Why is Trump so obsessed with YMCA?

SoCal1990

It's fantastic that Trump so deeply respects and embraces the LBGTQ community and so openly. He will even play that "YMCA" gay anthem song no less than 3 to 4 times during the course of one rally. Good on him. He also plays "Macho Man", another well known gay anthem. As well as the song "Freedom" by George Michael, again, another fantastic gay anthem. So he's obsessed with gay anthems, that’s super. But instead of playing YMCA, and just these other two songs over and over again, why doesn't somebody give him a full gay anthem playlist? It would at least add some more gay musical variety to his political events. In fact, here are at least 10 more 80’s gay anthems that he should be playing at his rallies. 

“I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor

“It’s Raining Men” – The Weather Girls

“Smalltown Boy” – Bronski Beat

“I’m Coming Out” – Diana Ross

“Relax” – Frankie Goes to Hollywood

“You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” – Sylvester

“Like a Virgin” – Madonna

“Love is a Stranger” – Eurythmics

“So Many Men, So Little Time” – Miquel Brown

“True Colors” – Cyndi Lauper

Who doesn’t love them all? Can’t go wrong with any of these. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I have wondered?

If one is unaware of the "gay connotations" YMCA is a catchy little song with some chaps in jolly costumes!

Its rather bizarre nature perhaps lends itself to Trumps desire to demonstrate how "in tune" with modern life! It also lends itself to the weird little jig which he performs to it.

Trump appears unaware that it is a "gay icon". Given that he is manifestly not gay, it rather suggests two answers to the question posed: 1) He is simply too out of touch to be aware of it, and for some reason it has stuck in his mind from (relatively) long ago. 2) Who ever is responsible for managing/advising his presentation is either incompetent verging on stupid, completely ignored, or playing a particularly vicious and effective practical joke.

I suspect a combination of these, compounded by Trumps own inherent buffoonery and unwillingness to be advised.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I have wondered?

If one is unaware of the "gay connotations" YMCA is a catchy little song with some chaps in jolly costumes!

Its rather bizarre nature perhaps lends itself to Trumps desire to demonstrate how "in tune" with modern life! It also lends itself to the weird little jig which he performs to it.

Trump appears unaware that it is a "gay icon". Given that he is manifestly not gay, it rather suggests two answers to the question posed: 1) He is simply too out of touch to be aware of it, and for some reason it has stuck in his mind from (relatively) long ago. 2) Who ever is responsible for managing/advising his presentation is either incompetent verging on stupid, completely ignored, or playing a particularly vicious and effective practical joke.

I suspect a combination of these, compounded by Trumps own inherent buffoonery and unwillingness to be advised.

Back in the 80's, when those two Village People songs, YMCA and Macho Man were at their peek popularity, Trump was a heavy club goer in NYC. The Village People thing was everywhere at that time, just like the transvestite themed Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Everyone at the time clearly knew these songs were gay anthems, including Trump. Even the dressing styles of the Village People band members became a popular fashion style amongst the gay scene in New York City. 

So Trump clearly knows the deal with these gay songs. You could try to argue that now he's too old and he's already forgotten these things, but then how could anyone even suggest the man is mentally fit to be president if he can no longer even recognize the overt differences in human sexuality.

And that weird little jig you mentioned that he does on stage, that is also very fitting with the context of these two gay themed songs. But don't take my word for it, Dave Bautista explains it a lot better than I, and it appears to further involve giraffes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1