months, the word here is that it has been removed but when I went up to Mae Hong Son in June, I ended up waiting four hours in the local hospital to see a doc for two minutes to provide the health certificate, not a complete waste of time as I needed one anyway to extend my drivers license for another year, the five year license has been scrapped for falang. now you renew every year...

Colin

Quick question....

The dates on my 1 year read as follows:-

28 ศ.ก. 2549 - 28 ศ.ก. 2550

So what month is that please ?...........Sor Gor :o

August. So need to renew after the 28th of August to get a 5 year license. So let us know how it goes if you are renewing.

• 3 weeks later...
Got a renewal licence for 5 years today , absolutely no problem. Just wish visas were as easy.

I provided :-

medical certificatex2

passportx2

proof of residencex2

photos 1 inch sq.x4

old driving licencesx2

Money 760฿

Is it one of the new style cards? with the picture scanned into the plastic?

Lifetime Thai DL.. Thats a new one on me !!

I had almost the exact reverse of this.. I was told by a Thai woman I know that I would not get a 5 year, she had just been refused her Thai 5 year and told she could only have a 1 year and she had to do it annulaly, she claimed it was standard 'new practice'.

I went for renewal in June July time and did get a 5year for both bike and car.. This was only a week or two after she was told no at the same office (Phuket)..

Why or how your guess is as good as mine.

Like one-eyed John, I got my 5 year license this week, although my medical certificate cost me 880 baht, and I paid 760 for the two licenses (car and bike). Mine is not digitized/scanned; I provided new 1-inch X 1-inch photos. These cards have a red stripe across the top.

Just to clarify, last year because of my eye ( one only) they insisted I go to a specific hospital for a test, which I did. This requirement was not repeated this year. But on requesting my med cert this year the doctor actually saw me, stuck a stethoscope up my bum ( joking ) and wrote saying my eye was not detrimental to my driving.

Licence is not digitzied , but it does look nice after lamination :o

From what I have heard, and I can't remember where I saw it when researching the issue, after turning 65 years of age, the license reverts back to a one year again. I hope I am wrong on this one? Perhaps this age limit is what some are refering to when they should be entitled to a 5 year, but are only receiving 1??

Quick question....

The dates on my 1 year read as follows:-

28 ศ.ก. 2549 - 28 ศ.ก. 2550

So what month is that please ?...........Sor Gor :o

August. So need to renew after the 28th of August to get a 5 year license. So let us know how it goes if you are renewing.

There is no Thai month that begins with ศ. August is the only one that begins with an s sound, but is spelled สิงหาคม, and the abbreviation would ส.ค.

Edited by qualtrough

The dates on my 5 year now read 31 ธ.ก. 2555

I reckon that is december which is a <deleted> up ( to my benefit ) from the above renewal date........

Yes, that is December. But they give you a 5 year license that is valid for 5 years PLUS the days up to your following birthday.

So you were born on New Year's Eve? :o