Health Insurance for UK visit

yang123

The missus and I fancy a visit to the old country next Spring: it will be our first since pre-Covid times: many old pals to see, places to visit etc.

But what about health/accident insurance? We're no longer registered with a UK GP (been in Thailand over 20 years).  We're also both getting on a bit (60s and 70s) with a usual range of "prior conditions".

In the event of an accident or eruption of a health problem, neither of us fancy queuing up in an Emergency Room for hours and hours.  Are there insurable alternatives?

TIA!

Edited by yang123
typos

There are several companies here who do travel insurance. I used a broker called Frank Insurance and went with AXA last time I went out of Thailand. Luckily I didn't use it.

The one stupid thing about the policy is that it doesn't start until 3 hours before your departure time, so if you had an accident or hold up while driving to the airport, it would not be covered. Not too expensive, Bht 1200 for two weeks.

There are insurers in Thailand that offer outbound travel insurance. Best stick with the local operation of one of the major multinational companies such as AXA, AIG, etc. and use a good broker to help you find what works best for you, although there isn't much difference between local offerings.

Note that the medical limits tend to be low. I think the maximum that AXA offers is 4 million baht and AIG 5 million. There are options from offshore sources that may offer higher limits if that is of importance to you. Just make sure that you're dealing with one of the larger insurers domiciled in a jurisdiction with good oversight such as UK, EU, etc. and use a broker.

Good luck.